Will they see Failed Community College Class

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
generallennon

New

Will they see Failed Community College Class

Postby generallennon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:08 pm

Hello,

I am a junior in college and have an otherwise decent GPA (3.83). However, over the summer I took a class at a community college. Midway through the class I got lazy and quit working on the class, and got an F as a result. When/if I apply to law school, will this be "found out"?

Also: withdrawals. Last semester I was in pretty bad shape (drug addiction) and withdrew from school entirely through the "medical withdrawal" program at my school. They are noted as Ws on my transcript. Will these affect my GPA in the application GPA calculator?

arklaw13

Gold

Re: Will they see Failed Community College Class

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:13 pm

generallennon wrote:However, over the summer I took a class at a community college. Midway through the class I got lazy and quit working on the class, and got an F as a result. When/if I apply to law school, will this be "found out"?

You'll have to give a transcript from this school. Pretty sure everything before your first bachelor's degree counts.

generallennon wrote:Also: withdrawals. Last semester I was in pretty bad shape (drug addiction) and withdrew from school entirely through the "medical withdrawal" program at my school. They are noted as Ws on my transcript. Will these affect my GPA in the application GPA calculator?

Not as sure, but if your school doesn't factor it into your GPA, I don't think LSAC does.

generallennon

New

Postby generallennon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:15 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
You'll have to give a transcript from this school. Pretty sure everything before your first bachelor's degree counts.

I know you'll criticize me for dishonesty, but how likely is it that this will be discovered if I "forget" to request a transcript from them?

arklaw13

Gold

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:18 pm

generallennon wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

I know you'll criticize me for dishonesty, but how likely is it that this will be discovered if I "forget" to request a transcript from them?

This is how people fail the character & fitness portion of the bar.

generallennon

New

Postby generallennon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:22 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
generallennon wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

How? You're telling me the bar is going to research my transcripts and discover a missing transcript at X community college that I didn't submit?

arklaw13

Gold

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:47 pm

generallennon wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
generallennon wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

How? You're telling me the bar is going to research my transcripts and discover a missing transcript at X community college that I didn't submit?

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying.

generallennon

New

Postby generallennon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:55 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
generallennon wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
generallennon wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Ok fair enough.

If this fail score is included in my GPA is becomes 3.84, but if it isn't included I have a 3.97. My LSAT score is 178. A 3.84 is obviously well below median at a few top law schools, whereas my LSAT is slightly above the median. Do these balance out?

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:05 am

Last edited by HYPSM on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:07 am

There's been at least one thread like this before. Here's the advice given to that poster:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=160541

Your grade will be discovered at some point. The character and fitness portion of the bar is checking to see if you were honest or dishonest. Getting caught for something like this would prevent you from practicing.

The semester of W's might require an addendum, and the drug problem is also a C&F concern.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:14 am

generallennon wrote:If this fail score is included in my GPA is becomes 3.84, but if it isn't included I have a 3.97. My LSAT score is 178. A 3.84 is obviously well below median at a few top law schools, whereas my LSAT is slightly above the median. Do these balance out?

Impressive stats. Report the F. You will do excellent with all schools with a 3.84 and you don't want a dark C&F cloud hanging over you.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:28 pm

generallennon wrote:If this fail score is included in my GPA is becomes 3.84, but if it isn't included I have a 3.97. My LSAT score is 178. A 3.84 is obviously well below median at a few top law schools, whereas my LSAT is slightly above the median. Do these balance out?

So, a way some of us might be viewing your state of mind right now: it might be better to go to Harvard and then be banned from practicing law for lying on your application than to go to Columbia and be a lawyer.

Your numbers can get into literally any law school in the country. good luck. don't be an idiot about this!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�