Chance for HLS.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
derekne

New

Chance for HLS.

Postby derekne » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a Physics, Econ, Poli Sci major at a top ten state school and have my heart set on HLS. I've got a 3.77 GPA and a 178 LSAT. Looking at law school numbers it shows that I have a greater than 50% chance of being admitted. I'm finding that hard to believe considering my GPA is barely above their 25th percentile and while I have a high LSAT score, I have no work experience,(Harvard seems to really value that). Will these numbers coming from a K-JD,(along with the possibility of a slight boost from being in a STEM major), make me that competitive? I really want to be realistic with myself and don't want to get my hopes up.

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Re: Chance for HLS.

Postby QuentonCassidy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:45 pm

derekne wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm a Physics, Econ, Poli Sci major at a top ten state school and have my heart set on HLS. I've got a 3.77 GPA and a 178 LSAT. Looking at law school numbers it shows that I have a greater than 50% chance of being admitted. I'm finding that hard to believe considering my GPA is barely above their 25th percentile and while I have a high LSAT score, I have no work experience,(Harvard seems to really value that). Will these numbers coming from a K-JD,(along with the possibility of a slight boost from being in a STEM major), make me that competitive? I really want to be realistic with myself and don't want to get my hopes up.

I would certainly trust the info on mylsn over any anecdotal info on here. LS is a numbers game and with an LSAT>75 and GPA>25 you have a solid shot. Your softs/school won't really change anything, like you said there is a possible slight boost from your STEM major, and while Harvard does place a premium on work experience (>80% are 1+ years out of UG), they do accept plenty of KJDs and are still highly numbers-oriented. I would say that mylsn chances will probably be very accurate for you.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:15 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Postby TripTrip » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:13 pm

QuentonCassidy wrote:
derekne wrote:Hi Everyone,

I would certainly trust the info on mylsn over any anecdotal info on here. LS is a numbers game and with an LSAT>75 and GPA>25 you have a solid shot. Your softs/school won't really change anything, like you said there is a possible slight boost from your STEM major, and while Harvard does place a premium on work experience (>80% are 1+ years out of UG), they do accept plenty of KJDs and are still highly numbers-oriented. I would say that mylsn chances will probably be very accurate for you.

TITCR.

If you want to know the "why" behind it: they only need to report medians to USNWR. The fact that' you're below the 25th isn't nearly as relevant as being under the 50th.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�