Which GPA do they see FIRST? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lula43

Bronze

Which GPA do they see FIRST?

Post by lula43 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:35 am

I completed college credits in high school through the local community college. Some of them transferred to my institution, some didn't. I just found out that LSAC counted even the credits I did not transfer, one of which was a D in high school Spanish. This brought my GPA down from a (degree) 3.86 to a (cumulative) 3.71. Being a splitter, I was really relying on the former GPA for my applications. I know they pull apps from the pile based on what they're looking for. Which GPA will they see during their initial scan of my file? Considering the 3.86 is at or above the 75th for most of the schools to which I am applying, will they look at that number? I don't want my apps to be thrown away before they even read my addendum.

I hope this is all clear. I'm panicking a bit right now.

sweets91

Silver

Re: Which GPA do they see FIRST?

Post by sweets91 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:39 am

lula43 wrote:I completed college credits in high school through the local community college. Some of them transferred to my institution, some didn't. I just found out that LSAC counted even the credits I did not transfer, one of which was a D in high school Spanish. This brought my GPA down from a (degree) 3.86 to a (cumulative) 3.71. Being a splitter, I was really relying on the former GPA for my applications. I know they pull apps from the pile based on what they're looking for. Which GPA will they see during their initial scan of my file? Considering the 3.86 is at or above the 75th for most of the schools to which I am applying, will they look at that number? I don't want my apps to be thrown away before they even read my addendum.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but LSAC cumulative GPA is what matters. That being said, a 3.71 is still very good!

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:43 am

sweets91 wrote:
lula43 wrote:I completed college credits in high school through the local community college. Some of them transferred to my institution, some didn't. I just found out that LSAC counted even the credits I did not transfer, one of which was a D in high school Spanish. This brought my GPA down from a (degree) 3.86 to a (cumulative) 3.71. Being a splitter, I was really relying on the former GPA for my applications. I know they pull apps from the pile based on what they're looking for. Which GPA will they see during their initial scan of my file? Considering the 3.86 is at or above the 75th for most of the schools to which I am applying, will they look at that number? I don't want my apps to be thrown away before they even read my addendum.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but LSAC cumulative GPA is what matters. That being said, a 3.71 is still very good!
thanks, but not for a splitter of my kind. I am so bummed right now! That class literally didn't even apply toward my degree in anyway... It was just a dual enrollment program. Damn it!

sweets91

Silver

Post by sweets91 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:46 am

lula43 wrote:
sweets91 wrote:

thanks, but not for a splitter of my kind. I am so bummed right now! That class literally didn't even apply toward my degree in anyway... It was just a dual enrollment program. Damn it!
Frankly, I don't think a 3.71 on your transcript will result in any school just throwing away your file before looking through it. If you wrote an addendum about it and drew attention to your 3.86 degree GPA, it could make a difference in your case.

It's just that the most relevant GPA is your cumulative GPA.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:06 am

lula43 wrote:
sweets91 wrote:

thanks, but not for a splitter of my kind.
you mean a reverse splitter?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:07 am

Rigo wrote:
lula43 wrote:
sweets91 wrote:

Yes, that is what I meant.

sweets91

Silver

Post by sweets91 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:08 am

Rigo wrote:
lula43 wrote:
sweets91 wrote:

I assumed OP meant her LSAT was super low or something, so she meant degree of splitter, rather than type

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:10 am

You can't retake your GPA, but you can and should retake the LSAT.

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:11 am

sweets91 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
lula43 wrote:
sweets91 wrote:

I assumed OP meant her LSAT was super low or something, so she meant degree of splitter, rather than type
I guess I meant both. I'm still waiting for my September score, but I'm expecting it to be just a few points lower than the 25th for the lower T14 schools. (AA female)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”