Driving record question:

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brinicolec

Gold

Driving record question:

Postby brinicolec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:42 pm

So, neither of the speeding tickets I've received are showing up on my driving record. Does that mean I should just not acknowledge them in my apps since they're not acknowledged by the DMV(s) that would have recorded them? (Also, since they're not on my driving record, I don't have the specifics of which infraction it was/how much I paid/the date/anything so all I'd be able to say is like "I received a speeding ticket at some point and paid a fine").

PS Don't quote.

guynourmin

Gold

Re: Driving record question:

Postby guynourmin » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:11 pm

brinicolec wrote:PS Don't quote.

you haven't said anything even close to not-quotable!

Anyway, if the application seems like it wants you to list moving violations, then you definitely should. Just because you haven't found any record of them doesn't alleviate you of any obligation to disclose. Something as simple as "I received speeding tickets in 2007, 2008, and either 2012 or 2013. I have contacted the DMV for these records and they are unable to provide them, so while I am unaware of the exact infractions, I do know none were considered reckless driving. All fines were fully paid and there are no outstanding issues in regards to any of these moving infractions"

caitlinrw

Bronze

Postby caitlinrw » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:18 pm

Yeah some of the schools I applied to specifically stated that they wanted speeding tickets included, so I just did a small addendum with the two I had, and I was accepted to those schools. Just be honest and open.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:51 pm

guybourdin wrote:

Anyway, if the application seems like it wants you to list moving violations, then you definitely should. Just because you haven't found any record of them doesn't alleviate you of any obligation to disclose. Something as simple as "I received speeding tickets in 2007, 2008, and either 2012 or 2013. I have contacted the DMV for these records and they are unable to provide them, so while I am unaware of the exact infractions, I do know none were considered reckless driving. All fines were fully paid and there are no outstanding issues in regards to any of these moving infractions"

I mean I literally don't remember the year either, which is the problem. I have no specifics. It could be any time period between like 2013 and 2015.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:55 pm

brinicolec wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

I mean I literally don't remember the year either, which is the problem. I have no specifics. It could be any time period between like 2013 and 2015.

I addressed that with my 2012 or 2013 comment. You can be vague: I received two speeding tickets in college; I received one speeding ticket in college and once since graduation, etc. If they specifically ask for you to disclose, you have to. end of story. Saying you don't remember when is fine; not saying anything is a terrible idea.

You have specifics: you got speeding tickets, and you paid the fines (hopefully). one, two, hell - five speeding tickets aren't going to hurt your app at all.

forum_user

Silver

Postby forum_user » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Last edited by forum_user on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

playersball

Bronze

Postby playersball » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:03 pm

I had the same situation, I knew I had a couple of tickets but did not remember specifics. I even paid the $5 or whatever to request my DMV record only to get a blank record lol.

What I did was reach out to my insurance broker who was able to email me some of my previous records he had pulled when doing whatever they do to get me an insurance policy. This record had all of the information I needed, going back to like 6 years ago. Hopefully you can reach out to your insurance broker or your insurance company and get the information from them!

I think it is worth the extra steps even if it is expunged from the DMV record, because it can still be found in places like county records.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:22 pm

playersball wrote:I had the same situation, I knew I had a couple of tickets but did not remember specifics. I even paid the $5 or whatever to request my DMV record only to get a blank record lol.

What I did was reach out to my insurance broker who was able to email me some of my previous records he had pulled when doing whatever they do to get me an insurance policy. This record had all of the information I needed, going back to like 6 years ago. Hopefully you can reach out to your insurance broker or your insurance company and get the information from them!

I think it is worth the extra steps even if it is expunged from the DMV record, because it can still be found in places like county records.

Hm, maybe I'll just give a general time period and tell them what the charge was (speeding). I don't pay for my insurance so I'd have to try to get my dad to do it and he's basically always busy :?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?