what are the focuses of each of the top 14?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RamTitan

Silver

Re: what are the focuses of each of the top 14?

Postby RamTitan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:48 pm

clueless801 wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
29qwerty29 wrote:Is there a list anywhere that talks about the greatest strength of each T14 school? In terms of what type of law is their "strength"? Whether that is based on professors they have or job prospects, not sure, but wondering if there's a way to figure that out. My number will get me into T14s but I'm particularly interested in Corporate Law (M&A, Securities). Any numbers or general thoughts?

I've been particularly interested in International Arbitration so my experience thusfar has been to look at the profiles of the partners of the top firms in the category. Ex. White and Case is one of the best, if not the best, for IA and NYU and Georgetown are two schools that seems to be consistently represented. But that's also true for a lot of the T14. Above the Law lists which firms pick up grads from which schools.

Keep in mind though, this is a VERY eggs in one basket sort of approach. In any case, you'd have to have amazing grades 1L in order to even secure interviews during 2L fall with the firms that have M&A and/or Securities practices (which is most of BigLaw).

What makes you say that White and Case is the best at IA? I'd imagine IA is a field that's quite difficult to get into, given that it's kind of a "glamorous" type of law that evokes images of negotiating with dignitaries, jetting to Paris, Tokyo, etc... Do you know if it's actually possible to do IA work as an associate at a biglaw firm?

Chambers put W&C in Band 1 of their Global-Wide rankings and its been my understanding that TLS trusts Chambers rankings, no? Also, in terms of difficult to get into, that's why it's an abstract goal for me rather than the ultimate one. I'd like to do it, but I'm not counting on it. As far as I can tell between those on TLS who have shared their experiences and the people I've spoken with at networking events, you'd have to make the effort to indicate you're interested in such a field.

In regards to your question about whether associate work is possible - yes, absolutely. I've only been looking at W&C as an example but they have associates at their many offices - http://www.whitecase.com/people/all/765 ... vance/desc. From what I can tell, having an interest in international work and knowing an additional language is a must.

I feel like I have to mention that I haven't even taken the LSAT so me looking all this is up is being super cautious about a BigLaw career. One of the most common pieces of advice I get is to figure out how the people doing the job you want got there, so you can put yourself in that position also... hence, me looking all this stuff up about international arbitration practices.

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the post. I'm a OL trying to pick up the lingo, so every little bit helps

Silver

Re: what are the focuses of each of the top 14?

Postby AvatarMeelo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 am

RamTitan wrote:
I feel like I have to mention that I haven't even taken the LSAT so me looking all this is up is being super cautious about a BigLaw career. One of the most common pieces of advice I get is to figure out how the people doing the job you want got there, so you can put yourself in that position also... hence, me looking all this stuff up about international arbitration practices.

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the post. I'm a OL trying to pick up the lingo, so every little bit helps[/quote]

I'm a 0L too! I'd also reach out to your school's alumni association and ask them whether they'd be able to put you into contact with some alumni who can answer more questions for you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�