911 Dispatcher applying for T14 LS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rescue911

New

911 Dispatcher applying for T14 LS

Postby Rescue911 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:17 am

so yeah, ive been working as a 911 dispatcher/supervisor in a very violent area for the last few years (i'm 31). have always wanted to go to LS, but now feel more comfortable financially since my intention was always to do public interest law as opposed to something that'd allow me to pay down the massive debts more quickly.

anyway, I realize that this line of work is seen as less prestigious than most of the people I will be applying against who also have years of work experience, so what sorts of things should I highlight? Communications ability? composure/calmness? experience w/justice system albeit kinda indirectly? working there has only strengthened my resolve to become a lawyer, because I have seen so many people get fucked by the law unjustly.

I just worry that adcomms will see my job and view it as a negative in comparison to people of similar ages who have worked for like, McKinsey or some such.

3.3 LSAC GPA/169 LSAT, looking at UVA/UMich/GULC/Duke (lol i know)

would Northwestern be an option given that they like work experience or is my work experience probably insufficient when combined w/my numbers?

Oh and while I am here, my LSAT history is: June 11: 169 June 13: cancel October 13: cancel----will all that require an addendum or should i just let the 169 stand on its own?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: 911 Dispatcher applying for T14 LS

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:31 am

It will absolutely not be held against you for admissions, as numbers carry the greatest weight by far, and past the numbers, having work experience of whatever kind is generally a positive - especially a job that requires a lot of quick thinking under stress. In terms of employers once you're in law schoo, it will depend a little on what you want to do. I think if you want to go into criminal law no one will raise an eyebrow at your background at all. If you want to do corporate M&A you will have to explain the career change a little more clearly. But while some specific jobs (maybe McKinsey? dunno) are a plus for biglaw employers, I don't think something like this will hurt you - there are a lot of career-changers in law, from all kinds of careers - not all from high-flying consulting or the like. As long as you meet the other qualifications (that is, you have the grades and school), and can give a good answer to "why law?", you'll be fine (I would imagine you have good stories for interviewing, too).

I do think Northwestern would be a good choice.

Rescue911

New

Postby Rescue911 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:38 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It will absolutely not be held against you for admissions, as numbers carry the greatest weight by far, and past the numbers, having work experience of whatever kind is generally a positive - especially a job that requires a lot of quick thinking under stress. In terms of employers once you're in law schoo, it will depend a little on what you want to do. I think if you want to go into criminal law no one will raise an eyebrow at your background at all. If you want to do corporate M&A you will have to explain the career change a little more clearly. But while some specific jobs (maybe McKinsey? dunno) are a plus for biglaw employers, I don't think something like this will hurt you - there are a lot of career-changers in law, from all kinds of careers - not all from high-flying consulting or the like. As long as you meet the other qualifications (that is, you have the grades and school), and can give a good answer to "why law?", you'll be fine (I would imagine you have good stories for interviewing, too).

I do think Northwestern would be a good choice.

thanks a ton, really hadn't been considering them because when I'd read "work experience" i took it as..."better" work experience than my own. And yeah not looking to do BigLaw etc., so am not overly concerned as far as that aspect goes. Have always just felt a bit of an inferiority complex when it came to thinking about applying and how to explain my job.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:28 am

You took the LSAT in June '11? I thought LSAT scores were good for five years?

As for your work experience, I see your work as a 911 dispatcher as being positive/a plus factor in your application. Don't worry about it, I actually think it's pretty cool.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:40 am

I actually see this as a positive. I think you can easily talk about how you've seen one side of the justice system and it made you want to get involved with the other side of it. Also, you see these things with no control or ability to change them. Being a lawyer would afford you the opportunity to help. Very easy spin in an interview (especially since it seems true for you).

Good luck!

Rescue911

New

Postby Rescue911 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:57 am

HYPSM wrote:You took the LSAT in June '11? I thought LSAT scores were good for five years?

As for your work experience, I see your work as a 911 dispatcher as being positive/a plus factor in your application. Don't worry about it, I actually think it's pretty cool.

5 application cycles, apparently. Was all set to apply last year thinking I had to, then looked at my score report and my (now disappeared) June 2010 score was still on there, which gave me an extra year to try and make enough money to offset the debt.

Rescue911

New

Postby Rescue911 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:59 am

ashrice13 wrote:I actually see this as a positive. I think you can easily talk about how you've seen one side of the justice system and it made you want to get involved with the other side of it. Also, you see these things with no control or ability to change them. Being a lawyer would afford you the opportunity to help. Very easy spin in an interview (especially since it seems true for you).

Good luck!

Thanks, this line "you see these things with no control or ability to change them" is actually a major impetus in my decision.

oshberg28

Bronze

Postby oshberg28 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Rescue911 wrote:
HYPSM wrote:You took the LSAT in June '11? I thought LSAT scores were good for five years?

5 application cycles, apparently. Was all set to apply last year thinking I had to, then looked at my score report and my (now disappeared) June 2010 score was still on there, which gave me an extra year to try and make enough money to offset the debt.

You might want to double check that. I took the LSAT in June 2010 and was nearly 100% certain that the last cycle I could apply for was the 2015/2016 year (which I did - I'm currently a 2L). UChicago's website, for instance, states that the application must be received within 5 years of your test date. So you would have had to apply by June 2016 for UChicago.

Here's the language from Columbia:

An LSAT score is considered valid by the Admissions Committee for no longer than five years. Candidates applying for admission to the 2017 entering class as regular applicants may submit LSAT scores earned on or after the June 2012 administration, but no later than the December 2016 administration.

LawschoolHopeful2k16

New

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:35 pm

Even if your work isn't as glamorous as other types of work, and even if it didn't teach skills that are as scholarly as other jobs, not only did it teach you other, also important skills, it's 10 years of experience. That dwarves that of most other applicants.

So maybe schools will give an edge to the person who worked at McKinsey for multiple years, but I reckon that the sheer volume of time you've spent in the workforce gives you an advantage over most of the applicants who only have a few years of work experience, regardless of their careers

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�