Improving softs in a year

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Improving softs in a year

Postby ivankasta » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:02 pm

I am very happy with my numbers, but I'm worried that they will underperform due to my poor softs.

All I have as of now is 4 summers of experience shadowing/working at the small law firm my family runs and the fact that I double majored in physics and philosophy. I haven't joined any clubs, played any sports since high school, done any research, or had any non-family internships.

I am not applying until next cycle so I have about a year to add things to my resume. I still have 7 months before I leave my undergrad, so campus organizations are still an option, but I don't think leadership would be on the table.

My two questions are:

What types of activities do you think will have the biggest impact in regards to filling my softs gap?

Assuming my softs will never reach the level of "good" for the T14, how much of a negative impact will this have on strong numbers?

Thank you!

Re: Improving softs in a year

Postby grades?? » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:05 pm

There isn't much you can do soft wise to change anything now. What you might consider is taking time off between graduation and heading to law school and getting some substantive work experience. Especially for the t14, the trend is to strongly favor applicants who have work experience after undergrad.

Re: Improving softs in a year

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Your softs are average. Nothing to worry about.
Schools other than YSB won't care too much and your numbers will get your acceptances and $$$ everywhere else (assuming they really are strong).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”