Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
stratton_oakmont

New

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby stratton_oakmont » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:14 pm

bmathers wrote:Just heard back from Emory regarding fee waivers:

Here was their response: Thank you for your interest in Emory Law! We offer three types of fee waivers. First, we offer financial hardship fee waivers to applicants who have received a fee waiver from LSAC to take the LSAT exam. Second, Emory Law offers merit-based fee waivers directly to applicants through LSAC's "Candidate Referral Service." We do not grant merit-based fee waivers upon request. Third, Teach for America participants and alumni also are eligible for fee waivers. Additionally, our application is 50% off making it $40 until November 1. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

So, 50% off until Nov 1

UNC also gave me a fee waiver.

Does anyone know if Emory will send out full fee waivers soon?

Nuhopeful2017

New

Postby Nuhopeful2017 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:33 am

UCLA and Duke are the only schools that I remember giving me fee waivers. I may have gotten a few from UGA, TJ etc. but I didn't bother opening their e-mails so idk :wink:

Also got the ten day priority deal from duke. 172, 3.4 combo

Non-Urm .

I'm going to start blanketing the lower half of the t14 for fee waivers soon. Hopefully I'll come up with a few more schools.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:09 am

got an email from GULC saying they don't give fee waiver to applicants who got a fee waiver in a previous cycle :roll:.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Postby call-me-bubbles » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:16 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:36 am

proteinshake wrote:got an email from GULC saying they don't give fee waiver to applicants who got a fee waiver in a previous cycle :roll:.

Well that is just ridiculous

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:39 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
proteinshake wrote:got an email from GULC saying they don't give fee waiver to applicants who got a fee waiver in a previous cycle :roll:.

forreal. like what is even the rationale behind this???

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:41 am

proteinshake wrote:

Eh, I kind of get it actually. Especially if the applicant in question was already admitted once. If I were an adcomm I'd be like, homie, I already read your app once for free and you decided not to attend. Yer trying to make me do this again, for free?? Pass.

But, I understand why it'd be frustrating to you...

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:44 am

pretzeltime wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

Eh, I kind of get it actually. Especially if the applicant in question was already admitted once. If I were an adcomm I'd be like, homie, I already read your app once for free and you decided not to attend. Yer trying to make me do this again, for free?? Pass.

But, I understand why it'd be frustrating to you...

I applied super late and got WL tho. why can't they just be a bro like UVA?!

caitlinrw

Bronze

Postby caitlinrw » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:35 pm

Has anyone gotten or solicited a fee waiver from Vandy?

meeseeks

Silver

Postby meeseeks » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:24 pm

caitlinrw wrote:Has anyone gotten or solicited a fee waiver from Vandy?

I asked and got a generic answer saying that they would be going through the CRS starting soon to send out waivers. There was also an option to send in your academic report and fill out a form with LSAT Score, etc.

Dear [Name Removed],

Thank you for your inquiry regarding application fee waivers.

We offer merit-based fee waivers to qualifying applicants by periodically searching the Law School Admission Council’s (LSAC) Candidate Referral Service (CRS). For consideration, please sign up for CRS, and if you are selected to receive a fee waiver through that process, we will notify you by email that a waiver has been approved and your electronic application fee will be waived automatically when applying.

If your prefer not to participate in CRS, you may request an application fee waiver by writing to admissions@law.vanderbilt.edu and attaching a PDF copy of your LSAT Score Report and Academic Summary, which may be obtained from LSAC.

An applicant who is granted need-based fee waiver by LSAC will automatically have the Vanderbilt electronic application fee waived. When requesting a need-based fee waiver directly from Vanderbilt, please provide your LSAC account number, a letter explaining your financial situation and include documentation to demonstrate your need. Documentation may include current financial aid award notices from your educational institution or income tax records.

Thank you for your interest in Vanderbilt Law School. We look forward to working with you during the application process.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:16 pm

Got this from BC:

"Thank you for your email. We are still working in the admissions cycle for 2015-2016 which means that it is too early for us to process a fee waiver in the system. It would be best if you check back with us in mid September when the application becomes available."

champagnepapi

New

Postby champagnepapi » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:45 am

caitlinrw wrote:Has anyone gotten or solicited a fee waiver from Vandy?

not sure if this is helpful for you, but i received an unsolicited Vandy fee waiver last cycle (wasn't applying then, but didn't update my CRS preferences to reflect the proper matriculation year). i forwarded them that email and asked if i could get another one for this cycle, was told immediately that the waivers don't expire

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:54 am

FWIW -- I was originally given the standard "we offer fee waivers through LSAC's CRS system" line from Michigan when I asked about a fee waiver, but just logged on to start my application with them and saw that my fee had been waived. Probably had something to do with me asking.

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Postby Baby Gaga » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:37 am

I got a hidden Michigan waiver. (LSAT/GPA >75th%)

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:49 am

got a hidden Michigan waiver as well. LSAT between 25th and median, GPA between median and 75th. (retaking in Sept).

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:53 am

just realized I have a UChicago hidden waiver as well!

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:58 am

proteinshake wrote:got a hidden Michigan waiver as well. LSAT between 25th and median, GPA between median and 75th. (retaking in Sept).

You only see these hidden waivers right before submitting, correct?

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:04 am

poptart123 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:got a hidden Michigan waiver as well. LSAT between 25th and median, GPA between median and 75th. (retaking in Sept).

usually, yes. but mine was there as soon as a clicked the app - at the bottom is says "waived" and "$30" for the LSAC fee. this is probably because I'm a reapplicant and got waiver from both last cycle.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:23 pm

proteinshake wrote:
poptart123 wrote:

usually, yes. but mine was there as soon as a clicked the app - at the bottom is says "waived" and "$30" for the LSAC fee. this is probably because I'm a reapplicant and got waiver from both last cycle.

Three things: 1. Also waived! 2. I actually think Michigan must have just chosen to display their fees differently because it shows up on the first page after you select to start an app rather than at the end (which I appreciate lol). 3. Haven't solicited any fee waivers yet so they just chose me.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:32 pm

brinicolec wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
poptart123 wrote:

Three things: 1. Also waived! 2. I actually think Michigan must have just chosen to display their fees differently because it shows up on the first page after you select to start an app rather than at the end (which I appreciate lol). 3. Haven't solicited any fee waivers yet so they just chose me.

regarding #2, Chicago did the same for me. maybe they all do it like this now? not sure, I didn't get emails about fee waiver from either. are you a reapplicant?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:34 pm

proteinshake wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
poptart123 wrote:

regarding #2, Chicago did the same for me. maybe they all do it like this now? not sure, I didn't get emails about fee waiver from either. are you a reapplicant?

Hm, as far as Chicago goes, I've got nothin'... & nope, first-timer!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Has anyone successfully solicited waiver from Columbia? Online it says soliciting won't work, but I thought I heard someone who did.

Also is everyone seeing their mich waiver when they start? I asked and was told in almost no uncertain terms I would get one through CRS but still nada :cry: :cry:

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Has anyone successfully solicited waiver from Columbia? Online it says soliciting won't work, but I thought I heard someone who did.

Also is everyone seeing their mich waiver when they start? I asked and was told in almost no uncertain terms I would get one through CRS but still nada :cry: :cry:

same and same in regards to Mich. I think they will probably come through sooner or later, but I suppose I'll just hit em up in a few weeks if I still don't have the waiver...

champagnepapi

New

Postby champagnepapi » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:59 am

Successfully solicited GULC, 169, 3.6x. Mentioned a conversation I had with an adcomm at a forum I attended, not sure how much of a difference that made.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:29 am

pretzeltime wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Has anyone successfully solicited waiver from Columbia? Online it says soliciting won't work, but I thought I heard someone who did.

same and same in regards to Mich. I think they will probably come through sooner or later, but I suppose I'll just hit em up in a few weeks if I still don't have the waiver...

Yeah, my problem is that I already solicited once so I really don't want to go to them again about it. Whatever I got Duke's which means all my crs is correct I guess I'll just have to wait a little while to send it in

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?