Application Timing Strategy Question with Dec LSAT repeat Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gcl52

New

Application Timing Strategy Question with Dec LSAT repeat

Post by Gcl52 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Last edited by Gcl52 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jag13

Bronze

Re: Application Timing Strategy Question with Dec LSAT repeat

Post by jag13 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:46 pm

Me personally, and there may be a ton of people who disagree...but you have great stats (maybe just a little low for the higher up T14, if your PS and letters of rec are all done. I say apply. Get the app in early, and maybe even get some acceptances, then on your retake when you get your score -hopefully 170+ update the schools and use it as leverage for more scholarship money

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:08 pm

I asked Dean Meeker ( of Spivey Consulting) this same question and this was his response:

"My advice is to wait and take in December if you're not feeling ready for the September test. BUT -- work on getting your applications completed before then. I'd still submit the applications by Thanksgiving if you can (or at the latest just after the LSAT in those first few weeks of December). I know that it means you'd be submitting applications without knowing your score, but it at that point you're feeling more confident about your score, better to get the apps in before January. The schools will begin processing your application when they receive it, and it will remain incomplete until they receive your score. But at least once they receive the score your application is ready to be forwarded to committee for review. If you wait until January to apply, you're delaying the processing of the application by at least a few weeks. Plus it is right after the holiday break - many admissions offices are closed for the week from Christmas to New Year's - so there is always a deluge of applications and mail when they return, so the processing time is even longer than it is in the fall.

Bottom line: better to apply with your best application in December than with a weaker application in October. The benefit of the higher LSAT score and overall stronger application will outweigh the benefit of an earlier application with a lower LSAT score."
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gcl52

New

Post by Gcl52 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:03 am

Thank you both for your helpful replies!

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:25 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:I asked Dean Meeker ( of Spivey Consulting) this same question and this was his response:

"My advice is to wait and take in December if you're not feeling ready for the September test. BUT -- work on getting your applications completed before then. I'd still submit the applications by Thanksgiving if you can (or at the latest just after the LSAT in those first few weeks of December). I know that it means you'd be submitting applications without knowing your score, but it at that point you're feeling more confident about your score, better to get the apps in before January. The schools will begin processing your application when they receive it, and it will remain incomplete until they receive your score. But at least once they receive the score your application is ready to be forwarded to committee for review. If you wait until January to apply, you're delaying the processing of the application by at least a few weeks. Plus it is right after the holiday break - many admissions offices are closed for the week from Christmas to New Year's - so there is always a deluge of applications and mail when they return, so the processing time is even longer than it is in the fall.

Bottom line: better to apply with your best application in December than with a weaker application in October. The benefit of the higher LSAT score and overall stronger application will outweigh the benefit of an earlier application with a lower LSAT score."
It sounds like Meeker was responding to somebody who didn't already have an LSAT score though?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:15 am

stego wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:I asked Dean Meeker ( of Spivey Consulting) this same question and this was his response:

It sounds like Meeker was responding to somebody who didn't already have an LSAT score though?
Nope, not necessarily. All you have to do is to contact the schools you apply to and let them know to hold your app until your December score comes in. There was more to the message exchange where it was specified.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gcl52

New

Post by Gcl52 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:20 pm

Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”