Berkeley Scholarship Info?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Veil of Ignorance

Bronze
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:50 pm

.
Last edited by Veil of Ignorance on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:57 pm

Berkeley is widely known to be a black box when it comes to scholarships. They're already pretty inscrutable with their admissions decisions, but there is no hint of a method to their madness in scholarship assignments. Good luck!

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby goldenbear2020 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:18 pm

From the 509 disclosure, 40% get nothing, 40% get some money less than half tuition, and 20% get at least half tuition.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Does anyone know why Berkeley gives out so little money, and also how they get away with having such low medians, compared to their peers?

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3438
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby guynourmin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:21 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:Does anyone know why Berkeley gives out so little money...compared to their peers?


They don't give out a ton of money, but is "so little" an exaggeration? They have more students on fulls than Duke and more students on at least half than Duke. They have the same (or, $30 higher) 75th grant amount. And while Duke does have more students on scholarships, Duke's tuition is 9k more (for instate) so the people getting 10k/yr to Duke (25% get less than 15k) are paying a similar amount as B kids from Cali paying sticker.

Over half of Penn and UVA students pay sticker. Less than 9% of Michigan students get at least half tuition.

Actually seems like B isn't that bad with scholarships, right?

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:57 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:Does anyone know why Berkeley gives out so little money...compared to their peers?


They don't give out a ton of money, but is "so little" an exaggeration? They have more students on fulls than Duke and more students on at least half than Duke. They have the same (or, $30 higher) 75th grant amount. And while Duke does have more students on scholarships, Duke's tuition is 9k more (for instate) so the people getting 10k/yr to Duke (25% get less than 15k) are paying a similar amount as B kids from Cali paying sticker.

Over half of Penn and UVA students pay sticker. Less than 9% of Michigan students get at least half tuition.

Actually seems like B isn't that bad with scholarships, right?


That's very informative, thanks! I suppose I was wrong, I just got this impression for some reason. Perhaps because they don't have any named scholarships like a lot of other schools, I figured that the admission council isn't willing to pay as much for the super high numbers.

User avatar
hellohalo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby hellohalo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:Does anyone know why Berkeley gives out so little money...compared to their peers?


They don't give out a ton of money, but is "so little" an exaggeration? They have more students on fulls than Duke and more students on at least half than Duke. They have the same (or, $30 higher) 75th grant amount. And while Duke does have more students on scholarships, Duke's tuition is 9k more (for instate) so the people getting 10k/yr to Duke (25% get less than 15k) are paying a similar amount as B kids from Cali paying sticker.

Over half of Penn and UVA students pay sticker. Less than 9% of Michigan students get at least half tuition.

Actually seems like B isn't that bad with scholarships, right?


That's very informative, thanks! I suppose I was wrong, I just got this impression for some reason. Perhaps because they don't have any named scholarships like a lot of other schools, I figured that the admission council isn't willing to pay as much for the super high numbers.


B doesn't have any named scholly?! I'm afraid you are wrong again.

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:38 pm

hellohalo wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:Does anyone know why Berkeley gives out so little money...compared to their peers?


They don't give out a ton of money, but is "so little" an exaggeration? They have more students on fulls than Duke and more students on at least half than Duke. They have the same (or, $30 higher) 75th grant amount. And while Duke does have more students on scholarships, Duke's tuition is 9k more (for instate) so the people getting 10k/yr to Duke (25% get less than 15k) are paying a similar amount as B kids from Cali paying sticker.

Over half of Penn and UVA students pay sticker. Less than 9% of Michigan students get at least half tuition.

Actually seems like B isn't that bad with scholarships, right?


That's very informative, thanks! I suppose I was wrong, I just got this impression for some reason. Perhaps because they don't have any named scholarships like a lot of other schools, I figured that the admission council isn't willing to pay as much for the super high numbers.


B doesn't have any named scholly?! I'm afraid you are wrong again.

Living up to his username all over the place

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:37 pm

hellohalo wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:Does anyone know why Berkeley gives out so little money...compared to their peers?


They don't give out a ton of money, but is "so little" an exaggeration? They have more students on fulls than Duke and more students on at least half than Duke. They have the same (or, $30 higher) 75th grant amount. And while Duke does have more students on scholarships, Duke's tuition is 9k more (for instate) so the people getting 10k/yr to Duke (25% get less than 15k) are paying a similar amount as B kids from Cali paying sticker.

Over half of Penn and UVA students pay sticker. Less than 9% of Michigan students get at least half tuition.

Actually seems like B isn't that bad with scholarships, right?


That's very informative, thanks! I suppose I was wrong, I just got this impression for some reason. Perhaps because they don't have any named scholarships like a lot of other schools, I figured that the admission council isn't willing to pay as much for the super high numbers.


B doesn't have any named scholly?! I'm afraid you are wrong again.


I mean named full- or half-tuition scholarship, like the Levy, Darrow, Dillard, Hamilton, Vanderbilt, Rubenstein, Butler... They have a Dean's scholarship that covers up to 25k a year, then several minor need-based scholarships. I should have been clearer about what I mean, I suppose!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:39 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:Does anyone know why Berkeley gives out so little money...compared to their peers?


They don't give out a ton of money, but is "so little" an exaggeration? They have more students on fulls than Duke and more students on at least half than Duke. They have the same (or, $30 higher) 75th grant amount. And while Duke does have more students on scholarships, Duke's tuition is 9k more (for instate) so the people getting 10k/yr to Duke (25% get less than 15k) are paying a similar amount as B kids from Cali paying sticker.

Over half of Penn and UVA students pay sticker. Less than 9% of Michigan students get at least half tuition.

Actually seems like B isn't that bad with scholarships, right?


That's very informative, thanks! I suppose I was wrong, I just got this impression for some reason. Perhaps because they don't have any named scholarships like a lot of other schools, I figured that the admission council isn't willing to pay as much for the super high numbers.


B doesn't have any named scholly?! I'm afraid you are wrong again.

Living up to his username all over the place


Don't be mean! We're all humans.

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3438
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby guynourmin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:I just got this impression for some reason.


Cmon. I don't mean to be rude here, but you know the reason is because you make a lot of unfounded assumptions then post them, right? 509's are very public - I pulled all the info in my last comment in all of 90 seconds.

Everything is right here for you: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:I just got this impression for some reason.


Cmon. I don't mean to be rude here, but you know the reason is because you make a lot of unfounded assumptions then post them, right? 509's are very public - I pulled all the info in my last comment in all of 90 seconds.

Everything is right here for you: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/


You know, I'd never heard of a 509, so this is certainly a helpful link. Aside from a bit of unpleasantness, I've learned quite a bit from you TLS regulars. Thanks!

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3438
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby guynourmin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:37 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:You know, I'd never heard of a 509, so this is certainly a helpful link.


shit - it should be! 509's are a really great resource. You ask a lot of questions - you'll love it! I know I do.

User avatar
Helioze

Bronze
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:10 am

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby Helioze » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:50 pm

They gon fuck us with the schollys this year i can feel it

bleakchimera2

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby bleakchimera2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:25 am

Helioze wrote:They gon fuck us with the schollys this year i can feel it


Don't wish that evil on me.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Archer1901 and 18 guests