Academic Probation Addendum Help Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sushibarwxam

New

Academic Probation Addendum Help

Post by sushibarwxam » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:43 pm

Edit: Deleted.
Last edited by sushibarwxam on Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Re: Academic Probation Addendum Help

Post by Mr. Archer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:59 pm

It's a little hard to tell if this is enough explanation without reading your PS. The addendum should be to the point. But this is a little quick and assumes the reader will recall the PS to understand what was holding you back and how you overcame it.

You might think about rearranging how you present your GPA. If you our big dip was sophomore year, you might be better off starting with a discussion of your first-year GPA (maybe a mention of dean's list or something academically impressive if possible). This might help show that you started off with a strong GPA, then had a low GPA because of issues, and finally have an upward trend ending in a 4.0 with strong academic extracurriculars. You only mention certain GPAs specifically, so I assume that was on purpose. It might be helpful to include your GPA the semester you came off academic probation, as well as other specific semester GPAs, if it makes your academic performance look stronger overall.

I think you could reword your accomplishments from last semester a bit. Right now the last sentence is just a statement of your resume. It would be better to describe that you've had the upward grade trend. Then in one sentence explain that last semester you maintained a 4.0GPA (and made dean's list/some honor society?), all while serving in your second year as mock trial VP and interning X hours per week and a local criminal defense firm. The connection can better show your ability to succeed academically while maintaining a full schedule.

I've also seen that these addenda have some statement along the lines of the stronger GPA semesters being more reflective of academic potential/ability.

sushibarwxam

New

Re: Academic Probation Addendum Help

Post by sushibarwxam » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:44 am

Thanks, mate. That was certainly helpful...I'll rework and see how it is.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”