How long are you spending on application written pieces?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

(Q1) I write a few essays per day
6%
(Q1) One essay per day
6%
(Q1) A few days per essay
13%
(Q1) A week or more per essay
38%
(Q2) Once I write an essay, I check it over that same day and then never look back
6%
(Q2) I definitely go back and check it over the next few days to a week
31%
(Q2) I spend at least a few weeks checking it over again and again
No votes

Total votes: 16

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:34 pm

Excluding the personal statement and diversity statement, how long is everyone working on Why X school essays and optional essays? I've been working and re-editing them for a few weeks now, and started wondering how long people usually spend on them.

So, two questions:
Q1. How long does one essay (ex. one Why X school essay) take you to write?
Q2. Do you look at an essay again at least a few days after you already wrote it?

I'd love to hear specific processes but if not go for the poll.

zeglo

Silver

Re: How long are you spending on application written pieces?

Postby zeglo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:43 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Re: How long are you spending on application written pieces?

Postby pleasesendhelp » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:42 pm

1. I wrote my PS in a day, 4 hours total to finish first draft. Had a friend read and edited for an additional 2 hours or so. I like to bang things out at once because it feels more natural that way. The end result comes off as less calculated and manipulative in my opinion.

started off thinking about an impactful experience (thankfully I have lots of inflicted+self-inflicted trauma) then went off from there.

2. Yeah I always look at it, but I'm so confident in my writing every time I look at it I think it's perfect. I need someone else to read it to get a real sense of the writing level. A key point to this is to ask someone who knows about LAW SCHOOL essays specifically. I asked a lot of professionals in other fields and they all said the same thing, "it's good, but I think you need to write more about 'why law school'". That didn't sit well with me. Finally managed to get a friend in law to go over it with me and the "why law school" comment didn't come out. In the end, I may have been fishing for a peer review that I sat well with, but I personally think "why law" essays are often boring, insincere, or shallow.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�