What schools need "Why X?" essays? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
circle.the.wagons

Bronze

What schools need "Why X?" essays?

Post by circle.the.wagons » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:15 pm

I checked the websites of the schools that I'm applying to, as well as the stickies here, and didn't see anything specifying that I will need a "Why X" essay, but I'm afraid I'm missing something. If anyone could comment what schools require this essay, I think that could be a good resource for everyone. I'm applying to Fordham, GWU, BC, Rutgers-N, Cardozo, so that's obviously where I'm primarily interested, but no reason why we can't get a list for future reference. Thanks.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: What schools need "Why X?" essays?

Post by lymenheimer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:25 pm

If you open the applications for each school, it is fairly apparent which documents are required.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:32 pm

As far as I know, no school requires that essay. But it's generally recommended if you're really interested in a school (or for Michigan if you're a really strong candidate).

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:18 pm

lymenheimer wrote:If you open the applications for each school, it is fairly apparent which documents are required.
I'm seeing a lot of "optional statement" fields, but I'm not sure if that is it...

Edit- the lsac website seems to be freaking out now so I can't check for the time being anyway.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:16 am

circle.the.wagons wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:If you open the applications for each school, it is fairly apparent which documents are required.
I'm seeing a lot of "optional statement" fields, but I'm not sure if that is it...

Edit- the lsac website seems to be freaking out now so I can't check for the time being anyway.
No school requires a Why X although there's one school's app (it's slipping my mind which) that I came across so far that basically asks why you're interested in attending in their application (not as a supplemental essay). I think there's some schools that people say tend to prefer seeing a Why X, although I haven't been able to find a list of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:23 am

brinicolec wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:

No school requires a Why X although there's one school's app (it's slipping my mind which) that I came across so far that basically asks why you're interested in attending in their application (not as a supplemental essay). I think there's some schools that people say tend to prefer seeing a Why X, although I haven't been able to find a list of them.
The school is Cornell.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:43 am

KMart wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:

The school is Cornell.
That's what I thought but I didn't want to tell them and be wrong. Thanks!

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:46 pm

Ahh thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Edit- random question: Should I list my total months of full time employment as of now or as of when I begin school? Thanks.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:28 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:Ahh thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Edit- random question: Should I list my total months of full time employment as of now or as of when I begin school? Thanks.
As of now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”