How important is your GPA "trend?" Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
haley1996

New

How important is your GPA "trend?"

Post by haley1996 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:06 pm

For my first two years of undergrad, I kept a 4.3 GPA, which is an A+ average at my school.

I'm not sure if I can maintain the 4.3 average this year.
But I know that I can still manage a mix of 4.3/4.0 in all of my classes.

I realize that my cumulative GPA will still be above 4.0, but I heard that a downward trend is seen as a really bad sign.
How much consideration is given to the downward trend if you can still manage an above A average?

(Also, when law schools say their median GPA is 3.9, it's on LSAC's 4.33 scale, right?
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I couldn't find any schools that explicitly said this.)

Thanks!

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: How important is your GPA "trend?"

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:11 pm

haley1996 wrote:For my first two years of undergrad, I kept a 4.3 GPA, which is an A+ average at my school.

I realize that my cumulative GPA will still be above 4.0, but I heard that a downward trend is seen as a really bad sign.
How much consideration is given to the downward trend if you can still manage an above A average?

(Also, when law schools say their median GPA is 3.9, it's on LSAC's 4.33 scale, right?
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I couldn't find any schools that explicitly said this.)

Thanks!
Go away, troll.

haley1996

New

Post by haley1996 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Go away, troll.[/quote]

I'm really sorry :(
I go to a really small university and I don't know anyone who went to t14 law schools. I didn't mean to sound like I was trolling.
My "advisors" don't really give much real advice and just scare me a lot of the times.

So I shouldn't be too worried about a small drop in my GPA?
Thanks, then.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:27 pm

haley1996 wrote:For my first two years of undergrad, I kept a 4.3 GPA, which is an A+ average at my school.

Thanks!
Downward trend towards an A average won't hurt you at all. If you start getting a lot of B's I might worry, but really not because of the "trend", but just because of it's effect on your actual GPA. The "trend" is a very, very small consideration, and I've really only heard of it being used in people's favor. But for the t14, you're probably just as well off pretending it doesn't exist.

And yes, median GPAs are calculated using the LSAC reports and GPA scale.

haley1996

New

Post by haley1996 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:31 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:

Thanks!
Downward trend towards an A average won't hurt you at all. If you start getting a lot of B's I might worry, but really not because of the "trend", but just because of it's effect on your actual GPA. The "trend" is a very, very small consideration, and I've really only heard of it being used in people's favor. But for the t14, you're probably just as well off pretending it doesn't exist.

And yes, median GPAs are calculated using the LSAC reports and GPA scale.

That is such a relief! I'll try my best not to get any B's.
Thanks for your help :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Even a B+ and you're probably screwed out of every T14.

Kidding: Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:44 pm

haley1996 wrote:
Don't worry about it too much haha, I was kinda joking there and getting a B definitely wouldn't be the end of the world. At the end of the day there are a lot of diminishing returns to having a GPA over a given school's 75th percentile, and even Yale's 75th is below 4.0. And there are plenty of good schools with medians and 75ths way lower than that.

I'm giving you a serious answer largely because I had a pretty similar mindset when I was in UG. Admittedly, I was a CC transfer so I was worried that schools wouldn't take my first two years of grades seriously, but I was absolutely paranoid about getting even a B+ during my junior and senior years. The amount of stress I put on myself just probably wasn't worth it. Do your best and all that good stuff, but if you hit some hard times and end up with a 3.8, you're still in a better position than the vast majority of applicants.

At the end of the day, it's probably going to be your LSAT score that determines where you go. There aren't too many "reverse splitter" friendly schools in the t14 (Berkeley is, and maybe one other school? Can't remember off the top of my head), so having even a 4.3 isn't going to help you all that much if you've got a 165 or below on the LSAT. But you're still in your junior year, so you shouldn't even be worrying about the LSAT yet.

My advice: keep kicking ass in your classes as best you can, but don't stress too much about it. Don't worry about the LSAT yet, and, if you can, really consider taking at least a year off after graduating. There's no better time to study for the LSAT than the summer after graduation.

haley1996

New

Post by haley1996 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:56 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:
haley1996 wrote:
Don't worry about it too much haha, I was kinda joking there and getting a B definitely wouldn't be the end of the world. At the end of the day there are a lot of diminishing returns to having a GPA over a given school's 75th percentile, and even Yale's 75th is below 4.0. And there are plenty of good schools with medians and 75ths way lower than that.

I'm giving you a serious answer largely because I had a pretty similar mindset when I was in UG. Admittedly, I was a CC transfer so I was worried that schools wouldn't take my first two years of grades seriously, but I was absolutely paranoid about getting even a B+ during my junior and senior years. The amount of stress I put on myself just probably wasn't worth it. Do your best and all that good stuff, but if you hit some hard times and end up with a 3.8, you're still in a better position than the vast majority of applicants.

At the end of the day, it's probably going to be your LSAT score that determines where you go. There aren't too many "reverse splitter" friendly schools in the t14 (Berkeley is, and maybe one other school? Can't remember off the top of my head), so having even a 4.3 isn't going to help you all that much if you've got a 165 or below on the LSAT. But you're still in your junior year, so you shouldn't even be worrying about the LSAT yet.

My advice: keep kicking ass in your classes as best you can, but don't stress too much about it. Don't worry about the LSAT yet, and, if you can, really consider taking at least a year off after graduating. There's no better time to study for the LSAT than the summer after graduation.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed response. I hope everything worked out well for you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”