Letters of Recommendation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abenson

New

Letters of Recommendation

Postby abenson » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:41 pm

While looking into the LSAC's information on Letters of Recommendation, I'm curious about other's experiences when it comes to the weight and importance letters of recommendation have. LSAC article here: http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law- ... valuations

From your experiences, how important is who writes the letter of recommendation? Would it be better to ask one of my undergraduate professors in my major, someone that I've worked with in the professional world, or another faculty member that I worked with closely with through my campus involvement?

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Letters of Recommendation

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:49 pm

The first option. LOR's should speak to your academic ability and potential first and foremost.

abenson

New

Postby abenson » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:53 pm

Rigo wrote:The first option. LOR's should speak to your academic ability and potential first and foremost.

Thank you for the quick response.

How important is the LOR compared to the quantitive factors (GPA and LSAT) as well as compared to other qualitative factors (work experience, involvement, etc.)?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:56 pm

abenson wrote:
Rigo wrote:The first option. LOR's should speak to your academic ability and potential first and foremost.

How important is the LOR compared to the quantitive factors (GPA and LSAT) as well as compared to other qualitative factors (work experience, involvement, etc.)?

LSAT/GPA is 90% (conservatively) of the admissions decision. LORs, work experience, personal statements, and all the nonsense that you really wish was important make up the other 10%.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:58 pm

abenson wrote:

Your hard numbers matter far more than soft factors. Having work experience is usually the strongest soft factor. LOR's don't usually matter that much unless your prof bad mouths you.

JG820

New

Postby JG820 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but do you think schools view applicants negatively if they only have 2 LOR? I know Michigan wants 3 so besides them.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:26 pm

JG820 wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but do you think schools view applicants negatively if they only have 2 LOR? I know Michigan wants 3 so besides them.

No. The only thing I can think of is if you have several years WE but no supervisor LOR, then maybe.

Also, really? Fuck Michigan.

JG820

New

Postby JG820 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:29 pm

Rigo wrote:
JG820 wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but do you think schools view applicants negatively if they only have 2 LOR? I know Michigan wants 3 so besides them.

No. The only thing I can think of is if you have several years WE but no supervisor LOR, then maybe.

Also, really? Fuck Michigan.

Yea haha you can apply with only one but they "encourage you to submit three." Annoying.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:31 pm

Just checked. It says 1-3. I thought they changed their policy to REQUIRE three in the past year or something.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�