Application Strategy

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PDX4343

Silver

Application Strategy

Postby PDX4343 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:17 pm

I was hoping to get some feedback on my application strategy.

I'm a pretty heavy splitter at 173 / 3.05. I'm interested in ideally doing work for the federal government after law school, but I know that's not a guarantee, so I'd also be open to working on the state or local level, or doing some form of public interest.

Essentially, I'm not gunning for big law, and my hope is to find qualifying LRAP employment that will forgive my loans after 10 years. However, if I was unable to find such employment, I would be open to working in big law as a means of paying off my debt.

I'm fairly flexible geographically. Obviously, D.C. would be great if I was able to get a BigFed job, but I'm open to most places, especially the Pacific Northwest where I live now and have some work ties. I should add here that I have a SO who will be following me to law school, and living in a larger city would be much easier for her employment search.

These are the schools I'm applying to:
- UVA (already accepted)
- Duke
- GULC
- Penn
- Michigan
- UCLA
- Northwestern
- WUSTL
- UW
- Lewis and Clark
- Boston College

I'm wondering if I should be applying to more schools, and if you were in my shoes, would you target regional schools or the T14? I'm really interested in Penn, and was considering applying ED, due to a combination of it being in a large city, having great employment numbers, and my possibility of gaining acceptance. If I'm planning on pursuing LRAP qualifying employment, is taking out close to the full COA at any of these schools, especially Penn, a terrible idea?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

dietcoke1

Silver

Re: Application Strategy

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Just curious, why isn't Harvard or Stanford on this list?

While your chances of admissions may not be great, they have two of the best LRAP programs in the country. You never know what could happen, especially considering Harvard may be trying to get their median back to 173. Also, a JD from any one of those two would theoretically open doors in any city you wished to practice.

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:32 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:Just curious, why isn't Harvard or Stanford on this list?

While your chances of admissions may not be great, they have two of the best LRAP programs in the country. You never know what could happen, especially considering Harvard may be trying to get their median back to 173. Also, a JD from any one of those two would theoretically open doors in any city you wished to practice.

I would love to attend either of those schools, but I don't think they're realistic options. they do have great LRAP programs, but the application fees are getting a little pricey for me already.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:15 pm

Why not Berkeley?

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:29 pm

RamTitan wrote:Why not Berkeley?

Yeah I was thinking about Berkeley. I just don't think I've ever seen someone with a GPA as low as mine get in. Maybe I'll apply once I take care of some of these other application fees.

vcap180

Bronze

Postby vcap180 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:33 pm

PDX4343 wrote:

Yeah I was thinking about Berkeley. I just don't think I've ever seen someone with a GPA as low as mine get in. Maybe I'll apply once I take care of some of these other application fees.

with that 173, you certainly should be receiving plenty of fee waivers?

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:37 pm

vcap180 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:

I've gotten a good amount, and I've already applied to all of the places that gave me waivers. I just don't have the means to pay multiple $100+ application fees at once right now.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:32 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:

I've gotten a good amount, and I've already applied to all of the places that gave me waivers. I just don't have the means to pay multiple $100+ application fees at once right now.

I'd send out some e-mails and request them; others will know more about this (since I have yet to do it), but apparently schools toss out waivers like candy

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've actually done that already though. I know Berkeley is notorious for not giving out fee waivers as well, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try. Appreciate the help.

YoungSimba

New

Postby YoungSimba » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:12 am

If you have the means apply to Harvard and Stanford. You never know unless you try. If you're considering PI I would also apply to NYU for one of the Root scholarships. If you want to save money I would drop BC. They don't seem incredibly generous with aid and with your outstanding LSAT they may wait list you knowing you'll have better options.

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:50 am

YoungSimba wrote:If you have the means apply to Harvard and Stanford. You never know unless you try. If you're considering PI I would also apply to NYU for one of the Root scholarships. If you want to save money I would drop BC. They don't seem incredibly generous with aid and with your outstanding LSAT they may wait list you knowing you'll have better options.

Thanks for the advice. i think you're right, BC can probably go. I also want to apply to NYU and maybe Harvard / Stanford a little late in the cycle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�