if your professor asked you, why law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laggyking

New

if your professor asked you, why law school?

Postby laggyking » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:38 am

I requested LOR from two professors, both of them asked the same question, why law school?
I replied with a metaphor, a TV show, or opera show. My old major was like lighting and stage setting, lawyer is like a screenplay writer, with the understanding of both whats on the stage and whats behind the stage could help me make a great show.
I would like to hear advice from yall, how did you answer this question? feel like this is a very tricky question. were they just curious why I quit my old job and try to become a lawyer? or its going to be part of LOR.

blueapple

Silver

Re: if your professor asked you, why law school?

Postby blueapple » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:35 pm

It's not a tricky question. They want to be able to write the best possible LOR for you which means they need to understand your goals and your reasoning for why you want to go to law school. You should reply again and explain why you want to be a lawyer.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:16 pm

What was your old major/career? And what is the "great show" that you wish to make by being a lawyer in combination with this old career? Kind of a strange metaphor to be honest, but maybe the missing pieces will reveal the murkiness.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:02 pm

Lolwut your answer is super weird.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:31 pm

Tell them you want a life where even in a day that you rush out of a partner call to get to your daughter in the emergency room and spend time there dealing with her dislocated arm, you still manage to bill 9+ hours that day.

Don't go to law school.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:14 am

Are you seriously asking other people to tell you why you want to go to law school?

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:45 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Are you seriously asking other people to tell you why you want to go to law school?

Yeah...this is strange, and I feel like OP's professors were probably super confused and are going to incorporate some weird ass metaphor into their LOR.

Oh well, maybe someone will be impressed.

azaleafire

Bronze

Postby azaleafire » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:19 am

IDK what your professors normally do, but mine ask for everything. We are talking personal statement, diversity, statement, resume, **and** an explanation about why I want to go to law school. It is what helps people write a good letter of rec, especially if you haven't been in their classroom for a while.

laggyking

New

Postby laggyking » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:45 am

cantyoloforever wrote:What was your old major/career? And what is the "great show" that you wish to make by being a lawyer in combination with this old career? Kind of a strange metaphor to be honest, but maybe the missing pieces will reveal the murkiness.

Well, seems that my post was a little bit too ambiguous. I was a architect/urbanist, I was just trying to connect the stage thing with my readings in his class. We use theater as a metaphor to architecture. In my real email, I wrote much more than what I posted in this forum.

laggyking

New

Postby laggyking » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:46 am

blueapple wrote:It's not a tricky question. They want to be able to write the best possible LOR for you which means they need to understand your goals and your reasoning for why you want to go to law school. You should reply again and explain why you want to be a lawyer.

thanks!

laggyking

New

Postby laggyking » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:48 am

Rigo wrote:Lolwut your answer is super weird.

just want to know the taboo here, never asked a recommendation letter through email before, I usually did that in person. Since I graduated a year ago, going back to school, ask a letter in person become impossible.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:52 am

laggyking wrote:

just want to know the taboo here, never asked a recommendation letter through email before, I usually did that in person. Since I graduated a year ago, going back to school, ask a letter in person become impossible.

Just come up with a better elevator small talk answer for next time.
I'm hoping you have a real reason and not that you want to write life's screenplay or whatever.

laggyking

New

Postby laggyking » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:56 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:Tell them you want a life where even in a day that you rush out of a partner call to get to your daughter in the emergency room and spend time there dealing with her dislocated arm, you still manage to bill 9+ hours that day.

Don't go to law school.

loool, I admit that my post was ambiguous, the way I say it was not accurate. but I dont understand what are u trying to say here. I don't know if I could be a good lawyer, but I'm pretty sure, you wont be a good one, because, before you ask me why I wrote these, u already start been sarcasm, and tell me not to go to law school. where is your critical thinking? You are not prepared for Law school.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:59 am

laggyking wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Tell them you want a life where even in a day that you rush out of a partner call to get to your daughter in the emergency room and spend time there dealing with her dislocated arm, you still manage to bill 9+ hours that day.

Don't go to law school.

loool, I admit that my post was ambiguous, the way I say it was not accurate. but I dont understand what are u trying to say here. I don't know if I could be a good lawyer, but I'm pretty sure, you wont be a good one, because, before you ask me why I wrote these, u already start been sarcasm, and tell me not to go to law school. where is your critical thinking? You are not prepared for Law school.

I'm definitely not already in practice and the above definitely didn't happen to me last night, that's for sure!

laggyking

New

Postby laggyking » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:00 pm

Rigo wrote:
laggyking wrote:

Just come up with a better elevator small talk answer for next time.
I'm hoping you have a real reason and not that you want to write life's screenplay or whatever.

Thank you. I was an architect, my professor has theater background, during his class, we used theater, lighting, and etc to discuss design and the impact of design. I was trying to make some connections here. I did not include everything I wrote in email on this post, that might cause some confusion.

laggyking

New

Postby laggyking » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:05 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
laggyking wrote:

Don't go to law school.

I'm definitely not already in practice and the above definitely didn't happen to me last night, that's for sure!

KK, whatever. Have a nice day.

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:08 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
laggyking wrote:

Don't go to law school.

Hope your daughter is doing okay!
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:23 pm

Yeah, when a professor asks you why you want to go to law school they usually want a real answer, not sometime of metaphor. If you can't give a real answer to that question you should hold off applying until you can.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:56 pm

I mean, it's fine, if the answer was referencing stuff they discussed in class I would imagine the prof got it. But really it isn't a tricky question at all - no one is trying to trip you up, they really just want to know why you're changing careers so they can write a persuasive letter for you. I wouldn't overthink things so much.

vcap180

Bronze

Postby vcap180 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:56 pm

Bumping this hilarious thread; hoping for another page or two of content.

OP: has your professor responsed since you delivered your metaphor?

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:44 pm

That metaphor response reminds me of the countless responses by my classmates and I in undergrad, when our education professors had us author why we wanted to be a teacher/go into education (our philosophy of education).

We call them "Hallmark Responses" (like Hallmark cards). Very Utopian, unrealistic, obviously written before practice. Let's just say, after years in practice as a teacher, mine has changed dramatically. I imagine the same will be true for "why law?"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�