Quit job to study?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SoapyIllusion

New

Quit job to study?

Postby SoapyIllusion » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:42 pm

So I recently graduated from college and have decided to apply for fall 2018 as I wanted to take some time off from school.

Decided to retake the LSAT in February and bought the 7sage starter course but it's just so hard to find time to study without feeling exhausted. I work about 50 hours a week in addition to running every day with an elite track club team as I am not yet ready to give up racing competively. As such, my day consists of work from 6am-5pm, run/gym from 6-8pm and then studying for 2 hours while eating dinner before repeating until the weekend. While it has been working, it's just left me feeling exhausted.

I was thinking of putting in my 2 weeks notice and getting a part-time job so I would have more time to study for the LSAT and then accept a full-time position job in March and keep that job until it's time to leave for law school. The full-time job has about a 3 month application process and I am currently in the midst of it so it should hopefully come into fruition by the end of my LSAT stint in February which works out perfectly.

Should I do this?

Tldr:
Taking LSAT in February
Should I quit my full time job to get a part-time one while studying until February, after which I would have a full time job that starts in March that I would keep until law school?

taxman14

Silver

Re: Quit job to study?

Postby taxman14 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:46 pm

Obviously depends on if you need the money, but you could also just give up the track for a few months. $ > LSAT > running

Unless running is more important than you than the job, or if you don't need the money, I'd recommend just dropping the track and studying after work and especially on the weekends. If you see that that doesn't work, then I'd put in your two weeks, switch job for LSAT and pick up track again.

TLDR: substitute track for LSAT

SoapyIllusion

New

Postby SoapyIllusion » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:13 pm

I guess there's a little more to it haha I strongly dislike my job. For comparison, I'd much rather take a fat pay-cut by working at a retail store...or watching paint dry. It wouldn't be all that bad if I didn't go to work each day knowing my studying would be hindered.

I know that ideally I should just cut out the running for a bit but I've already committed to my track club for indoor track season and taking 3 months off would basically bar me from any significant break-outs this upcoming track season which I planned to write an essay about.

I'm leaning more towards quitting this job for studying and then accepting a full-time job after the LSAT. I just feel like more dedicated time to LSAT studying is what I need right now, more than any amount of time I can do currently, regardless if I cut out running.

Edit: I'm also paying rent as my current job is in a different city than my hometown. If I moved back home while working part-time I wouldn't have a rent payment and would be saving money, especially if I got the full-time job in March as I would be living at home making a fair-chunk of change.

earldasquirel

New

Postby earldasquirel » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:18 pm

If you're not living pay check to pay check, I would say ideally if you can take a break or leave from the job (if not then quit) for a couple months, I would do so. The large amount of scholarship money saved from scoring 3-4 points higher on the lsat could be worth your yearly paycheck or even more. If not, then something has to give, and I would probably think about dropping commitment towards track.

taxman14

Silver

Postby taxman14 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:35 pm

earldasquirel wrote:If you're not living pay check to pay check, I would say ideally if you can take a break or leave from the job (if not then quit) for a couple months, I would do so. The large amount of scholarship money saved from scoring 3-4 points higher on the lsat could be worth your yearly paycheck or even more. If not, then something has to give, and I would probably think about dropping commitment towards track.

Second what was said here, especially given that it sounds like you aren't making that much money anyway, just move back in, get the part-time job, and study as much as you can for the LSAT. Depending on where you're scoring right now (let's say moving from 160 --> 170 or 170 --> 175), that difference could either get you into a school that you wouldn't be able to make it into otherwise or save you a ton of money depending on how good your GPA etc. is. Net present value of the better employment opps from a better school or the money/debt you could save by getting a scholarship are likely much higher than what you're making at your job. So quit, lower your living expenses by moving back home, and study as much as you can/use the money you saved to get as many PTs as possible.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:49 am

I found having a job while studying gave me needed structure with times dedicated to studying. I also studied without a job and I just ended up being a lazy bum.

trqdor

New

Postby trqdor » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:54 am

i quit my job two months before the Sept test to self-study. it's important to mention though that i firmly decided this would be the very last time i would take the test. i worked a paralegal job.

overall, i do not regret my decision. I was able to focus on the test, nutrition and exercise every day of the week without the distraction of work. I am, however, not a big spender, so I've been able to live off my savings. and now that the test is over and I'm waiting for the score to come out, I've had time to just work on my personal statements and supplement essays.

Since my plan is to enroll next fall (if my score is good enough to apply), I anticipate getting my applications submitted by mid-november at the very latest. afterwards, I will try to find work as a bartender since mixing drinks and giving people a good time is something i want to do during my down time. it's just a fun job before the grind of law school starts, i guess.

so overall, i think quitting to study has been good for me. If i do well on the test, i know that it was all worth it. conversely, if i do poorly, i will finally be able to bury the hatchet and be comfortable with not pursuing law school anymore, knowing that i left no stone unturned and gave it my best shot.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�