Resume question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brinicolec

Gold

Resume question

Postby brinicolec » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:30 am

For work experience like waitressing or a sales associate for retail, do I really need to include bullet points saying what I did? Especially if I've had the same position multiple times at different places?

sweets91

Silver

Re: Resume question

Postby sweets91 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:53 am

brinicolec wrote:For work experience like waitressing or a sales associate for retail, do I really need to include bullet points saying what I did? Especially if I've had the same position multiple times at different places?

Unnecessary in my opinion (just takes up space)

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:43 am

sweets91 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:For work experience like waitressing or a sales associate for retail, do I really need to include bullet points saying what I did? Especially if I've had the same position multiple times at different places?

So you think just the title and the dates of employment would be good?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:48 am

brinicolec wrote:
sweets91 wrote:

So you think just the title and the dates of employment would be good?

Yes.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:49 am

agreed...I've seen plenty of effective resumes set up like that

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:06 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:20 am

zeglo wrote:I think it's fine as long as you are consistent and do describe the it in at least one of the sections. I mean it does have redeeming skills like customer service, organization, etc.

Maybe if most of your experience is being a server etc. If you have other, more pertinent work experience that you will be describing with bullet points, I don't think you need to do so with the serving etc jobs. Depends on space on your resume and role those jobs play in your past.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:40 am

I think it unnecessarily takes up space. Just write your title and dates worked.

ggocat

Gold

Postby ggocat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:48 pm

No.

lula43

Bronze

Postby lula43 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
zeglo wrote:I think it's fine as long as you are consistent and do describe the it in at least one of the sections. I mean it does have redeeming skills like customer service, organization, etc.

Maybe if most of your experience is being a server etc. If you have other, more pertinent work experience that you will be describing with bullet points, I don't think you need to do so with the serving etc jobs. Depends on space on your resume and role those jobs play in your past.

Further, if your resume is already two pages, is it necessary to include these jobs at all?

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:15 am

lula43 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Further, if your resume is already two pages, is it necessary to include these jobs at all?

Some do want every single job IIRC.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:42 am

34iplaw wrote:
lula43 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

There's a separate work history section for that. Resumes should be one page and highlight your most relevant experience.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:59 am

It's fine to have a resume for applying to law schools that's more than one page. It's not the same document as a work resume. The exception being if the school gives you a page limit, of course. It's also not generally necessary to go over a page, but again, you can.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:50 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
lula43 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

There's a separate work history section for that. Resumes should be one page and highlight your most relevant experience.

Ah - understood. Appreciated. I mean, I understand that for normal resumes, but I wasn't sure that it was different for the ones submitted to law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�