Addendum for GPA and missing transcripts

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LionKillerBJJ

New

Addendum for GPA and missing transcripts

Postby LionKillerBJJ » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:44 pm

I have transcripts missing from my application due to a financial obligation with the bursars office. I'm explaining this in an addendum as well as explaining why my GPA may be averaged lower by LSAC than the school averaged it. Essentially I received a few Fs but retook those classes and passed.I'm asking that they look at the actual GPA average from each school on their own. Bad idea?

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Addendum for GPA and missing transcripts

Postby lymenheimer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:01 pm

LionKillerBJJ wrote:I have transcripts missing from my application due to a financial obligation with the bursars office. I'm explaining this in an addendum as well as explaining why my GPA may be averaged lower by LSAC than the school averaged it. Essentially I received a few Fs but retook those classes and passed.I'm asking that they look at the actual GPA average from each school on their own. Bad idea?

I don't know how inclined they will be to let you matriculate if you have outstanding debts with previous schools. Also, they can see your transcript and see that you received Fs. They know how lsac calculations work. You don't have to tell them. They won't look at the average from the school, because they don't report that number to usnwr.

LionKillerBJJ

New

Postby LionKillerBJJ » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:05 pm

I'll be adding that I'm working with the school and I'm enrolled in a payment plan, but the truth is the school won't release transcripts until the debt is clear.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:08 pm

LionKillerBJJ wrote:I'll be adding that I'm working with the school and I'm enrolled in a payment plan, but the truth is the school won't release transcripts until the debt is clear.

Which is fine. But as mentioned, they aren't likely to take you when you have outstanding debt with a school. And yes, it's a bad idea to explain that you retook classes; they can see that. A GPA addendum should be saved for something like a medical issue or a personal crisis that affected your GPA.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:16 pm

LionKillerBJJ wrote:I'll be adding that I'm working with the school and I'm enrolled in a payment plan, but the truth is the school won't release transcripts until the debt is clear.

Even so, i'm not sure this is "addendum" material. It might be more like "speak with the dean of admissions and explain your issues re: payment/transcripts". It's probably a good question for MS9 et al.

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:30 pm

I think this is a bigger issue of whether or not you should write an addendum. My inclination is that schools are going to reject you so long as you have outstanding transcripts. Of course, it doesn't hurt to try. You can always apply this cycle, and if you strike out, reapply once you've paid off your debt and can obtain the transcripts.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�