LL.M. / LL.D. in US after European Bachelor

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EfiS

New

LL.M. / LL.D. in US after European Bachelor

Postby EfiS » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:57 pm

Greetings everyone,

I'm new to the forum, pretty much trying to figure out some basic stuff regarding international studies and admissions in a US law school. At the moment, I'm a senior student at the Athens Law School, Greece. This is a 4-year course plan, resulting in a Bachelor degree (the course plan is a lot similar to the one applied in Italian and German Law Schools). From there, you should do a legal trainee ship (internship) before allowed to work as a full-time lawyer. My question is fairly simple: what are my options in pursuing an LL. M./ LL.D. in the United States? How viable is that as a plan, what are the requirements, what is the financial aid status for international students and, most importantly,is it worth the time and money? I would be interested in staying and working in the US, not just obtain a degree and move back.

I know that my post has a lot of general and vague questions, but I'm just looking for a place to start. Any kind of response and info would be valuable and greatly appreciated!

Best,

ES

klaudiaxo

New

Re: LL.M. / LL.D. in US after European Bachelor

Postby klaudiaxo » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:11 am

EfiS wrote:Greetings everyone,

I'm new to the forum, pretty much trying to figure out some basic stuff regarding international studies and admissions in a US law school. At the moment, I'm a senior student at the Athens Law School, Greece. This is a 4-year course plan, resulting in a Bachelor degree (the course plan is a lot similar to the one applied in Italian and German Law Schools). From there, you should do a legal trainee ship (internship) before allowed to work as a full-time lawyer. My question is fairly simple: what are my options in pursuing an LL. M./ LL.D. in the United States? How viable is that as a plan, what are the requirements, what is the financial aid status for international students and, most importantly,is it worth the time and money? I would be interested in staying and working in the US, not just obtain a degree and move back.

I know that my post has a lot of general and vague questions, but I'm just looking for a place to start. Any kind of response and info would be valuable and greatly appreciated!

Best,

ES

I looked into this pretty extensively. It depends on if you want to stay and work in Greece or not..

If you want to live in the US (not really sure why you would want to it's going to cost you a TON of money to get your LLM or JD here and health care etc. it just sucks) then I would get a JD. I have heard the prospects for a job of an LLM without experience are slim.

Strangeland

New

Postby Strangeland » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:33 am

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=258595&p=9074004&hilit=visa#p9074004
You might want to check it out if you haven't seen it. Sorry, it's not exactly what you asked for but it's important for making decisions

EfiS

New

Postby EfiS » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:49 am

klaudiaxo wrote:
EfiS wrote:
I looked into this pretty extensively. It depends on if you want to stay and work in Greece or not..

If you want to live in the US (not really sure why you would want to it's going to cost you a TON of money to get your LLM or JD here and health care etc. it just sucks) then I would get a JD. I have heard the prospects for a job of an LLM without experience are slim.

Thanks Klaudiaxo,

well, there are many reasons for which I would decide living in the US. I've already spend some years pursuing the corresponding JD in Greece, but I would definitely consider a JD in the US if my chances of getting a job are increased. You wrote about high costs. Is there an average estimate of the cost for a JD and an LLM (which, of course is going to depend on the school)? What options do you have in terms of financial aid? Are there different options for financial aid depending on if you are a citizen or an international student? I appreciate your time.

Best,

ES

EfiS

New

Postby EfiS » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:52 am

Strangeland wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=258595&p=9074004&hilit=visa#p9074004
You might want to check it out if you haven't seen it. Sorry, it's not exactly what you asked for but it's important for making decisions

Thanks Strangeland,

there is some really useful info in that post. Appreciate it!

Best,

ES

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�