Mom applying to law school - other parents?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
klaudiaxo

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby klaudiaxo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:18 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
klaudiaxo wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
klaudiaxo wrote:I graduated a few years ago and had my son last year. I'm 23 w/ 3.5 UG GPA and 165 practice LSAT. I took it once and got a 149 (ugh I know)

I'm thinking of taking the Dec or Feb LSAT. My son is 11 months old right now; Any other parents out there studying right now?

If you got a 149 on your first try, you won't be ready by december. Start studying now for next June/Oct.


That was taken in 2013 clearly things have changed now.

Have you studied since then? I'm just saying that it's going to take more than 2 months to get from 149 to a score that will get you into a school worth attending.

Well, if she's getting 165 on practice tests now, circumstances are a little different.

Oh shit, I totally missed that. Sorry, OP!



That's ok. Yes I have studied on and off for the past year or so.

klaudiaxo

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby klaudiaxo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:06 pm

govlife wrote:0L here with kids too! I have two daughters, ages 4 and 2. I studied for the June LSAT all spring and managed to do really well spending nap times and evenings studying and a string of about 6 Saturday mornings for test conditions practice tests. You can definitely do it! Good luck! I actually did better on the real test than my PT average, maybe because of kid interruptions during some of my practice tests.


UH 178! You did REALLY good. What did you start off with? It's difficult right now because my son barely naps during the day and at night I am so tired. :roll:

klaudiaxo

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby klaudiaxo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:08 pm

mjm1315 wrote:
klaudiaxo wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:Hey, I'm in the same boat! I actually applied and got into UNC last cycle but deferred because I had a baby in February. He's 8 months old now and I'm 23 as well. My husband is in pharmacy school and everything seems to be going well now! It will probably be harder when we are both in school but I think it will be fine!


Hi! That's awesome :) what did you get on your LSAT? Between 8 and 11 months they definitely make some huge changes. but the lack of sleep stays the same :evil: unfortunately. :D


I got a 164! I was actually really happy and surprised by it because I took the LSAT while pregnant and had morning sickness the whole test!


I can't even imagine! I had morning sickness until 19 weeks and I ended up in the hospital. It was awful lol! I will take the LSAT over that any day. I wish I got it out of the way when I was pregnant, but I was looking into other careers and finally decided when my son was a few months old to take it again .. I hate standardized tests though. :(

klaudiaxo

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby klaudiaxo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:09 pm

cakerusk wrote:Hi OP, I'm under 30 too and mama to two beautiful daughters (age 3 and 1) and I took the LSAT after I had my second kid so I get ya. I am applying this cycle and have high hopes. I outperformed my practice test scores on test day so don't give up!


Thank you! Good luck!!! :D

User avatar
govlife

Bronze
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:41 am

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby govlife » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:52 pm

klaudiaxo wrote:
govlife wrote:0L here with kids too! I have two daughters, ages 4 and 2. I studied for the June LSAT all spring and managed to do really well spending nap times and evenings studying and a string of about 6 Saturday mornings for test conditions practice tests. You can definitely do it! Good luck! I actually did better on the real test than my PT average, maybe because of kid interruptions during some of my practice tests.


UH 178! You did REALLY good. What did you start off with? It's difficult right now because my son barely naps during the day and at night I am so tired. :roll:


That stage is so tough! I started at a 160 diagnostic and highly recommend the LSAT Trainer.

klaudiaxo

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby klaudiaxo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:04 pm

govlife wrote:
klaudiaxo wrote:
govlife wrote:0L here with kids too! I have two daughters, ages 4 and 2. I studied for the June LSAT all spring and managed to do really well spending nap times and evenings studying and a string of about 6 Saturday mornings for test conditions practice tests. You can definitely do it! Good luck! I actually did better on the real test than my PT average, maybe because of kid interruptions during some of my practice tests.


UH 178! You did REALLY good. What did you start off with? It's difficult right now because my son barely naps during the day and at night I am so tired. :roll:


That stage is so tough! I started at a 160 diagnostic and highly recommend the LSAT Trainer.


That is what I'm using! went from 149 3 years ago to 165 now with about 8 months of studyng or so.

User avatar
cakerusk

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby cakerusk » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:04 am

klaudiaxo wrote:
govlife wrote:
klaudiaxo wrote:
govlife wrote:0L here with kids too! I have two daughters, ages 4 and 2. I studied for the June LSAT all spring and managed to do really well spending nap times and evenings studying and a string of about 6 Saturday mornings for test conditions practice tests. You can definitely do it! Good luck! I actually did better on the real test than my PT average, maybe because of kid interruptions during some of my practice tests.


UH 178! You did REALLY good. What did you start off with? It's difficult right now because my son barely naps during the day and at night I am so tired. :roll:


That stage is so tough! I started at a 160 diagnostic and highly recommend the LSAT Trainer.


That is what I'm using! went from 149 3 years ago to 165 now with about 8 months of studyng or so.


I went from 155 diagnostic to 170 using Powerscore, cramped in long study hours on 12 consecutive weekends and made husband the sole caretaker for my babies 6am-3pm (with very short occasional breaks for my sanity). I think your baby's age plays a huge factor in your study productivity, and every month counts in the infant stage! If you can, try to retake. Studying with a 6 month old around versus a 1 yr old is very different IMO.

klaudiaxo

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby klaudiaxo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:50 pm

cakerusk wrote:
klaudiaxo wrote:
govlife wrote:
klaudiaxo wrote:
govlife wrote:0L here with kids too! I have two daughters, ages 4 and 2. I studied for the June LSAT all spring and managed to do really well spending nap times and evenings studying and a string of about 6 Saturday mornings for test conditions practice tests. You can definitely do it! Good luck! I actually did better on the real test than my PT average, maybe because of kid interruptions during some of my practice tests.


UH 178! You did REALLY good. What did you start off with? It's difficult right now because my son barely naps during the day and at night I am so tired. :roll:


That stage is so tough! I started at a 160 diagnostic and highly recommend the LSAT Trainer.


That is what I'm using! went from 149 3 years ago to 165 now with about 8 months of studyng or so.


I went from 155 diagnostic to 170 using Powerscore, cramped in long study hours on 12 consecutive weekends and made husband the sole caretaker for my babies 6am-3pm (with very short occasional breaks for my sanity). I think your baby's age plays a huge factor in your study productivity, and every month counts in the infant stage! If you can, try to retake. Studying with a 6 month old around versus a 1 yr old is very different IMO.


Did you study during the week or just mostly bulk it on the weekends? i study between 9-1am and i'm burning out right now, but I don't have any time during the week since my son barely naps and when he does i'm cooking dinner etc.

YoungSimba

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:06 am

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby YoungSimba » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:58 am

Hi Moms! This thread caused me to recall a recent article you all may appreciate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/opini ... .html?_r=0

A little inspiration and advice from RBG who also did law school with an infant.

User avatar
cakerusk

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby cakerusk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:10 pm

klaudiaxo wrote:
cakerusk wrote:
klaudiaxo wrote:
govlife wrote:
klaudiaxo wrote:
govlife wrote:0L here with kids too! I have two daughters, ages 4 and 2. I studied for the June LSAT all spring and managed to do really well spending nap times and evenings studying and a string of about 6 Saturday mornings for test conditions practice tests. You can definitely do it! Good luck! I actually did better on the real test than my PT average, maybe because of kid interruptions during some of my practice tests.


UH 178! You did REALLY good. What did you start off with? It's difficult right now because my son barely naps during the day and at night I am so tired. :roll:


That stage is so tough! I started at a 160 diagnostic and highly recommend the LSAT Trainer.


That is what I'm using! went from 149 3 years ago to 165 now with about 8 months of studyng or so.


I went from 155 diagnostic to 170 using Powerscore, cramped in long study hours on 12 consecutive weekends and made husband the sole caretaker for my babies 6am-3pm (with very short occasional breaks for my sanity). I think your baby's age plays a huge factor in your study productivity, and every month counts in the infant stage! If you can, try to retake. Studying with a 6 month old around versus a 1 yr old is very different IMO.


Did you study during the week or just mostly bulk it on the weekends? i study between 9-1am and i'm burning out right now, but I don't have any time during the week since my son barely naps and when he does i'm cooking dinner etc.


Yeah ditch the dinner if you can, and hand over that bundle of cuteness for a few hours to spouse/grandparent/hired help. I know it's tough but gotta do what you gotta do :( I mostly studied on weekends but put in an hour or so on alternate weekdays as well, whenever possible.

User avatar
cakerusk

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby cakerusk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:10 pm

YoungSimba wrote:Hi Moms! This thread caused me to recall a recent article you all may appreciate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/opini ... .html?_r=0

A little inspiration and advice from RBG who also did law school with an infant.


That was a great article and she is so inspirational!

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:50 pm

Not a mom... but sat in on a class at Berkeley with my friend from UG who is a 2L. I was talking to her about stuff as I'm a bit older, but she said had mentioned there are quite a few older people including those with kids - so no frets!

klaudiaxo

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Mom applying to law school - other parents?

Postby klaudiaxo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:19 am

YoungSimba wrote:Hi Moms! This thread caused me to recall a recent article you all may appreciate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/opini ... .html?_r=0

A little inspiration and advice from RBG who also did law school with an infant.


Love this! thanks :)



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sophocles and 10 guests