Employment section

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GriefBacon

New

Employment section

Postby GriefBacon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm a non-traditional applicant in my early 30's, nearly 10 years out of undergrad.

Simply put, I've had a LOT of jobs in the past decade. I've been working full-time for all but a year of that time (and the majority of that year was spent working 40+ hrs between multiple jobs and applying for a leadership program). But a lot of that time was spent working in retail, and even as a store manager, I had to have a second job to get by. Thanks, recession.

Applications ask you to list all employment. I honestly would have a difficult time listing every single employer I've ever had (some of which would have only been a couple weeks in length), and I feel pretty certain that there's some from the recession years that I've completely blocked out. How in depth am I expected to go? Obviously, all the full-time jobs, and internships, and major/long-term part-time jobs...but beyond that? Do all the 2-3 week retail gigs I picked up (as 2nd or 3rd jobs) at holidays need to be included? Random babysitting/short-term nannying jobs? Do college jobs need to be included? High school jobs?

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Employment section

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:32 pm

Anything that was reported on your taxes needs to go in, so yes, those crappy seasonal ones, too.

This isn't so much for the school. The bar will be following up on your employment (I think it's only for a 10-year period, but don't quote me on that), so it's better for you to get it done now and have as complete a list as possible for when they ask you to verify all those jobs.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Employment section

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:06 am

cavalier1138 wrote:The bar will be following up on your employment (I think it's only for a 10-year period, but don't quote me on that), so it's better for you to get it done now and have as complete a list as possible for when they ask you to verify all those jobs.

New York is ten years. I'd think most other states are as well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�