Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pleaseberkeley

New

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Post by pleaseberkeley » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:21 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:So Law Schools don't care about a low GPA due to working hours, any essays, letters of recommendations from professors, work experience or internships?

Is the general consensus on this board that letters and essays are there for a formalized process, but literally just get a high GPA and LSAT score? Like unless you are applying to Yale, Stanford, or Berkeley (the ones which I have heard actually look beyond numbers) just get as high of an LSAT and GPA possible? Nothing matters but GPA and LSAT correct?

The schools you mentioned are all really GPA focused. It's rare anyone sub-3.8 gets in.
Uhh a 3.8 is higher than the 25th percentile GPA of all of those schools. a 3.8 is higher than Berkeley law's 50th percentile GPA.
Yale's 25th is 3.86, with a median of 3.93. Stanford's is a 3.78 with a 3.89 median. So a 3.8 is barely above Stanford's 25th, and it isn't above Yale's.

I'm not quite sure what your goal is in this thread. Do you want someone to pat you on the head and tell you that your application will be extra-special? That you'll get in through sheer moxie and charm? Because that isn't happening.
Information was the reason. But I am curious to see where you got this idea from please tell...

zeglo

Silver

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Post by zeglo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:29 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:48 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:So Law Schools don't care about a low GPA due to working hours, any essays, letters of recommendations from professors, work experience or internships?

Is the general consensus on this board that letters and essays are there for a formalized process, but literally just get a high GPA and LSAT score? Like unless you are applying to Yale, Stanford, or Berkeley (the ones which I have heard actually look beyond numbers) just get as high of an LSAT and GPA possible? Nothing matters but GPA and LSAT correct?

The schools you mentioned are all really GPA focused. It's rare anyone sub-3.8 gets in.
Uhh a 3.8 is higher than the 25th percentile GPA of all of those schools. a 3.8 is higher than Berkeley law's 50th percentile GPA.
Yale's 25th is 3.86, with a median of 3.93. Stanford's is a 3.78 with a 3.89 median. So a 3.8 is barely above Stanford's 25th, and it isn't above Yale's.

I'm not quite sure what your goal is in this thread. Do you want someone to pat you on the head and tell you that your application will be extra-special? That you'll get in through sheer moxie and charm? Because that isn't happening.
According to the 2019 Medians Spreadsheet, the 25th at Yale is 3.79, and the 25th at Berkeley is 3.65, and the medians at the two schools are 3.89 and 3.79, respectively. So I think it would be fair to say that, paired with a strong LSAT, a 3.8 would be very competitive at Berkeley, and would give you at least an outside shot at Yale. Why be so harsh?

toobig2lose

New

Post by toobig2lose » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Not necessary, and not that better than some work you're passionate about. Basically find work but find work that you'll enjoy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”