Why X Essays

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
irving80

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Why X Essays

Postby irving80 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Hey all,

I had some questions about the Why X Essays. How long should your Why X essay be? Also which schools (in the top 20) are worth writing a Why X for?

User avatar
studyingeveryday

Silver
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby studyingeveryday » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:05 pm

Schools typically indicate they want it to be a page, but for those that don't specify, 1-2 pages is probably best.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby Rigo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:38 pm

UVA, Penn, Mich, Duke are the yield protect schools so they appreciate them.

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:43 am

If a school is your #1 choice would that be worth mentioning in a Why X essay?

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby Christinabruin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 am

blackmamba8 wrote:If a school is your #1 choice would that be worth mentioning in a Why X essay?


I'm sure it's definitely worth mentioning in a Why X essay, and since it's your first choice, you'll probably have a lot of things to say about the school too!

irving80

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby irving80 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:36 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:Schools typically indicate they want it to be a page, but for those that don't specify, 1-2 pages is probably best.


Rigo wrote:UVA, Penn, Mich, Duke are the yield protect schools so they appreciate them.


Thanks for your help, guys! This is very helpful. So besides their curriculum, clinics, journals, what else is necessary/ideal to mention in the Why X Essay?

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby Rigo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:17 pm

irving80 wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:Schools typically indicate they want it to be a page, but for those that don't specify, 1-2 pages is probably best.


Rigo wrote:UVA, Penn, Mich, Duke are the yield protect schools so they appreciate them.


Thanks for your help, guys! This is very helpful. So besides their curriculum, clinics, journals, what else is necessary/ideal to mention in the Why X Essay?

More personal reasons would lead the day, but if you don't have those, then the standard stuff is better than nothing.

irving80

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby irving80 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Rigo wrote: More personal reasons would lead the day, but if you don't have those, then the standard stuff is better than nothing.


Thanks, Rigo! I appreciate your advice :)

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:49 pm

Christinabruin wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:If a school is your #1 choice would that be worth mentioning in a Why X essay?


I'm sure it's definitely worth mentioning in a Why X essay, and since it's your first choice, you'll probably have a lot of things to say about the school too!

Thanks! I was worried about it looking corny/desperate, but I think I can work it into my essay without being like "You're my #1 school plz pick me" lol.

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby Christinabruin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:41 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:If a school is your #1 choice would that be worth mentioning in a Why X essay?


I'm sure it's definitely worth mentioning in a Why X essay, and since it's your first choice, you'll probably have a lot of things to say about the school too!

Thanks! I was worried about it looking corny/desperate, but I think I can work it into my essay without being like "You're my #1 school plz pick me" lol.


No worries! I also read somewhere (I think it was on TLS) but if you're already doing Early Decision at the law school, mentioning that the school is your top choice could sound redundant since ED already implies that it's your first choice. That being said though, I still think it would be helpful to write a Why X essay in favor of why that school appeals to you since it could tip the scales in your favor if your numbers are on the margin.

irving80

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby irving80 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:02 pm

Hey guys,

I have another question regarding Why X Essays. I'm already planning on sending one for the ones that ask for it and for those that Rigo above mentioned are YP schools and appreciate them. But I'm wondering how wise it is to write one in an addendum for those T14 schools that don't? Such as Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown? Also, is it generally not worth writing one for T6 schools? Thanks for all your help, guys! :)

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby guynourmin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:24 pm

irving80 wrote:Such as Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown? Also, is it generally not worth writing one for T6 schools? Thanks for all your help, guys! :)


I don't think you need to write one for NU because everyone has the option to interview, and you will talk about Why then. Just seems repetitive.

Conventional wisdom says you don't have to write one for the t6. At least, you definitely don't have to for HYS. If you're a reach for CCN, then know why you want to go, so I don't see a Why being helpful. If you're probably going to HYS, CCN still knows they can be competitive with money probably (I don't think any YP). Others may have more complete thoughts on the matter, but I'd guess they'll all say they are unnecessary.

irving80

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby irving80 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:50 pm

guybourdin wrote:
irving80 wrote:Such as Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown? Also, is it generally not worth writing one for T6 schools? Thanks for all your help, guys! :)


I don't think you need to write one for NU because everyone has the option to interview, and you will talk about Why then. Just seems repetitive.

Conventional wisdom says you don't have to write one for the t6. At least, you definitely don't have to for HYS. If you're a reach for CCN, then know why you want to go, so I don't see a Why being helpful. If you're probably going to HYS, CCN still knows they can be competitive with money probably (I don't think any YP). Others may have more complete thoughts on the matter, but I'd guess they'll all say they are unnecessary.


Hey Guybourdin, thanks for your advice! I totally forgot about NU's interview option so that's a good thing you brought that up! What if CCN is slightly a reach for me (sad splitter life), would it still not be helpful?

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby guynourmin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:35 pm

irving80 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
irving80 wrote:Such as Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown? Also, is it generally not worth writing one for T6 schools? Thanks for all your help, guys! :)


I don't think you need to write one for NU because everyone has the option to interview, and you will talk about Why then. Just seems repetitive.

Conventional wisdom says you don't have to write one for the t6. At least, you definitely don't have to for HYS. If you're a reach for CCN, then know why you want to go, so I don't see a Why being helpful. If you're probably going to HYS, CCN still knows they can be competitive with money probably (I don't think any YP). Others may have more complete thoughts on the matter, but I'd guess they'll all say they are unnecessary.


Hey Guybourdin, thanks for your advice! I totally forgot about NU's interview option so that's a good thing you brought that up! What if CCN is slightly a reach for me (sad splitter life), would it still not be helpful?


I'm not sure how it would unless you have something significant to say. I am a pretty extreme splitter (mylsn puts me at a 60-70% chance at Columbia/NYU). I want to go into public service. NYU and Columbia are very obviously the best possible schools I could go to. What is a Why NYU essay going to tell them? they know I want to go there. I can't imagine you saying anything that would be helpful. It's possible, but I'm hesitant. (0L advise, take it with a grain of salt!)

irving80

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby irving80 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:54 pm

guybourdin wrote:
irving80 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
irving80 wrote:Such as Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown? Also, is it generally not worth writing one for T6 schools? Thanks for all your help, guys! :)


I don't think you need to write one for NU because everyone has the option to interview, and you will talk about Why then. Just seems repetitive.

Conventional wisdom says you don't have to write one for the t6. At least, you definitely don't have to for HYS. If you're a reach for CCN, then know why you want to go, so I don't see a Why being helpful. If you're probably going to HYS, CCN still knows they can be competitive with money probably (I don't think any YP). Others may have more complete thoughts on the matter, but I'd guess they'll all say they are unnecessary.


Hey Guybourdin, thanks for your advice! I totally forgot about NU's interview option so that's a good thing you brought that up! What if CCN is slightly a reach for me (sad splitter life), would it still not be helpful?


I'm not sure how it would unless you have something significant to say. I am a pretty extreme splitter (mylsn puts me at a 60-70% chance at Columbia/NYU). I want to go into public service. NYU and Columbia are very obviously the best possible schools I could go to. What is a Why NYU essay going to tell them? they know I want to go there. I can't imagine you saying anything that would be helpful. It's possible, but I'm hesitant. (0L advise, take it with a grain of salt!)


That's true and something I hadn't considered! I guess Why X has more value for when you don't wanna get YP'd and I certainly don't have a chance of getting YP'd at CCN lol! Thank you so much for your advice :D

irving80

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby irving80 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:20 am

Hey guys,

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I seem to be struggling a lot with the Why X essays lol :oops:

I just realized Cornell does ask in Section 10 of their app why you're interested in it. It only gives me 1000 characters though, so is it better to cram everything in that box or should I write a longer Why X in the addendum and just write "see addendum" in the box? I know law schools don't like it when you say "see resume" but I'm wondering what to do if they give you so little space..

Also, Section 11 asks who, if anyone, influenced my decision to apply to Cornell. What if no one influenced me lol :roll: Can someone help explain to me what exactly the purpose of this question is?

finaciardi

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby finaciardi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:38 am

irving80 wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I seem to be struggling a lot with the Why X essays lol :oops:

I just realized Cornell does ask in Section 10 of their app why you're interested in it. It only gives me 1000 characters though, so is it better to cram everything in that box or should I write a longer Why X in the addendum and just write "see addendum" in the box? I know law schools don't like it when you say "see resume" but I'm wondering what to do if they give you so little space..

Also, Section 11 asks who, if anyone, influenced my decision to apply to Cornell. What if no one influenced me lol :roll: Can someone help explain to me what exactly the purpose of this question is?


Someone in the Cornell class of 2020 thread called the admission office to ask and was apparently told to use the field for Why Cornell instead of adding an addendum. I've also read that it's fine to leave the influence question N/A.

irving80

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby irving80 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:43 am

finaciardi wrote:
irving80 wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I seem to be struggling a lot with the Why X essays lol :oops:

I just realized Cornell does ask in Section 10 of their app why you're interested in it. It only gives me 1000 characters though, so is it better to cram everything in that box or should I write a longer Why X in the addendum and just write "see addendum" in the box? I know law schools don't like it when you say "see resume" but I'm wondering what to do if they give you so little space..

Also, Section 11 asks who, if anyone, influenced my decision to apply to Cornell. What if no one influenced me lol :roll: Can someone help explain to me what exactly the purpose of this question is?


Someone in the Cornell class of 2020 thread called the admission office to ask and was apparently told to use the field for Why Cornell instead of adding an addendum. I've also read that it's fine to leave the influence question N/A.


Hey Finaciardi, thank you for your helpful info on both questions!! I guess I'm gonna have to write a super short Why X for Cornell then. Also, that's great to hear we can leave it blank since I didn't want to make something up or idiotically put myself down lol

User avatar
studyingeveryday

Silver
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:54 pm

finaciardi wrote:
irving80 wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I seem to be struggling a lot with the Why X essays lol :oops:

I just realized Cornell does ask in Section 10 of their app why you're interested in it. It only gives me 1000 characters though, so is it better to cram everything in that box or should I write a longer Why X in the addendum and just write "see addendum" in the box? I know law schools don't like it when you say "see resume" but I'm wondering what to do if they give you so little space..

Also, Section 11 asks who, if anyone, influenced my decision to apply to Cornell. What if no one influenced me lol :roll: Can someone help explain to me what exactly the purpose of this question is?


Someone in the Cornell class of 2020 thread called the admission office to ask and was apparently told to use the field for Why Cornell instead of adding an addendum. I've also read that it's fine to leave the influence question N/A.


Wait..but I remember reading in the thread that it's also okay to add an addendum. I already wrote one :shock:

irving80

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby irving80 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:42 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
finaciardi wrote:
irving80 wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I seem to be struggling a lot with the Why X essays lol :oops:

I just realized Cornell does ask in Section 10 of their app why you're interested in it. It only gives me 1000 characters though, so is it better to cram everything in that box or should I write a longer Why X in the addendum and just write "see addendum" in the box? I know law schools don't like it when you say "see resume" but I'm wondering what to do if they give you so little space..

Also, Section 11 asks who, if anyone, influenced my decision to apply to Cornell. What if no one influenced me lol :roll: Can someone help explain to me what exactly the purpose of this question is?


Someone in the Cornell class of 2020 thread called the admission office to ask and was apparently told to use the field for Why Cornell instead of adding an addendum. I've also read that it's fine to leave the influence question N/A.


Wait..but I remember reading in the thread that it's also okay to add an addendum. I already wrote one :shock:


What did you put on Section 10 where they asked for Why X? Idk what to do with this conflicting info lol :cry:

User avatar
studyingeveryday

Silver
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:44 pm

irving80 wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
finaciardi wrote:
irving80 wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I seem to be struggling a lot with the Why X essays lol :oops:

I just realized Cornell does ask in Section 10 of their app why you're interested in it. It only gives me 1000 characters though, so is it better to cram everything in that box or should I write a longer Why X in the addendum and just write "see addendum" in the box? I know law schools don't like it when you say "see resume" but I'm wondering what to do if they give you so little space..

Also, Section 11 asks who, if anyone, influenced my decision to apply to Cornell. What if no one influenced me lol :roll: Can someone help explain to me what exactly the purpose of this question is?


Someone in the Cornell class of 2020 thread called the admission office to ask and was apparently told to use the field for Why Cornell instead of adding an addendum. I've also read that it's fine to leave the influence question N/A.


Wait..but I remember reading in the thread that it's also okay to add an addendum. I already wrote one :shock:


What did you put on Section 10 where they asked for Why X? Idk what to do with this conflicting info lol :cry:


I was just going to write a few sentences summing up my reasons...I think I'll go ask again in the Cornell thread to make sure then. I don't want to annoy admissions, even if I did already spend time writing one.

finaciardi

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby finaciardi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:17 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
irving80 wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
finaciardi wrote:
irving80 wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I seem to be struggling a lot with the Why X essays lol :oops:

I just realized Cornell does ask in Section 10 of their app why you're interested in it. It only gives me 1000 characters though, so is it better to cram everything in that box or should I write a longer Why X in the addendum and just write "see addendum" in the box? I know law schools don't like it when you say "see resume" but I'm wondering what to do if they give you so little space..

Also, Section 11 asks who, if anyone, influenced my decision to apply to Cornell. What if no one influenced me lol :roll: Can someone help explain to me what exactly the purpose of this question is?


Someone in the Cornell class of 2020 thread called the admission office to ask and was apparently told to use the field for Why Cornell instead of adding an addendum. I've also read that it's fine to leave the influence question N/A.


Wait..but I remember reading in the thread that it's also okay to add an addendum. I already wrote one :shock:


What did you put on Section 10 where they asked for Why X? Idk what to do with this conflicting info lol :cry:


I was just going to write a few sentences summing up my reasons...I think I'll go ask again in the Cornell thread to make sure then. I don't want to annoy admissions, even if I did already spend time writing one.


oops sorry didn't mean to confuse anyone or provide conflicting info. that's just what i saw on the thread and im sure you'll find it there! But I *have* also read about others adding an addendum and that not being a problem. i don't think this is an issue that's going to determine your admission either way. i personally just used the field but you should ask the admission office if you want to be sure!

irving80

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Why X Essays

Postby irving80 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:15 am

finaciardi wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
irving80 wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
finaciardi wrote:
irving80 wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I seem to be struggling a lot with the Why X essays lol :oops:

I just realized Cornell does ask in Section 10 of their app why you're interested in it. It only gives me 1000 characters though, so is it better to cram everything in that box or should I write a longer Why X in the addendum and just write "see addendum" in the box? I know law schools don't like it when you say "see resume" but I'm wondering what to do if they give you so little space..

Also, Section 11 asks who, if anyone, influenced my decision to apply to Cornell. What if no one influenced me lol :roll: Can someone help explain to me what exactly the purpose of this question is?


Someone in the Cornell class of 2020 thread called the admission office to ask and was apparently told to use the field for Why Cornell instead of adding an addendum. I've also read that it's fine to leave the influence question N/A.


Wait..but I remember reading in the thread that it's also okay to add an addendum. I already wrote one :shock:


What did you put on Section 10 where they asked for Why X? Idk what to do with this conflicting info lol :cry:


I was just going to write a few sentences summing up my reasons...I think I'll go ask again in the Cornell thread to make sure then. I don't want to annoy admissions, even if I did already spend time writing one.


oops sorry didn't mean to confuse anyone or provide conflicting info. that's just what i saw on the thread and im sure you'll find it there! But I *have* also read about others adding an addendum and that not being a problem. i don't think this is an issue that's going to determine your admission either way. i personally just used the field but you should ask the admission office if you want to be sure!


Thank you studyingeveryday and finaciardi! I guess I'll just contact the admissions office to be sure and I'll post an update!

Ambersmith

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Why X Essays

Postby Ambersmith » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:27 am

deleted

User avatar
Lexaholik

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Why X Essays

Postby Lexaholik » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:29 am

I completely disagree with the advice above. If you're a splitter the biggest knock on you is that you're lazy. Rightly or wrongly this is the perception. Write ALL optional essays. It shouldn't be hard--if you can't come up with a good reason why you want to go to CLS or NU or whatever, you probably don't deserve to get in. It's true that the essay won't itself tell them anything they don't already know. But what's the downside here, really?



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MelvinPThorpe, nixy and 19 guests