Any Advantage Admissions-Wise by Going to a Law School Forum/Fair? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
big_willy_style_333

Bronze

Any Advantage Admissions-Wise by Going to a Law School Forum/Fair?

Post by big_willy_style_333 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:12 pm

I recently got an email about a law school forum that's going to be held soon in my city, and I am wondering whether it can help an applicant admissions-wise to meet with the admissions officers at those events. Would they ever remember talking to candidates at these things? I'm looking at the T14, with SLS being my first choice, for what that is worth, and I know that a fair number of these schools will be represented at this fair/forum.

cavalier1138

Re: Any Advantage Admissions-Wise by Going to a Law School Forum/Fair?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:36 pm

There are two potential advantages to these things:

1. Fee waivers.
2. Free food.

But no, no one will remember your name or face from these things. It's not a networking opportunity; it's a sales pitch.

Kopetz

Bronze

Post by Kopetz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:37 pm

Agreed with Cavalier above, especially for higher-ranked schools. At the forum I went to in DC, Yale sent two 1Ls to run their table and Harvard wasn't there at all.

tk421991

Bronze

Post by tk421991 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:48 pm

big_willy_style_333 wrote:I recently got an email about a law school forum that's going to be held soon in my city, and I am wondering whether it can help an applicant admissions-wise to meet with the admissions officers at those events. Would they ever remember talking to candidates at these things? I'm looking at the T14, with SLS being my first choice, for what that is worth, and I know that a fair number of these schools will be represented at this fair/forum.
If you do want to actually speak to the admissions people, I would email them in advance and confirm they're going to be there for you to talk to. Imagine how many people are going to be at this event and are going to want to talk to every single T14 rep. If they're not going to be there, then...

I'm going to the Boston one simply to go for the sake of going.

Vursz

Bronze

Post by Vursz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:54 pm

Kopetz wrote:Agreed with Cavalier above, especially for higher-ranked schools. At the forum I went to in DC, Yale sent two 1Ls to run their table and Harvard wasn't there at all.
I was almost certainly one of those 1Ls, haha. And everything in this thread is correct - no one is taking down info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AZ123

New

Post by AZ123 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:54 pm

I went to my university's law school fair, and there were several admissions deans there, but the majority of schools were represented by random alumni that lived near my university. I don't think that you'd gain any advantage in the admissions process by going, but it's a good opportunity to get a feel for different schools and ask questions. Plus they give out fee waivers like candy.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:47 pm

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kopetz

Bronze

Post by Kopetz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Vursz wrote:
Kopetz wrote:Agreed with Cavalier above, especially for higher-ranked schools. At the forum I went to in DC, Yale sent two 1Ls to run their table and Harvard wasn't there at all.
I was almost certainly one of those 1Ls, haha. And everything in this thread is correct - no one is taking down info.
For what it's worth, you were both very friendly and helpful.

4thand9

Bronze

Post by 4thand9 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:23 am

Sometimes can be helpful if admissions staff are actually there, especially if those staff members also do interviews, because then you might be more comfortable when it's someone you have already talked to before interviewing you. (Happened to me with two T-14 schools.)

Information-wise, it can help if a school has an application with slightly different prompts or requirements, because you can ask more questions about ways in which you can answer the question (they were candid in advising topics to stay away from or themes to pursue). Example: Boalt rep. talked about importance of doing 3 page PS instead of just generic 2 pager. Penn rep. talked about different optional prompts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”