Is Law School for me?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Is Law School for me?

Postby JOHN3IT » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:40 pm

And what ones could I get into?

Hello Everybody,

My name is John. I am new to these forums, and discovered you guys after doing some very preliminary research of potentially going on this journey. I am a 27 year old computer tech that works for a pretty well-known non-profit in the tri-state area USA. I am starting to look at law schools there, namely in New York City, to practice Intellectual Property Law. My dream job is making technology law of any sort. As I love tech and research. I heard mentioning where I work could help in a future application process, I may or may not want to take. I graduated from a lower level university in Florida in 2012. I have been working in the technology sector for four years now. More than two of those years at the non-profit mentioned before. For my bachelor's degree I took Computer Information Systems. I got a 2.8 GPA Overall and a 3.0 in my major.

I didn't realize how important these grades were when I was in college because I didn't realize that I may have wanted to go back to school one day.

What should I do about my low GPA from undergraduate? Should I get a master's first? What should I do next?

Re: Is Law School for me?

Postby HYPSM » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:58 pm

Last edited by HYPSM on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:47 am

I wouldn't. You'll either go to a shitty school with bad job prospects or pay sticker as a super splitter at a good school.

Postby toobig2lose » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:45 pm

It won't help to go to grad school. Your undergrad gpa is set on stone and Admissions will only look at your undergrad GPA and the LSAT for numbers.

Well if you have a strong desire to be a litigator/attorney, yes go for it. If you're thinking about big bank and riding super sport cars and the prestige of being a lawyer....forget about it.

Barack O'Drama

Post removed...

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:36 am

Post removed...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”