Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pleaseberkeley

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:39 pm

Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby pleaseberkeley » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:15 pm

My counselor told me that the way to get into corporate law is to have worked at a corporation. He said that every law school has a certain focus. Getting into a law school that focuses on big law is what I need to do, and the best way to do that is to have some work experience in a big corporation. Apparently, there are some things I should be learning about corporation or big companies by working in one, and a Law School focusing on Biglaw typically hires an applicant who does so.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Your counselor is an idiot. Well-intentioned, I'm sure. But an idiot.

If you want to work in biglaw, you want to go to the T14. If you want to go to the T14, you need a high LSAT and high GPA. You absolutely do not have to have corporate work experience to get into law school, and it has little-to-no effect when interviewing for biglaw jobs.

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby mjb447 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:27 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Your counselor is an idiot. Well-intentioned, I'm sure. But an idiot.

Can't improve on this. Not only do biglaw firms not care whether you worked in a corporation, but it's unlikely that much substantive knowledge would transfer (particularly if you're only going to be there for six months or a year or something).

acr

Silver
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby acr » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:39 pm

Your counselor doesn't know shit and should be fired.

HonestAdvice

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby HonestAdvice » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:16 pm

It is a benefit to have this experience, but not for law school. You'll interview better, have connections that could be helpful and probably be better early in your career than a clone of you without the experience. For getting into law school, there's no value and everything I mentioned is unascertainable and theoretical (i.e. in many cases it will have 0 value).

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby Mikey » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:24 pm

No, it's not at all necessary. I mean, if you want to work in a corporation then go for it, but you do not NEED to.

HYPSM

Bronze
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby HYPSM » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm always astounded by how little pre-law advisors actually know about law school. It's almost like they've never attended law school or practiced law before.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby Rigo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Prelaw advisors and counsellors are inept.

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Absolutely not.

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:16 pm

In my opinion it's best not to take law school related advice from anyone who either hasn't gone to law school or hasn't been through the process of applying to law schools. From my experience most people who don't have the experience but still try giving advice have no idea what they're talking about. Occasionally you'll get good guidance but more often than not you'll get crap like what your advisor is spewing. Almost everything you need to know can be found somewhere on the Internet.

pleaseberkeley

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:39 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby pleaseberkeley » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:43 am

So Law Schools don't care about a low GPA due to working hours, any essays, letters of recommendations from professors, work experience or internships?

Is the general consensus on this board that letters and essays are there for a formalized process, but literally just get a high GPA and LSAT score? Like unless you are applying to Yale, Stanford, or Berkeley (the ones which I have heard actually look beyond numbers) just get as high of an LSAT and GPA possible? Nothing matters but GPA and LSAT correct?

User avatar
Wolfie91

Silver
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby Wolfie91 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:45 am

only work experience I ever had was waiting tables and working at a children's trampoline park.

Your counselor is on bath salts.

User avatar
Wolfie91

Silver
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby Wolfie91 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:47 am

pleaseberkeley wrote:So Law Schools don't care about a low GPA due to working hours, any essays, letters of recommendations from professors, work experience or internships?

Is the general consensus on this board that letters and essays are there for a formalized process, but literally just get a high GPA and LSAT score? Like unless you are applying to Yale, Stanford, or Berkeley (the ones which I have heard actually look beyond numbers) just get as high of an LSAT and GPA possible? Nothing matters but GPA and LSAT correct?


Law schools absolutely do care about your GPA. You can write an addendum, but it's still a low GPA. If you say "ya it's low, but that's because I was working as an undergrad", I don't think that shit's gonna fly.

Just get a high LSAT and get as high of a GPA as possible. Don't worry about everything else. Put yourself in the best position to get into a T-14/strong regional in an area you want to work in, and then you can decide whether you want to take a year off and work before going to law school.

User avatar
MKC

Diamond
Posts: 16246
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby MKC » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:47 am

Wolfie91 wrote:only work experience I ever had was waiting tables and working at a children's trampoline park.

Your counselor is on bath salts.


This is unfair to bath salts.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:37 am

pleaseberkeley wrote:So Law Schools don't care about a low GPA due to working hours, any essays, letters of recommendations from professors, work experience or internships?

Is the general consensus on this board that letters and essays are there for a formalized process, but literally just get a high GPA and LSAT score? Like unless you are applying to Yale, Stanford, or Berkeley (the ones which I have heard actually look beyond numbers) just get as high of an LSAT and GPA possible? Nothing matters but GPA and LSAT correct?


Sure, other things matter. But not if your GPA and LSAT are too low for the school to accept you in the first place. So if you're a 169/3.8 applying to NYU, and I'm a 169/3.8 applying to NYU, my work experience might get me admitted over you. But if the difference was that we were exactly the same except for your having worked in a corporate setting and my having worked as a chef, then all bets are off.

Oh, and Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley can pretend that they "look beyond numbers" all they want. Their medians say otherwise.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:57 am

pleaseberkeley wrote:So Law Schools don't care about a low GPA due to working hours, any essays, letters of recommendations from professors, work experience or internships?

Is the general consensus on this board that letters and essays are there for a formalized process, but literally just get a high GPA and LSAT score? Like unless you are applying to Yale, Stanford, or Berkeley (the ones which I have heard actually look beyond numbers) just get as high of an LSAT and GPA possible? Nothing matters but GPA and LSAT correct?

Like 95% of the time. The very very tip top schools can select people will great numbers AND great work experience/etc., but great numbers without anything else will take you a VERY long way, and great experience without great numbers will not.

timbs4339

Gold
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:27 pm

pleaseberkeley wrote:So Law Schools don't care about a low GPA due to working hours, any essays, letters of recommendations from professors, work experience or internships?

Is the general consensus on this board that letters and essays are there for a formalized process, but literally just get a high GPA and LSAT score? Like unless you are applying to Yale, Stanford, or Berkeley (the ones which I have heard actually look beyond numbers) just get as high of an LSAT and GPA possible? Nothing matters but GPA and LSAT correct?


That's not just "the consensus on this forum." That's what the data actually bears out (check LSN).

Also I second the rec that your counselor needs to be fired. If that's the kind of advice you are getting than I shudder as to what he's been telling other students.

HonestAdvice

Bronze
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby HonestAdvice » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:11 pm

pleaseberkeley wrote:So Law Schools don't care about a low GPA due to working hours, any essays, letters of recommendations from professors, work experience or internships?

Is the general consensus on this board that letters and essays are there for a formalized process, but literally just get a high GPA and LSAT score? Like unless you are applying to Yale, Stanford, or Berkeley (the ones which I have heard actually look beyond numbers) just get as high of an LSAT and GPA possible? Nothing matters but GPA and LSAT correct?

To a large extent, the reviewers don't have complete control over whether to accept you. These things are strategized at different points of the year around the numbers. They're not interpreting your #'s as "well, the 3.3 is low but the resume shows they worked 20 hours a week so I'm going to treat the 3.3 like a 3.6". If you're below the #'s you're essentially automatically rejected unless you have something really special. Working hard isn't really special. The fact you may have been disadvantaged relative to wealthier students is unfair, but the reviewers aren't gods trying to make the world a fairer place. They are ordinary men and women just trying to hit their quota.

The schools you mentioned are all really GPA focused. It's rare anyone sub-3.8 gets in. Looking beyond the #'s doesn't mean they're taking a 3.3 over a 3.8 because the 3.3 provided for their family of Syrian refugees by working 60 hour weeks while in college. It means that it's possible a 4.0 180 will be rejected, because they come across as an asshole or a 3.8 170 may get in over a 4.0 175, because they' both hit the #'s, but the former seems more impressive.
Last edited by HonestAdvice on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby Nebby » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:14 pm

pleaseberkeley wrote:So Law Schools don't care about a low GPA due to working hours, any essays, letters of recommendations from professors, work experience or internships?

Is the general consensus on this board that letters and essays are there for a formalized process, but literally just get a high GPA and LSAT score? Like unless you are applying to Yale, Stanford, or Berkeley (the ones which I have heard actually look beyond numbers) just get as high of an LSAT and GPA possible? Nothing matters but GPA and LSAT correct?

Law schools care about three things, in this order:
LSAT
GPA
Everything else

User avatar
Wolfie91

Silver
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby Wolfie91 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:16 pm

lmao he shouldn't be fired because of it. Come on now. He's just stupid. It's not like he's intentionally trying to hijack this guy's chances of getting into law school. He just doesn't know any better.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby Nebby » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Wolfie91 wrote:lmao he shouldn't be fired because of it. Come on now. He's just stupid. It's not like he's intentionally trying to hijack this guy's chances of getting into law school. He just doesn't know any better.

I also assume that this kids counselor may know one guy who worked a at a corp for a few years and then got good grades at a T2 and was one of the lucky ones to hustle and land biglaw. So he's extrapolating from that one datapoint

pleaseberkeley

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:39 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby pleaseberkeley » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:33 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:So Law Schools don't care about a low GPA due to working hours, any essays, letters of recommendations from professors, work experience or internships?

Is the general consensus on this board that letters and essays are there for a formalized process, but literally just get a high GPA and LSAT score? Like unless you are applying to Yale, Stanford, or Berkeley (the ones which I have heard actually look beyond numbers) just get as high of an LSAT and GPA possible? Nothing matters but GPA and LSAT correct?



The schools you mentioned are all really GPA focused. It's rare anyone sub-3.8 gets in.

Uhh a 3.8 is higher than the 25th percentile GPA of all of those schools. a 3.8 is higher than Berkeley law's 50th percentile GPA.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:56 pm

pleaseberkeley wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:So Law Schools don't care about a low GPA due to working hours, any essays, letters of recommendations from professors, work experience or internships?

Is the general consensus on this board that letters and essays are there for a formalized process, but literally just get a high GPA and LSAT score? Like unless you are applying to Yale, Stanford, or Berkeley (the ones which I have heard actually look beyond numbers) just get as high of an LSAT and GPA possible? Nothing matters but GPA and LSAT correct?



The schools you mentioned are all really GPA focused. It's rare anyone sub-3.8 gets in.

Uhh a 3.8 is higher than the 25th percentile GPA of all of those schools. a 3.8 is higher than Berkeley law's 50th percentile GPA.


Yale's 25th is 3.86, with a median of 3.93. Stanford's is a 3.78 with a 3.89 median. So a 3.8 is barely above Stanford's 25th, and it isn't above Yale's.

I'm not quite sure what your goal is in this thread. Do you want someone to pat you on the head and tell you that your application will be extra-special? That you'll get in through sheer moxie and charm? Because that isn't happening.

philepistemer

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:43 am

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby philepistemer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Wolfie91 wrote:lmao he shouldn't be fired because of it. Come on now. He's just stupid. It's not like he's intentionally trying to hijack this guy's chances of getting into law school. He just doesn't know any better.


Complete incompetence is a very good reason to fire someone. The reason college is so expensive is because people like this guy never get fired.

If a lawyer told you that two spouses can't be convicted of the same crime, would you remain his client?

User avatar
Wolfie91

Silver
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: Is an internship/work experience at a big corporation necessary to get into Law School?

Postby Wolfie91 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:52 pm

philepistemer wrote:
Wolfie91 wrote:lmao he shouldn't be fired because of it. Come on now. He's just stupid. It's not like he's intentionally trying to hijack this guy's chances of getting into law school. He just doesn't know any better.


Complete incompetence is a very good reason to fire someone. The reason college is so expensive is because people like this guy never get fired.

If a lawyer told you that two spouses can't be convicted of the same crime, would you remain his client?

An isolated instance where his counselor was trying to give a student advice to get work experience does not warrant the counselor being fired, no. Most of us agree that work experience is credited before heading off to law school. His counselor extrapolated this notion by saying it was necessary to get into a good school, and he was wrong.

No, don't fire the guy. Let him know what we said for future reference. What the fuck.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests