Lukewarm LOR request response

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LandMermaid

Bronze

Re: Lukewarm LOR request response

Postby LandMermaid » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:03 pm

tskela wrote:So just an update: I contacted 5 other professors. 1 replied saying no because she's retired. 4 pending responses, all of which sent this morning or early afternoon.

Y'all thought I was exaggerating about not having better options :wink:

Leaning towards not having a second academic LOR if the first professor's is gonna be like totally laughable. I wish I knew what "brief" meant. Any advice on how to move forward? My only goal is the LORs not hurting so I don't underperform my numbers. I'm beyond the point of wanting them to be ~glowing.

Also dealing with this has me slowly losing motivation to study for the September LSAT which is probably the opposite of what should be happening ugh

I noticed over the course of the thread that you seem to be worried about asking certain professors and not having a writing sample to give them. If you have any potential options where this is your only hang-up I'd recommend asking them too. I didn't give a writing sample to either of my recommenders and they never asked for it, and they still wrote very good letters. One I was close to personally, but the other just worked off of my resume, PS, and a little statement I wrote for her about why I wanted to go to law school and why I thought I would be successful. That one actually ended up being better because she basically wrote exactly what I wanted her to because I gave her specific information that she stuck to.

tskela

Bronze

Postby tskela » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:06 pm

LandMermaid wrote:
tskela wrote:So just an update: I contacted 5 other professors. 1 replied saying no because she's retired. 4 pending responses, all of which sent this morning or early afternoon.

Leaning towards not having a second academic LOR if the first professor's is gonna be like totally laughable. I wish I knew what "brief" meant. Any advice on how to move forward? My only goal is the LORs not hurting so I don't underperform my numbers. I'm beyond the point of wanting them to be ~glowing.

Also dealing with this has me slowly losing motivation to study for the September LSAT which is probably the opposite of what should be happening ugh

I noticed over the course of the thread that you seem to be worried about asking certain professors and not having a writing sample to give them. If you have any potential options where this is your only hang-up I'd recommend asking them too. I didn't give a writing sample to either of my recommenders and they never asked for it, and they still wrote very good letters. One I was close to personally, but the other just worked off of my resume, PS, and a little statement I wrote for her about why I wanted to go to law school and why I thought I would be successful. That one actually ended up being better because she basically wrote exactly what I wanted her to because I gave her specific information that she stuck to.

I did suck it up and ask several professors even if I wouldn't be able to provide writing samples from their classes. I feel like the 5 requests I've sent out plus my 2 original choices have exhausted all marginally realistic options. :(

LandMermaid

Bronze

Postby LandMermaid » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:15 pm

tskela wrote:
LandMermaid wrote:

I did suck it up and ask several professors even if I wouldn't be able to provide writing samples from their classes. I feel like the 5 requests I've sent out plus my 2 original choices have exhausted all marginally realistic options. :(

Ah, good luck then!! Hopefully between the seven a couple of good ones will bite.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:10 am

4 pending responses doesn't mean you don't have better options - they just haven't responded yet. Relax and give them a little more time to answer.

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:11 am

chill x100000

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:00 am

Also realize that LORs generally don't make a difference one way or another. If you have good numbers, generic LORs aren't going to hurt you.

tskela

Bronze

Postby tskela » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:4 pending responses doesn't mean you don't have better options - they just haven't responded yet. Relax and give them a little more time to answer.
landshoes wrote:chill x100000
LandMermaid wrote:
Ah, good luck then!! Hopefully between the seven a couple of good ones will bite.

So I did get a much more enthusiastic response back today from another professor. Crisis averted

as a sidenote, i clearly need to get my anxiety under control :lol:

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:04 pm

We are all so proud of you. Good luck on your LSAT now that you don't have to worry about this. Go kill it.

tskela

Bronze

Postby tskela » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:14 pm

poptart123 wrote:We are all so proud of you. Good luck on your LSAT now that you don't have to worry about this. Go kill it.

Thank you!! Feels like a giant weight's been lifted

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:43 pm

tskela wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:4 pending responses doesn't mean you don't have better options - they just haven't responded yet. Relax and give them a little more time to answer.
landshoes wrote:chill x100000
LandMermaid wrote:

So I did get a much more enthusiastic response back today from another professor. Crisis averted

as a sidenote, i clearly need to get my anxiety under control :lol:

Fantastic! Great job! Keep this in mind as you go about the process, law school, and finding/securing employment post-LS -- Action trumps worrying. Get into action, and you can solve your own "problems" :-). Congrats pop!

xnsch

Bronze

Postby xnsch » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:37 pm

xnsch wrote:
tskela wrote:removed

Do you at least know a TA or something like that who could write you a letter? LoRs as it is don't really do much to overtly help you in the admissions game and are, as I understand, mostly a neutral factor. But I think if you got a letter that basically said "I really don't remember this guy but my gradebook says he did well in the class" that's going to raise a red flag in admissions and, instead of doing nothing to help you, will very likely hurt you. I'd try to find a TA or some professor that (despite maybe not having prior work from him) remembers you or something

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�