CHARACTER AND FITNESS ADVICE Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dsbj2013

New

CHARACTER AND FITNESS ADVICE

Post by Dsbj2013 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:41 pm

Hey TLS Community, I recently had charges against me for a 4th degree misdemeanor buglary in March. My girlfriend pressed these charges after an argument and ultimately she wrote a letter to the prosecutor and the case was placed on the stet docket. In January the charges will be dismissed. My question is, can I still apply to law school or do I not have a chance to get in? I have no other marks on my record and this was really just a stupid case and a stupid charge but ultimately I take responsibility. Is this going to affect my standing and also, should I wait until the case/charges are dropped in January to apply to law schools? I take my LSAT in December.

hangold

New

Re: CHARACTER AND FITNESS ADVICE

Post by hangold » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:21 pm

Applications vary on whether to disclose both charges and convictions or simply convictions. For apps, I would always err on the side of caution, especially considering that you will have to address any inconsistencies when dealing with the C&F portion of the bar. If necessary, you can always update your applications.

While having a misdemeanor is certainly not favorable, I don't think it would prevent you from being admitted. I have friends who were admitted to schools in the T6 with misdemeanors on their records.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”