Declining to list where else I'm applying...bad idea?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheKingLives

Bronze

Declining to list where else I'm applying...bad idea?

Postby TheKingLives » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:37 pm

Last edited by TheKingLives on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Re: Declining to list where else I'm applying...bad idea?

Postby Clearly » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:12 am

Who gives a fuck? Just rattle off the 514, sheesh.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 am

TheKingLives wrote:Hi TLS!

Chicago's JD app opened a few days ago and I noticed the application asks the following question:

"Are you applying, or have you applied, to other law schools? If so, please list them."

I've given this issue some thought, but I just prefer not to disclose where I'm applying to. The question is not required, thankfully, but I'm afraid other schools might require a response. If I'm required to respond, I'm thinking I'll write something along the lines of "I respectfully decline to answer." How would this look to someone reading my application? Would they contact me and require that I list where else I'm applying? I won't lie, of course, but I don't feel I should be compelled to answer this question. Any advice?

Just relax, you are overthinking it. Just list Akron and Cooley, so they know that you are serious, and call it a day.
Last edited by bmathers on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:18 am

It doesn't matter in the slightest. It's not information they use in evaluating your application - it's the equivalent of market research, because schools want to know who their closest competitors are. There's no reason not to answer, but no school is going to require you to answer, either.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�