What to include on Résumé/extracurricular section?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawschoolHopeful2k16

New

What to include on Résumé/extracurricular section?

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:46 am

Hi all,

Does anyone have advice for what I should or should not include on my résumé or in the education or extracurriculars sections of applications?

Should I remove an old job that I worked for the summer before and summer after my first year of college? It was just a 30 hr/wk job. Nothing remarkable, but if I remove it it might lead schools to wonder what I did after my first year of college.

Should I remove that I am an Eagle scout? Ive had it on my resume for years, but since I haven't been involved in scouting since then and it's from my senior year of high school I don't think it really helps. Although, I've landed internships because of the connection of the boss or hiring manager etc. being an Eagle Scout as well. Does anyone think it hurts to leave it on? The only downside I can see with leaving it on is that I would seem immature or like I just have no clue what's appropriate for a law school resume.

Also, Should I put the semesters that I got Deans list on the awards/honors section? I think it highlights that even though my first 2 years were sub-part performance, I got at least the 3.65 required for Deans list the next 2 years. But I risk being redundant since they would see it on my transcripts.

Finally, does anyone know where I should include that I submitted a paper and gave a presentation on it to students and faculty at an undergraduate conference? There's not enough room to explain it on the awards section or extra curriculars section and it wasn't really an award even though I needed to have mine chosen from a pool of students from a couple dozen schools across the country. But at the same time it doesn't seem major enough to put on my résumé.

Thanks for the help!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Re: What to include on Résumé/extracurricular section?

Postby studyingeveryday » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:13 pm

I think definitely put down the summer job and the honors. I asked a few schools and they said they didn't care if our resume was one or two pages if that's what your concern is. I think it's much better to specify what you did, otherwise schools will just assume you didn't do it anything. I'm not sure about the eagle scouts though. I'm not sure about the paper/presentation thing but I think you should go to your schools' career services and ask for help about putting that in and formatting your resume since they can help more with the specifics.

It's weird because we have to put all this stuff down in our apps anyway so I don't quite understand why we have to put it on our resume too. (Does anyone have any insight on this?)

LawschoolHopeful2k16

New

Re: What to include on Résumé/extracurricular section?

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Anyone else have any insight to offer? Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?