Resume question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Resume question

Postby brinicolec » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:30 am

For work experience like waitressing or a sales associate for retail, do I really need to include bullet points saying what I did? Especially if I've had the same position multiple times at different places?

User avatar
sweets91

Silver
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:22 am

Re: Resume question

Postby sweets91 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:53 am

brinicolec wrote:For work experience like waitressing or a sales associate for retail, do I really need to include bullet points saying what I did? Especially if I've had the same position multiple times at different places?


Unnecessary in my opinion (just takes up space)

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Resume question

Postby brinicolec » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:43 am

sweets91 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:For work experience like waitressing or a sales associate for retail, do I really need to include bullet points saying what I did? Especially if I've had the same position multiple times at different places?


Unnecessary in my opinion (just takes up space)


So you think just the title and the dates of employment would be good?

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Resume question

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:48 am

brinicolec wrote:
sweets91 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:For work experience like waitressing or a sales associate for retail, do I really need to include bullet points saying what I did? Especially if I've had the same position multiple times at different places?


Unnecessary in my opinion (just takes up space)


So you think just the title and the dates of employment would be good?


Yes.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Resume question

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:49 am

agreed...I've seen plenty of effective resumes set up like that

zeglo

Silver
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Resume question

Postby zeglo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:06 am

.
Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Resume question

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:20 am

zeglo wrote:I think it's fine as long as you are consistent and do describe the it in at least one of the sections. I mean it does have redeeming skills like customer service, organization, etc.

Maybe if most of your experience is being a server etc. If you have other, more pertinent work experience that you will be describing with bullet points, I don't think you need to do so with the serving etc jobs. Depends on space on your resume and role those jobs play in your past.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Resume question

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:40 am

I think it unnecessarily takes up space. Just write your title and dates worked.

User avatar
ggocat

Gold
Posts: 1824
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Resume question

Postby ggocat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:48 pm

No.

User avatar
lula43

Bronze
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Re: Resume question

Postby lula43 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
zeglo wrote:I think it's fine as long as you are consistent and do describe the it in at least one of the sections. I mean it does have redeeming skills like customer service, organization, etc.

Maybe if most of your experience is being a server etc. If you have other, more pertinent work experience that you will be describing with bullet points, I don't think you need to do so with the serving etc jobs. Depends on space on your resume and role those jobs play in your past.


Further, if your resume is already two pages, is it necessary to include these jobs at all?

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Resume question

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:15 am

lula43 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
zeglo wrote:I think it's fine as long as you are consistent and do describe the it in at least one of the sections. I mean it does have redeeming skills like customer service, organization, etc.

Maybe if most of your experience is being a server etc. If you have other, more pertinent work experience that you will be describing with bullet points, I don't think you need to do so with the serving etc jobs. Depends on space on your resume and role those jobs play in your past.


Further, if your resume is already two pages, is it necessary to include these jobs at all?


Some do want every single job IIRC.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Resume question

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:42 am

34iplaw wrote:
lula43 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
zeglo wrote:I think it's fine as long as you are consistent and do describe the it in at least one of the sections. I mean it does have redeeming skills like customer service, organization, etc.

Maybe if most of your experience is being a server etc. If you have other, more pertinent work experience that you will be describing with bullet points, I don't think you need to do so with the serving etc jobs. Depends on space on your resume and role those jobs play in your past.


Further, if your resume is already two pages, is it necessary to include these jobs at all?


Some do want every single job IIRC.


There's a separate work history section for that. Resumes should be one page and highlight your most relevant experience.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Resume question

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:59 am

It's fine to have a resume for applying to law schools that's more than one page. It's not the same document as a work resume. The exception being if the school gives you a page limit, of course. It's also not generally necessary to go over a page, but again, you can.

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Resume question

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:50 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
lula43 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
zeglo wrote:I think it's fine as long as you are consistent and do describe the it in at least one of the sections. I mean it does have redeeming skills like customer service, organization, etc.

Maybe if most of your experience is being a server etc. If you have other, more pertinent work experience that you will be describing with bullet points, I don't think you need to do so with the serving etc jobs. Depends on space on your resume and role those jobs play in your past.


Further, if your resume is already two pages, is it necessary to include these jobs at all?


Some do want every single job IIRC.


There's a separate work history section for that. Resumes should be one page and highlight your most relevant experience.


Ah - understood. Appreciated. I mean, I understand that for normal resumes, but I wasn't sure that it was different for the ones submitted to law school.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests