Re-take LSAT in February/June after applying?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
studyingeveryday

Silver

Re-take LSAT in February/June after applying?

Postby studyingeveryday » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:42 pm

So..I was browsing some old posts and found people talking about applying for a cycle, then 5-6 months later in June, re-taking the LSAT and getting a higher score, and then asking schools for more scholarship or re-asking schools they got rejected from to take them with their new score. Is this a thing people do? Or just an anomaly? If any has any experiences with this could you please share?

Obviously, I would not depend on this in any way, but my three tries are up and I already waited out a cycle. But if there's any chance this is actually something that possibly works..now I'm wondering if maybe I should re-take the test February just to see if I could do better. (I'm planning on applying by the end of this month). Thoughts?

bmathers

Silver

Re: Re-take LSAT in February/June after applying?

Postby bmathers » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:13 pm

I applied before I received my Feb score (bombed it for the schools I applied to). I was either rejected or waitlisted to every school. I then took my June LSAT and improved by 5 scaled points. Most of the waitlisted schools accepted me (most with ship offers), but the schools that had previously rejected me would not re-review my application (even though, for some of them, I was at or above their LSAT median). I didn't accept and retook again in September, getting an early start on this cycle.

That seems to be an ok strategy for schools that still ave an open file with you, but not so much if they have already rejected you.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:09 pm

I did it. Retook June, got more money. It was a thing for me but YMMV I guess. Considering it's a freeroll with no downside I say go for it.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:11 pm

Also I know of multiple people who have done it, I'd go ahead and take those old threads you've read at face value instead of thinking that people were lying or whatever.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Postby BobBoblaw » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:04 am

This is my plan. I decided fairly late in the game to apply this cycle (I'm an NTS), so didn't make the registration deadline for September. I'll be writing the December test, sending off my applications, and if I get a subpar December score will retake in February in the hopes that a higher score might keep me in the running for top schools.

Of course this all depends on schools not rejecting me before February scores come out...

Bebop

New

Postby Bebop » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:05 am

I went from waitlist to full-ride with a feb. bump.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:19 am

Whoa, thanks for the responses everyone. Do you all recommend I note in my application that I'm going to retake in February, or just email schools if I take it and actually end up with a higher score?

Bebop

New

Postby Bebop » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:40 am

I e-mailed the schools I believe. But I had already sent in my applications at the time.

EDIT: oh, I see what your saying. Well the schools will see that you are taking it from your LSAC when you enroll. I think every school that hadn't made a decision when they saw that for me held off on a decision until it came in, so if you think you have a legitimate shot at being admitted/waitlisted with your current score you might want to apply and hold off on registering for a while.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�