Is There Any Advantage To Doing This With LORs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nova1017

New

Is There Any Advantage To Doing This With LORs?

Postby nova1017 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:24 am

A lot of law schools seem to like to see leadership experience as a soft factor (obviously a consideration very much below GPA and LSAT).

Does anyone think it would be beneficial to include a supplementary LOR from someone I advised/managed when I was in a leadership position?

I am including 1-2 academic LORs (I am six years out of undergrad that's the best I can do) and 2 professional LORs. Most schools cap at 3 or 4 but for the schools that cap at 4 or more, do you think it would be interesting/beneficial to see a letter from someone I led?

It's an idea I'm mulling but I'm not overly attached to. Looking for some opinions.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Is There Any Advantage To Doing This With LORs?

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:37 am

I don't think you should have an LOR from a subordinate. The first thing that's going to spring to the reader's mind is "Well, of course this person is going to say you're amazing. They're not going to shit talk their boss."

Unless you were literally the Supreme Generalissimo of the organization, maybe ask whoever your boss was to write a letter speaking to your leadership/management abilities.

nova1017

New

Postby nova1017 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:55 pm

I worked with the person I would ask a year ago. I'm no longer her boss and we are both working for different companies. My boss from that job did write a letter and she mentioned leadership skills but I thought it may be nice to get someone's perspective of me as a leader that I led, especially since there's no longer any conflict of interest.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:24 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�