Can I use an LOR that is from 2011?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Can I use an LOR that is from 2011?

Postby sethnoorzad » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:55 am

Here is my situation. I was homeschooled for high school, and was taking classes at community college. When I started college at UCSB, I was transferring as an upperclassmen as well as graduating from high school at the same time. My last semester of SB Community College I got waitlisted to Yale undergrad. An professor from a college honors English class I was taking at SBCC my last semester before UCSB wrote a glowing letter of recommendation for me.

I am wondering if it is a good idea to get in contact with her and ask her to amend the letter so it's not for Yale undergrad but for law school. It was originally written in 2011 but it talks about specifics about my paper grades and academic performance. It's such a great letter that I thought it would be good, but the bad thing is that it is dated. It technically was written for me while I was in high school. But I was already going to SB Community College full time as well and the letter addressed my performance in a college class.

I have not had any contact with this prof for five years so she does not know me any more. That's the tough part. I don't want to impose or annoy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”