Is there any harm in taking online community college classes/easy classes during the summer to boost GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pleaseberkeley

New

Is there any harm in taking online community college classes/easy classes during the summer to boost GPA?

Postby pleaseberkeley » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi there, long story short I am a Junior at a top 20 unndergrad. I have a 3.7 GPA, which means I am on the cusp of that T14 in terms of GPA. Will it negatively impact my admission process if I take some online courses or Physical education courses at a local community college this summer and next summer to pad my stats? I hear Law School is a very lazy process and its numbers above everything. Considering the way the LSAC calculates GPA this can only help me, right? Thanks in advance.

Itiswritten

New

Re: Is there any harm in taking online community college classes/easy classes during the summer to boost GPA?

Postby Itiswritten » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:50 pm

Nope. No harm. I did it. I got into Berkeley which seems to be your goal, so I can say it probably didn't harm me in their admissions process. Currently at UCLA.

jstanhope14

New

Re: Is there any harm in taking online community college classes/easy classes during the summer to boost GPA?

Postby jstanhope14 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:51 pm

pleaseberkeley wrote:Hi there, long story short I am a Junior at a top 20 unndergrad. I have a 3.7 GPA, which means I am on the cusp of that T14 in terms of GPA. Will it negatively impact my admission process if I take some online courses or Physical education courses at a local community college this summer and next summer to pad my stats? I hear Law School is a very lazy process and its numbers above everything. Considering the way the LSAC calculates GPA this can only help me, right? Thanks in advance.

I've been wondering this, too. From what I've read on here it seems like this is fine. I actually emailed BU and BC, and one of them emailed back (forget which) saying that it is fine to do. However, doing this does take a lot of time and will only raise your GPA a few hundredths of a point, so it seems unnecessary unless you're at like 3.70 trying to put yourself a little higher than Columbia's median. Keep in mind, too, that if you don't get an A in one of the courses then you'll have spent yourself.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:20 pm

I wouldn't spend the money on it, but that's just me.
If you are will to part with $$$, go for it.

toobig2lose

New

Postby toobig2lose » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:39 pm

No harm. Go for it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�