Berkeley Scholarship Info?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Last edited by Veil of Ignorance on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Berkeley Scholarship Info?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:57 pm

Berkeley is widely known to be a black box when it comes to scholarships. They're already pretty inscrutable with their admissions decisions, but there is no hint of a method to their madness in scholarship assignments. Good luck!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:18 pm

From the 509 disclosure, 40% get nothing, 40% get some money less than half tuition, and 20% get at least half tuition.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Does anyone know why Berkeley gives out so little money, and also how they get away with having such low medians, compared to their peers?

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:21 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:Does anyone know why Berkeley gives out so little money...compared to their peers?

They don't give out a ton of money, but is "so little" an exaggeration? They have more students on fulls than Duke and more students on at least half than Duke. They have the same (or, $30 higher) 75th grant amount. And while Duke does have more students on scholarships, Duke's tuition is 9k more (for instate) so the people getting 10k/yr to Duke (25% get less than 15k) are paying a similar amount as B kids from Cali paying sticker.

Over half of Penn and UVA students pay sticker. Less than 9% of Michigan students get at least half tuition.

Actually seems like B isn't that bad with scholarships, right?

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:57 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:Does anyone know why Berkeley gives out so little money...compared to their peers?

They don't give out a ton of money, but is "so little" an exaggeration? They have more students on fulls than Duke and more students on at least half than Duke. They have the same (or, $30 higher) 75th grant amount. And while Duke does have more students on scholarships, Duke's tuition is 9k more (for instate) so the people getting 10k/yr to Duke (25% get less than 15k) are paying a similar amount as B kids from Cali paying sticker.

Over half of Penn and UVA students pay sticker. Less than 9% of Michigan students get at least half tuition.

That's very informative, thanks! I suppose I was wrong, I just got this impression for some reason. Perhaps because they don't have any named scholarships like a lot of other schools, I figured that the admission council isn't willing to pay as much for the super high numbers.

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

That's very informative, thanks! I suppose I was wrong, I just got this impression for some reason. Perhaps because they don't have any named scholarships like a lot of other schools, I figured that the admission council isn't willing to pay as much for the super high numbers.

B doesn't have any named scholly?! I'm afraid you are wrong again.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:38 pm

hellohalo wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Living up to his username all over the place

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:37 pm

hellohalo wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

I mean named full- or half-tuition scholarship, like the Levy, Darrow, Dillard, Hamilton, Vanderbilt, Rubenstein, Butler... They have a Dean's scholarship that covers up to 25k a year, then several minor need-based scholarships. I should have been clearer about what I mean, I suppose!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:39 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Living up to his username all over the place

Don't be mean! We're all humans.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:I just got this impression for some reason.

Cmon. I don't mean to be rude here, but you know the reason is because you make a lot of unfounded assumptions then post them, right? 509's are very public - I pulled all the info in my last comment in all of 90 seconds.

Everything is right here for you: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:I just got this impression for some reason.

Cmon. I don't mean to be rude here, but you know the reason is because you make a lot of unfounded assumptions then post them, right? 509's are very public - I pulled all the info in my last comment in all of 90 seconds.

Everything is right here for you: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

You know, I'd never heard of a 509, so this is certainly a helpful link. Aside from a bit of unpleasantness, I've learned quite a bit from you TLS regulars. Thanks!

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:37 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:You know, I'd never heard of a 509, so this is certainly a helpful link.

shit - it should be! 509's are a really great resource. You ask a lot of questions - you'll love it! I know I do.

Helioze

Bronze

Postby Helioze » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:50 pm

They gon fuck us with the schollys this year i can feel it

bleakchimera2

New

Postby bleakchimera2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:25 am

Helioze wrote:They gon fuck us with the schollys this year i can feel it

Don't wish that evil on me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�