What are the chances really? Should I give up? 177 LSAT, 3.48 GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thelsater

New

What are the chances really? Should I give up? 177 LSAT, 3.48 GPA

Postby thelsater » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:45 pm

Thank you all for the help!
Last edited by thelsater on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

dietcoke1

Silver

Re: What are the chances really? Should I give up? 177 LSAT, 3.48 GPA

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:53 pm

http://mylsn.info/4ji01h/

you should be good for Colombia and NYU, decent shot at HLS

I think your story makes you a unique candidate if you can explain it in a compelling way. blanket the T14 and see what happens.

tinman

Bronze

Postby tinman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:04 pm

Assuming you are real and not a TLS troll: yes, your background is unusual. I'm a YLS alum, it felt like most people there were rich New Yorkers. Not too many survivors of civil wars.

You sound to me exactly the type of person the diversity statements are intended to give a voice. Fill one of those out for the top schools, and I think you'll find you'll do quite well. At YHS, you'll likely raise the LSAT 75% but lower the GPA 25%. Since you can explain why you belong in your diversity statement, I think you'll find that admissions people agree.

As an aside, I think an MBA could be a good deal. And I'm not sure law school is worth the price tag these days. I sometimes wish I had done an MBA instead of a law degree. At the time I applied to law school, I was finishing a PhD is science and thought a law degree would be more academic and therefore more comfortable for me. Now, that I work with business people daily, I know more about that part of the world and see the attraction of b school over law school.

vcap180

Bronze

Postby vcap180 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:08 pm

Id be shocked if OP didn't land one of HYS.

thelsater

New

Postby thelsater » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:28 pm

tinman wrote:Assuming you are real and not a TLS troll: yes, your background is unusual. I'm a YLS alum, it felt like most people there were rich New Yorkers. Not too many survivors of civil wars.

You sound to me exactly the type of person the diversity statements are intended to give a voice. Fill one of those out for the top schools, and I think you'll find you'll do quite well. At YHS, you'll likely raise the LSAT 75% but lower the GPA 25%. Since you can explain why you belong in your diversity statement, I think you'll find that admissions people agree.

As an aside, I think an MBA could be a good deal. And I'm not sure law school is worth the price tag these days. I sometimes wish I had done an MBA instead of a law degree. At the time I applied to law school, I was finishing a PhD is science and thought a law degree would be more academic and therefore more comfortable for me. Now, that I work with business people daily, I know more about that part of the world and see the attraction of b school over law school.
Last edited by thelsater on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:31 pm

I had a crazy background as well (but not like OP). Similar stats. OP I am at Duke/UVA on a huge scholarship. You will get a huge chunk of money from both. And to be clear OP, I had t6 options but I decided on the school I did because it was much cheaper for essentially the same outcome. The only real outcome differences in the mid t14 to the top are from YHS. YHS are clearly above the rest. But if you do well at Columbia, you are gonna have the same job outcomes if you do well at UPenn. As for Yale, well the gpa hurts. You have a great background and I can see 1 of YHS accepting you, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. You might not get any, you might get all 3. It depends on how well you tell your story and how much they are willing to overlook that GPA.

Otherwise, go to Duke/UVA/Penn for free and enjoy.

thelsater

New

Postby thelsater » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:43 pm

grades?? wrote:I had a crazy background as well (but not like OP). Similar stats. OP I am at Duke/UVA on a huge scholarship. You will get a huge chunk of money from both. And to be clear OP, I had t6 options but I decided on the school I did because it was much cheaper for essentially the same outcome. The only real outcome differences in the mid t14 to the top are from YHS. YHS are clearly above the rest. But if you do well at Columbia, you are gonna have the same job outcomes if you do well at UPenn. As for Yale, well the gpa hurts. You have a great background and I can see 1 of YHS accepting you, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. You might not get any, you might get all 3. It depends on how well you tell your story and how much they are willing to overlook that GPA.

Otherwise, go to Duke/UVA/Penn for free and enjoy.
Last edited by thelsater on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:44 pm

In addition to a diversity statement, you should also write a GPA addendum. Having to work two jobs to support your family because your father was disabled and unable to work is exactly the type of circumstance that warrants a GPA addendum.

GoGreen17

New

Postby GoGreen17 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:08 pm

I think the important question here is what do you want to do with a law degree? Why are you also considering an MBA?

If you want to go to law school why wouldn't you go if you didn't get into a top 6? First of all you probably will, but you mention committing financial suicide by going elsewhere, what's wrong with going somewhere out of HYS if you have heavy scholarships?

I guess long story short, you have great numbers. Don't psych yourself out of applying because you will get in to most places and if you really want (need) a legal degree, then I'm sure you'll be more than fine.

thelsater

New

Postby thelsater » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:09 pm

GoGreen17 wrote:I think the important question here is what do you want to do with a law degree? Why are you also considering an MBA?

If you want to go to law school why wouldn't you go if you didn't get into a top 6? First of all you probably will, but you mention committing financial suicide by going elsewhere, what's wrong with going somewhere out of HYS if you have heavy scholarships?

I guess long story short, you have great numbers. Don't psych yourself out of applying because you will get in to most places and if you really want (need) a legal degree, then I'm sure you'll be more than fine.
Last edited by thelsater on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:48 am

vcap180 wrote:Id be shocked if OP didn't land one of HYS.

I second this. Your background is unique (relative to most other US law school applicants) and speaks to your character in a big way. It will be a breath of fresh air to the ad comms who have probably already read 50 wealthy white kids' personal statements about their mission trip to where-ever.

tinman

Bronze

Postby tinman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:05 pm

thelsater wrote:
Thank you Tinman! I am, indeed, real. My fear is that the admission committee at YHS will not even read my personal and diversity statement. I am just afraid that my personal story, as unique as it may be, can't trump years of data ... And quite frankly, unless I get into a Top 6-8 law school, I will not take the risk to commit financial suicide, so I'd like to be prepared and understand what I am getting into.

As for the MBA route, sometimes, I find myself crazy enough to think about a JD/MBA... It would be very challenging but certainly rewarding, from a professional perspective as well. I work in government and I am surrounded every day by circumstances and situations where one is required to use skills from both worlds. It certainly has its appeal.

Thank you for your encouragement. It has certainly given me a new perspective. Hope Yale treated you well!

P.

I don't think an JD/MBA is a crazy. YLS and Yale School of Management offered a three year program to YLS people. Seemed like a sweet deal. Not sure whether they still offer that. Most places, it probably takes four years total, which is still not too bad.

Since you are 27, you may want to think about positioning yourself for need-based financial aid. I think you are about the age where parental income will not negatively affect your financial aid. Also, any money you have in retirement accounts, such as IRAs and 401Ks, may not count as assets. Yale even excludes any property you have from asset calculations. With some negotiation, I ended up getting nearly full financial add at YLS and SLS, which translates into something like 30K/year plus federal loans (and eligibility for loan repayment programs). If you get good financial aid, it makes full merit scholarships less appealing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�