LSAT addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
baum

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:24 pm

LSAT addendum?

Postby baum » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:39 pm

I took the June 2016 LSAT and got a 168. I didn't prepare much for it, and had to drive 2 hours to the testing center in the middle of finals week. I felt that I could do much better, so I took it again in September.
I self-studied for it and felt ready. I was averaging a 174 on my practice test leading up to the actual test.
I got the stomach flu on test day, and ended up scoring a 164.

I know the general consensus is that schools don't care about your lower score so an addendum might be unnecessary, but would writing one be detrimental to my application?

I've generally been a good standardized test taker (2380 SAT) and also feel that I could score in the 170s should I take it again, but should I mention that in my addendum?

I have a 3.92 UGPA at UCLA. I want to apply with my 168 instead of taking it again in December, as I don't have time to prepare for it, and that would be my third test and therefore the last one I could take until 2018. If I don't get into the law schools of my choice, I'm planning to study and retake it in June or September and apply next cycle.

Thoughts?

judill

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Re: LSAT addendum?

Postby judill » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:14 pm

baum wrote:I took the June 2016 LSAT and got a 168. I didn't prepare much for it, and had to drive 2 hours to the testing center in the middle of finals week. I felt that I could do much better, so I took it again in September.
I self-studied for it and felt ready. I was averaging a 174 on my practice test leading up to the actual test.
I got the stomach flu on test day, and ended up scoring a 164.

I know the general consensus is that schools don't care about your lower score so an addendum might be unnecessary, but would writing one be detrimental to my application?

I've generally been a good standardized test taker (2380 SAT) and also feel that I could score in the 170s should I take it again, but should I mention that in my addendum?

I have a 3.92 UGPA at UCLA. I want to apply with my 168 instead of taking it again in December, as I don't have time to prepare for it, and that would be my third test and therefore the last one I could take until 2018. If I don't get into the law schools of my choice, I'm planning to study and retake it in June or September and apply next cycle.

Thoughts?


I'd say write the addendum, but keep it brief. You have a clear reason why you didn't do as well the second time, so you should mention it.

Your plan sounds good to me. Also, I think it's too late for you to register for Dec, and most schools don't accept Feb, so that kind of makes the decision for you.

Best of luck!

baum

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: LSAT addendum?

Postby baum » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:27 pm

judill wrote:
baum wrote:I took the June 2016 LSAT and got a 168. I didn't prepare much for it, and had to drive 2 hours to the testing center in the middle of finals week. I felt that I could do much better, so I took it again in September.
I self-studied for it and felt ready. I was averaging a 174 on my practice test leading up to the actual test.
I got the stomach flu on test day, and ended up scoring a 164.

I know the general consensus is that schools don't care about your lower score so an addendum might be unnecessary, but would writing one be detrimental to my application?

I've generally been a good standardized test taker (2380 SAT) and also feel that I could score in the 170s should I take it again, but should I mention that in my addendum?

I have a 3.92 UGPA at UCLA. I want to apply with my 168 instead of taking it again in December, as I don't have time to prepare for it, and that would be my third test and therefore the last one I could take until 2018. If I don't get into the law schools of my choice, I'm planning to study and retake it in June or September and apply next cycle.

Thoughts?


I'd say write the addendum, but keep it brief. You have a clear reason why you didn't do as well the second time, so you should mention it.

Your plan sounds good to me. Also, I think it's too late for you to register for Dec, and most schools don't accept Feb, so that kind of makes the decision for you.

Best of luck!


Thanks for the response! I actually am registered for the December test, but I was thinking of withdrawing from it as that wouldn't count towards my limit.

Do you think mentioning something like "I have a history of performing well on standardized tests. I received a 2380 on the SAT.
I am confident that should I gain admission, I could take the February or June test and report a much higher score than the ones I have now." would actually turn them off and not really help?

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5093
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: LSAT addendum?

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:30 pm

No, there is no reason for an addendum. There's really no need for an LSAT addendum under any circumstances, but this certainly doesn't qualify.

judill

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Re: LSAT addendum?

Postby judill » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:37 pm

baum wrote:
judill wrote:
baum wrote:I took the June 2016 LSAT and got a 168. I didn't prepare much for it, and had to drive 2 hours to the testing center in the middle of finals week. I felt that I could do much better, so I took it again in September.
I self-studied for it and felt ready. I was averaging a 174 on my practice test leading up to the actual test.
I got the stomach flu on test day, and ended up scoring a 164.

I know the general consensus is that schools don't care about your lower score so an addendum might be unnecessary, but would writing one be detrimental to my application?

I've generally been a good standardized test taker (2380 SAT) and also feel that I could score in the 170s should I take it again, but should I mention that in my addendum?

I have a 3.92 UGPA at UCLA. I want to apply with my 168 instead of taking it again in December, as I don't have time to prepare for it, and that would be my third test and therefore the last one I could take until 2018. If I don't get into the law schools of my choice, I'm planning to study and retake it in June or September and apply next cycle.

Thoughts?


I'd say write the addendum, but keep it brief. You have a clear reason why you didn't do as well the second time, so you should mention it.

Your plan sounds good to me. Also, I think it's too late for you to register for Dec, and most schools don't accept Feb, so that kind of makes the decision for you.

Best of luck!


Thanks for the response! I actually am registered for the December test, but I was thinking of withdrawing from it as that wouldn't count towards my limit.

Do you think mentioning something like "I have a history of performing well on standardized tests. I received a 2380 on the SAT.
I am confident that should I gain admission, I could take the February or June test and report a much higher score than the ones I have now." would actually turn them off and not really help?

Thanks!


Whether or not you include an addendum is up to you, but I don't think the standardized test details or the promise to retake after admitted is necessary or wise. If I personally were in this situation, I'd say something to the effect of "I retook because I felt I could do better and encountered some unfortunate health-related circumstances the day of the test. This score was an outlier for this reason."

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: LSAT addendum?

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:25 am

baum wrote:Do you think mentioning something like "I have a history of performing well on standardized tests. I received a 2380 on the SAT.
I am confident that should I gain admission, I could take the February or June test and report a much higher score than the ones I have now." would actually turn them off and not really help?

I wouldn't write an addendum (you'll be judged as a 168/3.92), but if I did, I definitely wouldn't say any of this.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Law&Order123 and 6 guests