Berkeley Sample Diversity Statement Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dreadhead168

New

Berkeley Sample Diversity Statement

Post by Dreadhead168 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:36 am

Is anybody who has been accepted at Berkeley within the last few years and who had submitted a diversity statement willing to share their statement? I'm trying to write mine now but am having difficulty with the 350 word limit. I assume that many applicants forgo the diversity statement given the generosity of room to write in the PS, but I already have a pretty solid PS written that does not focus on diversity and would like to at least write about diversity somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Dreadhead168

New

Re: Berkeley Sample Diversity Statement

Post by Dreadhead168 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Now that I've viewed a few more schools applications, it seems that there quite a few that have a tight limit on how long these diversity statements can be. Any sample 1-page double-sided diversity statement would be welcome; it does not have to be for Berkeley specifically.

xephyr3

New

Post by xephyr3 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:48 am

Dreadhead168 wrote:Is anybody who has been accepted at Berkeley within the last few years and who had submitted a diversity statement willing to share their statement? I'm trying to write mine now but am having difficulty with the 350 word limit. I assume that many applicants forgo the diversity statement given the generosity of room to write in the PS, but I already have a pretty solid PS written that does not focus on diversity and would like to at least write about diversity somewhere.

Thanks in advance!
Where in their website do they say there is a 350 word limit?

"You may submit separate, supplementary statements to highlight any particular topics that you wish to bring to our attention. Examples may include a history of poor standardized test-taking (a copy of previous test scores is required), how you might contribute to the diversity of the school, or other specific incidents that you wish to explain."

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... nd-resume/

No mention of a 350 word limit

Dreadhead168

New

Post by Dreadhead168 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:31 am

xephyr3 wrote:
Where in their website do they say there is a 350 word limit?

"You may submit separate, supplementary statements to highlight any particular topics that you wish to bring to our attention. Examples may include a history of poor standardized test-taking (a copy of previous test scores is required), how you might contribute to the diversity of the school, or other specific incidents that you wish to explain."

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... nd-resume/

No mention of a 350 word limit
When filling in the actual Berkeley application through LSAC, the description given in the diversity statement section is as followed: "How will you (your perspective, experience, Voice) contribute diveristy in our classrooms and community? (350 word maximum)

Here's a link to a screenshot of that page

http://imgur.com/2jX9WUK

As another example, Penn's diversity statement has a one-page double sided limit. That's also mentioned in their actual application through LSAC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”