Potential Extreme Splitter- A few questions RE: early app holds, and GPA/medical addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jimmy_t

New

Potential Extreme Splitter- A few questions RE: early app holds, and GPA/medical addendum

Post by jimmy_t » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi guys, new around here. just committed fully to the idea of law school this year.

I have a few questions, all over the place, but if anyone can help with a couple or even one I'd be super appreciative.

I test in December. Obviously nothing is for sure until I get my scores in January, but I am prep testing far above the 75% for my desired schools, and don't plan on stopping. However, I have a subpar GPA, far below the 25% for my desired regional schools. I have safeties picked out of course.

Where it gets tricky is that I battled a chronic medical condition throughout college. It started from a traumatic beating in high school, and it just spiraled into there. I spent years in treatment, and it lasted throughout all of college. Thankfully, I am in a "remission" of sorts and have an all clear from both of my doctors for graduate school. They even prepared detailed statements confirming the extent of my treatment and condition without going into too much detail. Obviously, a GPA addendum will be called for. I had to withdraw from a couple semesters even. I also have two years of full time work experience as a paralegal this October. All of that being said, without boring you with the details, that's where I'm at.

My questions:

1. Should I submit my applications early, and on a "hold"? I never even knew that was a possibility until reading it on here. If I do submit early, is there any true advantage without having a killer LSAT score of putting the app in at that point? Would it be better to do it in January when I can truly pack a punch with my score?

2. Is there anyway submitting my doctors to back up my GPA addendum letters detailing what I went through,, would hurt me?

3. There were many legal issues to my incident, and I had a first-hand glance of the legal system. If I choose to apply early, I'm going to have to move quickly. Do I mention how much respect I gained from the legal system from the jury trials, victim assistance, and the idea of being "made whole" by the justice system. Due to all of my time dealing with the fallout of the incident, would it be wise to even touch the ordeal? Or would it be safer to not make any mention of anything related to the incident outside of the GPA addendum and doctors recommendations?

Thanks for any help!

RamTitan

Silver

Re: Potential Extreme Splitter- A few questions RE: early app holds, and GPA/medical addendum

Post by RamTitan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:56 pm

1. I think that's risky, as your application doesn't mean much without an official LSAT score; it might be better to be ready to apply the instant you get your score back.

2. I don't see what harm the letters would do, but obviously I don't know much about your situation.

3. That might make for an interesting personal statement.

Lexaholik

Bronze

Re: Potential Extreme Splitter- A few questions RE: early app holds, and GPA/medical addendum

Post by Lexaholik » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:39 pm

jimmy_t wrote:1. Should I submit my applications early, and on a "hold"? I never even knew that was a possibility until reading it on here. If I do submit early, is there any true advantage without having a killer LSAT score of putting the app in at that point? Would it be better to do it in January when I can truly pack a punch with my score?
I don't think it really matters. You might get a small advantage to applying early without a big LSAT but you also might not get any benefit. Some schools wait until they know how strong the applicant pool is before deciding on splitters. Do you have a previous LSAT score or is the December test your first one? How bad is your GPA? (Are we talking 3.1 or 2.1?) What are your practice test scores at, and how consistent are they?
jimmy_t wrote:2. Is there anyway submitting my doctors to back up my GPA addendum letters detailing what I went through,, would hurt me?
It probably won't hurt you. But what you should be thinking about is, how do I show them I'm an academically serious student? What was your GPA in the semesters you didn't suffer from the condition? It'll help to say, I averaged a 3.7 when I was in remission.
jimmy_t wrote:3. There were many legal issues to my incident, and I had a first-hand glance of the legal system. If I choose to apply early, I'm going to have to move quickly. Do I mention how much respect I gained from the legal system from the jury trials, victim assistance, and the idea of being "made whole" by the justice system. Due to all of my time dealing with the fallout of the incident, would it be wise to even touch the ordeal? Or would it be safer to not make any mention of anything related to the incident outside of the GPA addendum and doctors recommendations?
I would not talk about the justice system. Admissions officers often roll their eyes at these types of essays, no matter how sincere you are about it. I would also not discuss the ordeal. Personal statements are there for you to discuss your strengths. I'm sure you have other things that you could write about. Use those topics. Leave the ordeal for the addendum.

Good luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”