Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
lawschool2016nyc

Bronze
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby lawschool2016nyc » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:47 pm

.
Last edited by lawschool2016nyc on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby btruj777 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:55 pm

lawschool2016nyc wrote:Can people who got Columbia/NYU fee waivers post their stats? I'm just kind of baffled I haven't gotten one.



167/3.95 URM, non-AA

ReadyToStart

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby ReadyToStart » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:47 pm

lawschool2016nyc wrote:Can people who got Columbia/NYU fee waivers post their stats? I'm just kind of baffled I haven't gotten one.

I got Columbia not NYU, but 4.02 and 169 (Non URM)

tskela

Bronze
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby tskela » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:10 pm

Out of T14 now just missing HYS, Chi and B

lawschool2016nyc wrote:Can people who got Columbia/NYU fee waivers post their stats? I'm just kind of baffled I haven't gotten one.


175
3.6x

ood

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby ood » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:53 pm

ReadyToStart wrote:
ood wrote:
ReadyToStart wrote:
ood wrote:167 3.8

unsolicited fee waiver from every t14 but HYS and BOALT

Has anyone received a waiver from Berkeley yet?

Did you take the September LSAT?
When did you receive one from NYU?


September LSAT and Oct. 21


Huh. That's disappointing since I'm at their LSAT median, and above the 75th for GPA. Do you think I should try and solicit one from them? They're the only T14 that I'm waiting on.


I have AmeriCorps, and I'm URM. I don't think LSAC knows I'm Americorps, but they do know I'm URM.

Chipotle85

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby Chipotle85 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:12 pm

Just got Texas

URM_lawnerd

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby URM_lawnerd » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:26 pm

URM_lawnerd wrote:Just warning you guys in advance, please don't hate me! Also, this is my first post on TLS!!

URM Latino dude, 3.4 GPA (3.39 per LSAC wtfff) (change of majors lol), September 2016 LSAT score of 160. Since receiving my score last week, I've received a ton of unsolicited waivers, including:
Penn, Michigan, UVA (my top choice), Duke, Vanderbilt, Emory, Boston U, Georgia, U of Washington (actually that was sent after I attended the DC Law school fair on 9/23/16), William and Mary, and other lower-ranked schools obviously.

I've solicited from several other schools, like UNC, and received all EXCEPT Alabama, which rejected my proverbial advances yesterday lol

Let me know if any of this is normal since I definitely didn't expect a shower of waivers - and I plan to ask for more in the coming days and I suppose also after I take the December LSAT.


Since yesterday, I've received Texas, WashU, Maryland, and Florida unsolicited. Filled out the form for Northwestern after reading a few threads mentioning that option and I received that waiver. Cheers!

KatCoco

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:49 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby KatCoco » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:32 pm

lawschool2016nyc wrote:Can people who got Columbia/NYU fee waivers post their stats? I'm just kind of baffled I haven't gotten one.


I'm also confused about Columbia... LSAT at 50th and GPA above 75th. Maybe they're targeting splitters?

Sawtooth

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby Sawtooth » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:39 pm

I have a 171 and a 3.55 and have gotten NYU down EXCEPT Cornell. Kinda bugging me, I really don’t want to fork out that 80 bucks.

User avatar
ws120

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:21 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby ws120 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:42 pm

Columbia down (except UC, Berkeley, NW) 177 and 3.66.

User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby taxman14 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:04 am

Odd that I didn't get a waiver for Columbia. I wonder if this is something that comes in waves or if I'll actually have to fork over that $85...

URM_lawnerd

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby URM_lawnerd » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:20 am

I'm surprised that the topic of the CAS Report Fees doesn't come up often. Is it just me or are those fees a real racket? I know there's really no way to get out of them besides getting an LSAC Waiver - which still only entitles you to 4 free reports - but there's gotta be a movement somewhere to get those fees down or eliminate them. I imagine the "Reports" are all handled automatically by a computer and sent to schools electronically, why is there a fee for every school?

It's ridiculous to me.

caitlinrw

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby caitlinrw » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:36 am

URM_lawnerd wrote:I'm surprised that the topic of the CAS Report Fees doesn't come up often. Is it just me or are those fees a real racket? I know there's really no way to get out of them besides getting an LSAC Waiver - which still only entitles you to 4 free reports - but there's gotta be a movement somewhere to get those fees down or eliminate them. I imagine the "Reports" are all handled automatically by a computer and sent to schools electronically, why is there a fee for every school?

It's ridiculous to me.


I agree. But I imagine they'll keep increasing the prices of them to, imo, weed those out who are just applying to law school because they "don't have other options." Nobody is gonna pay these fees in future years who doesn't actually WANT to be in this profession.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:19 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:15 am

URM_lawnerd wrote:I'm surprised that the topic of the CAS Report Fees doesn't come up often. Is it just me or are those fees a real racket? I know there's really no way to get out of them besides getting an LSAC Waiver - which still only entitles you to 4 free reports - but there's gotta be a movement somewhere to get those fees down or eliminate them. I imagine the "Reports" are all handled automatically by a computer and sent to schools electronically, why is there a fee for every school?

It's ridiculous to me.

Amen. They have a monopoly and they exploit the hell out of it.

ReadyToStart

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby ReadyToStart » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:30 am

neubyneu wrote:
ReadyToStart wrote:
ood wrote:
ReadyToStart wrote:
ood wrote:167 3.8

unsolicited fee waiver from every t14 but HYS and BOALT

Has anyone received a waiver from Berkeley yet?

Did you take the September LSAT?
When did you receive one from NYU?


September LSAT and Oct. 21


Huh. That's disappointing since I'm at their LSAT median, and above the 75th for GPA. Do you think I should try and solicit one from them? They're the only T14 that I'm waiting on.


If you do, let us know how that goes. I'm above their 75ths and never got a fee waiver. Took LSAT in June. They're the only one I'm missing too.


Update: They politely rejected my solicitation.

wygsys

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby wygsys » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:42 am

I got Columbia yesterday. Not sure if it shall be deemed unsolicited...coz I requested one earlier but got turned down...then I received one from CRS via email... btw I'm an international applicant and dont' have LSAC GPA...

User avatar
neubyneu

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby neubyneu » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:48 am

ReadyToStart wrote:
neubyneu wrote:
ReadyToStart wrote:
ood wrote:
ReadyToStart wrote:
ood wrote:167 3.8

unsolicited fee waiver from every t14 but HYS and BOALT

Has anyone received a waiver from Berkeley yet?

Did you take the September LSAT?
When did you receive one from NYU?


September LSAT and Oct. 21


Huh. That's disappointing since I'm at their LSAT median, and above the 75th for GPA. Do you think I should try and solicit one from them? They're the only T14 that I'm waiting on.


If you do, let us know how that goes. I'm above their 75ths and never got a fee waiver. Took LSAT in June. They're the only one I'm missing too.


Update: They politely rejected my solicitation.


Thanks for the update. Does anyone have any theories about why this might be happening to ReadyToStart and me? It's not like the school knows anything about us besides our numbers at this point. I'm really more curious than anything now.

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby btruj777 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:22 am

neubyneu wrote:
ReadyToStart wrote:
neubyneu wrote:
ReadyToStart wrote:
ood wrote:
ReadyToStart wrote:
ood wrote:167 3.8

unsolicited fee waiver from every t14 but HYS and BOALT

Has anyone received a waiver from Berkeley yet?

Did you take the September LSAT?
When did you receive one from NYU?


September LSAT and Oct. 21


Huh. That's disappointing since I'm at their LSAT median, and above the 75th for GPA. Do you think I should try and solicit one from them? They're the only T14 that I'm waiting on.


If you do, let us know how that goes. I'm above their 75ths and never got a fee waiver. Took LSAT in June. They're the only one I'm missing too.


Update: They politely rejected my solicitation.


Thanks for the update. Does anyone have any theories about why this might be happening to ReadyToStart and me? It's not like the school knows anything about us besides our numbers at this point. I'm really more curious than anything now.




I have a theory and 100% possible fiction. But this could be a secondary type of YP.

If you guys have the numbers where you may be able to go way above this school and they do not think you will go to Columbia then making you pay the $80 would be an expression of desire to attend their school?

AS opposed to having you WL or you reject them, this could be a way to weed out people who are just applying for fun or only when they have less barriers to entry (the $80).

If the school was the one you would go to, then $80 should not deter you (I think they think this).

But this position leaves out a very import fact of life.

Many of us applicants have a certain preference to a a school but would only commit to it if it really made financial sense in the long run. For example, UChi is my dream school, but would I go to Penn or UVA or NU given a Full ride? Perhaps.

If what I say is true then Columbia ignores this fact by trying to uncover committed applicants by having them pay.
Last edited by btruj777 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
SixSigma

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:05 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby SixSigma » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:22 am

WUSTL
American University
San Diego
Pitt
Roger Williams
Thomas Jefferson
Golden Gate
Creighton
Baltimore
Cardozo
Michigan State
North Kentucky
Penn State
CWRU
Iowa
George Mason
Washburn
Concordia
Catholic
Western State
Charlotte
Tulsa
Southwestern
Delaware
Valparaiso
Indiana
Hastings

User avatar
Purple Post It Note

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby Purple Post It Note » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:53 pm

.
Last edited by Purple Post It Note on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby Alexandros » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:58 pm

btruj777 wrote:
neubyneu wrote:
ReadyToStart wrote:
neubyneu wrote:
ReadyToStart wrote:
ood wrote:
ReadyToStart wrote:Did you take the September LSAT?
When did you receive one from NYU?


September LSAT and Oct. 21


Huh. That's disappointing since I'm at their LSAT median, and above the 75th for GPA. Do you think I should try and solicit one from them? They're the only T14 that I'm waiting on.


If you do, let us know how that goes. I'm above their 75ths and never got a fee waiver. Took LSAT in June. They're the only one I'm missing too.


Update: They politely rejected my solicitation.


Thanks for the update. Does anyone have any theories about why this might be happening to ReadyToStart and me? It's not like the school knows anything about us besides our numbers at this point. I'm really more curious than anything now.




I have a theory and 100% possible fiction. But this could be a secondary type of YP.

If you guys have the numbers where you may be able to go way above this school and they do not think you will go to Columbia then making you pay the $80 would be an expression of desire to attend their school?

AS opposed to having you WL or you reject them, this could be a way to weed out people who are just applying for fun or only when they have less barriers to entry (the $80).

If the school was the one you would go to, then $80 should not deter you (I think they think this).

But this position leaves out a very import fact of life.

Many of us applicants have a certain preference to a a school but would only commit to it if it really made financial sense in the long run. For example, UChi is my dream school, but would I go to Penn or UVA or NU given a Full ride? Perhaps.

If what I say is true then Columbia ignores this fact by trying to uncover committed applicants by having them pay.

Anecdotal, but self-reported GPA of "3.75+" and 177+ LSAT (September) and out of the t14 literally only gotten Penn. I was thinking this was because my graduating year is listed as 2018 and no transcript uploaded, or int'l UG, in case they have some filter, but now I'm not sure.

You would think they'd *want* you to apply, so they can say they had a bigger applicant pool. But your reasoning here makes sense. Ugh. I really don't want to have to dish out thousands on the application process. Seems a cruel reward for high numbers. :roll:

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby btruj777 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Alexandros wrote:
You would think they'd *want* you to apply, so they can say they had a bigger applicant pool. But your reasoning here makes sense. Ugh. I really don't want to have to dish out thousands on the application process. Seems a cruel reward for high numbers. :roll:


I know, (assuming this theory to be true) you are being rewarded by having to pay money for an app (BS), and if you blanket t14 thats a hefty price. It seems like its easier (for schools) to cast a wide net to people to with lower numbers (to increase applicant pool) and reject them quickly (decrease acceptance rate) but this may not work with higher numbers because they want to accept you, but they do not know if you want to accept them, so they have option (A) YP or option (B) have you guys (my brosephs with da high numbers) express actual interest by paying money. In a sick sick way, (which makes me hope I am wrong) in this fashion they offset the costs of being able to decrease acceptance rate by rejecting low numbers by having YOU guys pay money. SO for them its WIN WIN They see it like this maybe:

1. Only the people with high numbers that would consider going to the school would pay the $85
2. They increase applicant pool with lower apps from lower numbers with fee waivers
3. They decrease acceptance rates
4. They offset the cost of 2 and 3 with the money from 1

But why not simply YP the higher numbers? Well they cant do number 4 and I imagine it is (1) less trouble and (2) they stand to be less offensive to the people they actually want (because having to pay $80 hurts less than having been WL + the deterrent effect of having to write a letter to express interest after being YP).


TOTAL SPECULATION AND HIGHLY UNLIKELY BUT FUN TO THINK ABOUT

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby Alexandros » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:21 pm

btruj777 wrote:
I know, (assuming this theory to be true) you are being rewarded by having to pay money for an app (BS), and if you blanket t14 thats a hefty price. It seems like its easier (for schools) to cast a wide net to people to with lower numbers (to increase applicant pool) and reject them quickly (decrease acceptance rate) but this may not work with higher numbers because they want to accept you, but they do not know if you want to accept them, so they have option (A) YP or option (B) have you guys (my brosephs with da high numbers) express actual interest by paying money. In a sick sick way, (which makes me hope I am wrong) in this fashion they offset the costs of being able to decrease acceptance rate by rejecting low numbers by having YOU guys pay money. SO for them its WIN WIN They see it like this maybe:

1. Only the people with high numbers that would consider going to the school would pay the $85
2. They increase applicant pool with lower apps from lower numbers with fee waivers
3. They decrease acceptance rates
4. They offset the cost of 2 and 3 with the money from 1

But why not simply YP the higher numbers? Well they cant do number 4 and I imagine it is (1) less trouble and (2) they stand to be less offensive to the people they actually want (because having to pay $80 hurts less than having been WL + the deterrent effect of having to write a letter to express interest after being YP).


TOTAL SPECULATION AND HIGHLY UNLIKELY BUT FUN TO THINK ABOUT

Ugh, I also hope you're wrong, but that really does make sense. Especially as NYU and CLS don't really do much actual YP-ing at the level of acceptance, so encouraging people with high numbers to apply isn't going to do much for their acceptance rate.

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby goldenbear2020 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:36 pm

.
Last edited by goldenbear2020 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Unsolicited Fee Waivers 2017

Postby btruj777 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Alexandros wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
I know, (assuming this theory to be true) you are being rewarded by having to pay money for an app (BS), and if you blanket t14 thats a hefty price. It seems like its easier (for schools) to cast a wide net to people to with lower numbers (to increase applicant pool) and reject them quickly (decrease acceptance rate) but this may not work with higher numbers because they want to accept you, but they do not know if you want to accept them, so they have option (A) YP or option (B) have you guys (my brosephs with da high numbers) express actual interest by paying money. In a sick sick way, (which makes me hope I am wrong) in this fashion they offset the costs of being able to decrease acceptance rate by rejecting low numbers by having YOU guys pay money. SO for them its WIN WIN They see it like this maybe:

1. Only the people with high numbers that would consider going to the school would pay the $85
2. They increase applicant pool with lower apps from lower numbers with fee waivers
3. They decrease acceptance rates
4. They offset the cost of 2 and 3 with the money from 1

But why not simply YP the higher numbers? Well they cant do number 4 and I imagine it is (1) less trouble and (2) they stand to be less offensive to the people they actually want (because having to pay $80 hurts less than having been WL + the deterrent effect of having to write a letter to express interest after being YP).


TOTAL SPECULATION AND HIGHLY UNLIKELY BUT FUN TO THINK ABOUT

Ugh, I also hope you're wrong, but that really does make sense. Especially as NYU and CLS don't really do much actual YP-ing at the level of acceptance, so encouraging people with high numbers to apply isn't going to do much for their acceptance rate.


Well so lets turn it into a positive.

If I am correct, then you know that Columbia will be honored when you apply, a great PLUS PLUS if you ACTUALLY want to go, or at least would go given the $$.

If I am wrong, then there has to be an alt. cause as to why YOU didnt get a fee waiver. (perhaps someone dropped the ball somewhere or they didnt even know you existed for some reason). IF this is so, then by applying you put them on notice of who you are - a very strong candidate.


In either case you look favorable to Columbia by fokring out the 85, if you have zero interest in the school then you just saved at least $30!!!!!



It could be worse,

I got a fee waiver....and if I am right...I just paid for a $30 rejection letter with a nice header. (3.95/167/URM hispanic)



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spectrum and 7 guests