Help, please. U.S. Citizen Foreign UG Degree, but... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Help, please. U.S. Citizen Foreign UG Degree, but...

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:58 pm

I've looked over tons of posts asking, "must i submit all transcripts from schools I transferred from or attended even with large gaps etc etc." The overwhelming answer is yes, or risk the consequences, which are ultimately not worth it. Clear and obvious.

Unfortunately, though my situation is similar in some regards it's significantly different on a fundamental level and I have yet to come across any post that asks/answers the question of what to do in situations when an entirely new degree is pursued in a foreign country. I completely withdrew (dropped out I guess?) for medical reasons and therefore received non-punitive W's on my transcripts. Not asking about LSDAS GPA calculation here btw. I reapplied to university as a freshman, not a transfer, pursuing a bachelor degree in South Korea (I am a Korean-American U.S. Citizen).

My question is, am I still obligated to submit transcripts to LSAC from the previous university or can I simply submit the transcript containing the credits I obtained abroad, which are the only credits that contribute to the degree? (again, no credits transferred in). Either way my converted GPA shouldn't be affected more than +/-0.01, but there are some advantages (or so I hear) from having a foreign transcript (non-accredited but accepted by U.S. graduate/professional schools in my case). I may gain an advantage with the average-superior evaluation label since my UG GPA is 3.08 from the number 1 private school in the nation. My first LSAT was a 170 on Feb '16 taken in Seoul, and I plan to take it again in 3 weeks back home. If I am understanding any of what I was able to find on TLS, this distinction may potentially elevate me from splitter status, which greatly increases my chances at a broader range of schools and $$$.

I have little hope that this will be answered considering I've done a lot of digging and found...nothing, but would really REALLY appreciate any information. Especially with the Sep '16 coming up, I could use the reassurance.

EDIT: I am realizing after more digging that this was moot to begin with. Haven't given up yet, but will contact LSAC directly as people have advised. So in addition, and I may border on being greedy here, I would like to ask the TSL community their thoughts on what realistic options I have with my current numbers 3.08 GPA and 170 LSAT in my particular case. Does my major(STEM/Literature double) now have some weight? Are my assumptions about a more heavily weighted LSAT correct? Or should I just rely on all the other splitter data that's already out there for those stats? Or am I piss in the wind with no clear path? This information would drastically improve my ability to submit an optimal application. Help, please T-T.

Thanks in advance :D
Last edited by pleasesendhelp on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Re: Help, please. U.S. Citizen Foreign UG Degree, but...

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:28 pm

I'm not sure if I've just found the answer to my own question, but according to the user Hand, 60 or more credits received from any degree granting institution in the U.S. will be calculated and used by LSAC to formulate your LSDAS GPA regardless of any given circumstance.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... a#p8396275

I am well below that number so I know that even if I reported the grades it wouldn't get calculated. Still, the question of whether or not I am required to report them remains to be answered. The post is also from 2 years ago, so it may or may not still hold true...

So, no. I have not answered my own question :roll:

KatCoco

New

Post by KatCoco » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:54 pm

I think you should just call LSAC and ask.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:36 am

People regularly have to provide transcripts for college courses they took as high school students, before they start their BA. I don't know why getting your degree abroad would mean you don't have to provide transcripts for your first attempt at the degree. But I agree that LSAC will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”