Should I write an addendum explaining my slow reading speed?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
okf731

New

Should I write an addendum explaining my slow reading speed?

Postby okf731 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:27 am

I am a reverse splitter. During the LSAT and SAT, I usually couldn't finish the reading comprehension section, but I was able to deal with the readings and law courses in my undergraduate years. I wonder if I could write that as an addendum to address the discrepancy between my GPA and LSAT score. Thanks!

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Should I write an addendum explaining my slow reading speed?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:38 am

I wouldn't.

Unless you have a diagnosed learning disability, this will read as a "Why I won't be a good law student" addendum. Pretty much your only real homework in 1L is to read large quantities of dense material. And then your exams will involve reading and applying law to complex fact patterns under time constraints. So writing an addendum about how slow a reader you are is a red flag to admissions offices that you won't be able to hack it in first year.

Incidentally, you can always fix this yourself. Reading speed can be trained, and I'd advise doing it if you plan on going to law school.

okf731

New

Postby okf731 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:40 am

cavalier1138 wrote:I wouldn't.

Unless you have a diagnosed learning disability, this will read as a "Why I won't be a good law student" addendum. Pretty much your only real homework in 1L is to read large quantities of dense material. And then your exams will involve reading and applying law to complex fact patterns under time constraints. So writing an addendum about how slow a reader you are is a red flag to admissions offices that you won't be able to hack it in first year.

Incidentally, you can always fix this yourself. Reading speed can be trained, and I'd advise doing it if you plan on going to law school.

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:44 am

cavalier1138 wrote:

clshopeful

Bronze

Postby clshopeful » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:30 pm

I also had low SAT/LSAT but high GPA. I wrote an addendum, though who knows it it helped since there is no way to tell.

Basically, I wrote about how the college I went to had a much higher average SAT score than I got, and yet I was able to graduate with a 3.7, thus sbowing I was able to compete with everyone else and do well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�