How important is volunteering experience for law school applications? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tejas511@yahoo.com

New

How important is volunteering experience for law school applications?

Post by tejas511@yahoo.com » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:18 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Tejas. I created this account in order for me to conveniently ask questions related to law school. I have no volunteer experience at all. Is it important that I get some experience prior to applying? I have yet to take the LSAT either. I was going to take it in September but have now decided to take it in December instead. I am trying to get into a law school hopefully by next September. Thank you.

PDX4343

Silver

Re: How important is volunteering experience for law school applications?

Post by PDX4343 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:03 am

tejas511@yahoo.com wrote:Hello everyone. My name is Tejas. I created this account in order for me to conveniently ask questions related to law school. I have no volunteer experience at all. Is it important that I get some experience prior to applying? I have yet to take the LSAT either. I was going to take it in September but have now decided to take it in December instead. I am trying to get into a law school hopefully by next September. Thank you.
Waiting to take the LSAT until December is going to make your applications on the later side for this cycle. So you might want to end up waiting until the next cycle to apply for a better shot at scholarship money and acceptances at your target schools. You can always try this cycle, but just be prepared for that possibility.

As far as volunteer work goes, it's definitely not as important as your raw LSAT / GPA numbers. That being said, having a good combination of softs can be a difference-maker in getting into schools that you're a borderline candidate at. From my understanding, law schools mostly want to see that you've done things outside of the classroom and that you've excelled in them. That can come from work, extra-curriculars, or volunteering, I don't think any one is more important than the other though.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:18 am

Some admissions committees read these boards.

You might consider making an account with a username that doesn't include your name and/or email address, for anonymity.

I disagree with the above poster that work experience and volunteering are viewed equally. A lack of volunteer work is unlikely to make any meaningful difference if your application cycle.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:38 am

I agree that volunteer work is unlikely to affect your chances that much. Better to focus on acing the LSAT (and raising/maintaining your GPA if you're in the position to do so).

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:40 pm

it's not necessary, but it won't hurt.

btw, you should PM a mod to get your username changed. having it as your email kind of outs you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”