GPA Addendum??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
irving80

New

GPA Addendum??

Postby irving80 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:54 pm

New to TLS here, so forgive me if this topic has already been addressed!

I'm wondering if I need an addendum for my low cumulative GPA (~3.4). I got a 2.0 my freshman year but my second, third, and fourth year GPA have all been 3.80+. I changed majors before my second year and getting adjusted to the college life is mostly the reason for the trend. Will this upward trend and major switch be apparent on my transcript to the adcomms or is it worth mentioning explicitly in an addendum?
Last edited by irving80 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: GPA Addendum??

Postby grades?? » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:10 pm

Had just over a 3.4. Not needed, not a problem.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:17 pm

It doesn't sound like you have anything to explain. You haven't given any indication the low grades were because of something you couldn't control, like a medical situation or crisis. If you want, on your resume' you can list a cumulative GPA and a major GPA, since that will be higher.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:20 pm

Having a poor freshman year is common.
I wouldn't write one.

irving80

New

Postby irving80 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:04 am

grades?? wrote:Had just over a 3.4. Not needed, not a problem.

Mr. Archer wrote:It doesn't sound like you have anything to explain. You haven't given any indication the low grades were because of something you couldn't control, like a medical situation or crisis. If you want, on your resume' you can list a cumulative GPA and a major GPA, since that will be higher.

Rigo wrote:Having a poor freshman year is common.
I wouldn't write one.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I had a couple more questions, hopefully someone can answer??

How much weight do law schools put toward your upward trend in GPA? Will they weigh my 3.8s more heavily than the cumulative ~3.4?

Also, anyone know how to find out which schools are splitter friendly? I have a 170 LSAT and I'm having a hard time figuring out my chances... Thanks in advance!

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:14 am

Almost everyone has an upward trend in GPA. So no, they won't care.

You'll have a solid shot at the mid-to-lower T-14 with that score, but you'll want to apply broadly. There's also a good chance that WashU would throw you a full ride. But splitter cycles are inherently unpredictable.

irving80

New

Postby irving80 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Almost everyone has an upward trend in GPA. So no, they won't care.

You'll have a solid shot at the mid-to-lower T-14 with that score, but you'll want to apply broadly. There's also a good chance that WashU would throw you a full ride. But splitter cycles are inherently unpredictable.

Hey Cavalier,

Thank you for your help! I'll take your advice and apply broadly. I agree splitter cycles are very unpredictable and it's even harder since there's not too many data points for splitters. :|

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�