Should I include an addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawschoolHopeful2k16

New

Should I include an addendum?

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Last edited by LawschoolHopeful2k16 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Should I include an addendum?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:09 am

I'd actually only mention the ADD, because explaining that you figured out how to do college is redundant. They can already see that from the GPA trend. A medical issue, however, is worth bringing up.

LawschoolHopeful2k16

New

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:03 pm

Post Removed.
Last edited by LawschoolHopeful2k16 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:33 pm

LawschoolHopeful2k16 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'd actually only mention the ADD, because explaining that you figured out how to do college is redundant. They can already see that from the GPA trend. A medical issue, however, is worth bringing up.

Are you sure?

I think most adcomms would look slightly favorably upon the fact that I've got it under control. However, I think that there's also a small chance that it could solidly hurt me (for the reasons I mentioned above).

So I'd have to take into account that even though there's a good chance explaining my ADD would help a little, there's also a small chance it would hurt a lot.

Maybe I should only talk about it at reach schools?

And thanks for the perspective that if I'm going to write about it, I need to explain why because they can already see the GPA trend itself.

Adcomms care about one thing when it comes to your GPA: the actual number. That's it. They do not care that you learned how to not drink too much after two years of partying. They do not care that you figured out that you actually had to study for class. Everyone figures that out. There is nothing remarkable about it.

However, one thing they do care about is that there was a diagnosed medical issue that directly affected your ability to perform well in school until it was treated. Your fears about an adcomm faulting you for being diagnosed with ADD and getting accommodations for the LSAT are misplaced. They are the last people who will hold that against you, since they are legally required to not do so. And again, they only really care about the number.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�