admissions consultant for non-standard applicant?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gabriel_is_Satan

Bronze

admissions consultant for non-standard applicant?

Postby Gabriel_is_Satan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:21 am

u
Last edited by Gabriel_is_Satan on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OLitch

Bronze

Re: admissions consultant for non-standard applicant?

Postby OLitch » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:12 am

Do not pay for an admissions consultant. You can find all the help you need by asking friends and using people on TLS.

Have your friends review your essays for errors or to make suggestions. Seek out people who will be honest.

Find others on TLS who have a similar background and ask for advice.

nova1017

New

Re: admissions consultant for non-standard applicant?

Postby nova1017 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:16 am

Hey there,

I reached out to MS9 Consulting yesterday and had a reply by last night. I've heard nothing but good things about them. There's actually a lot of info on TLS about them and a whole thread where you can ask Mike MS9 questions and he will answer (general questions- he doesn't answer specifics out of deference to clients).

I am also a non-standard applicant, which is why I am using a consultant. Most of the people on this site will tell you that you don't need one or that it's a waste of money. I think a consultant is useful for packaging. I know how to write (won awards for my writing) and I've always been praised for my resume etc.

I think a consultant is useful in listening to your history, accomplishments and helping you package them to the admissions committees so that you have the best chance of being successful. Obviously not everyone will need this. As someone who is significantly older than the average applicant, and as someone who has a unique history, I think using a consultant will help me choose what to highlight and what they won't care as much about.

So while I agree that consultants aren't necessary, I don't think it's a bad idea given the financial investment that law school is. If you're spending any portion of 200K to go to law school, why not spend an extra 2-3K (if you can afford it) to make sure you'll get into the best schools you can. Down the line it will pay off when you get your dream job.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�