Which is more helpful: writing why X law school or a diversity statement?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xephyr3

New

Which is more helpful: writing why X law school or a diversity statement?

Postby xephyr3 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:50 am

4.03/160 stats, non-URM. I'm going to apply to as many T14s and T20s as I can.

If I'm not immediately rejected on numbers alone, and the adcomms get past my PS, should I write a diversity statement or why X law school essay?

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: Which is more helpful: writing why X law school or a diversity statement?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:12 am

Neither of them are particularly helpful. Assuming (since there's no detail to go on) that you're a fairly average white person, writing a diversity statement could actually harm you, so I suppose a "Why [X]" would be better.

That said, you're wasting your GPA and should be retaking the LSAT instead of wasting time and money on long-shot applications.

xephyr3

New

Postby xephyr3 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:28 am

I should clarify that I'm a first generation Southeast Asian college student and immigrant. Grew up in a single mother household and pretty much went through life in great financial difficulty.

I retook the LSAT 3 times so 160 is what I have to stick with.

caitlinrw

Bronze

Postby caitlinrw » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:39 pm

xephyr3 wrote:I should clarify that I'm a first generation Southeast Asian college student and immigrant. Grew up in a single mother household and pretty much went through life in great financial difficulty.

I would say write a diversity statement about your experiences growing up that kind of partners to tell a greater story with your personal statement. You might not be a URM, but telling a story with your PS and DS will get you further than you may think.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 pm

xephyr3 wrote:I should clarify that I'm a first generation Southeast Asian college student and immigrant. Grew up in a single mother household and pretty much went through life in great financial difficulty.

Well, no. 160 is not what you have to stick with. You just have to wait a while before retaking, depending on when your first LSAT was.

A 160 gives you a bit of a shot at some of the T20, but with the possible exception of Berkeley (because their admissions process is slightly weird), you aren't getting anywhere in the T14 with that score.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Write both.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�