Does anyone have general advice for what to do next?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawschoolHopeful2k16

New

Does anyone have general advice for what to do next?

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi all, I have been a lurker on these forums for a while.

I plan on applying this cycle. My stats are 3.48 and 170.

Can anyone point me toward a sort of timeline explaining when it would be best to do each step in the law school application process? As in when should I send my transcript to the LSAC, when should I apply to where? (I've found some online but they're pretty generic and/or geared towards people who are just trying to get into any law school at all)

More specifically, does anyone know if I should do things according to a slightly different time frame because of my particular situation (what schools I'm targeting, I'm trying to sell them on my potential rather than track record, schools, low gpa but with an upward trend from 3.08 to 3.5 to 3.6 to 3.8 each year, how short of a duration I've held my most recent job for, etc.)

My dream school was Columbia but it doesn't look like I have a shot there. However, if I want to maximize my almost nonexistent chances of getting in there does anyone know anything I could do that would help? For instance maybe they in particular really like letters of recommendation from professors, but not bosses etc.

Same thing for NYU and Uchi, I have slim chances getting accepted there, but would really love getting in there.

I would also prefer to go to UVA or Penn or maybe Duke, although almost any t14 would be fine with me.

Is there any list or compilation of data that shows what schools have certain quirks and prefer certain things?

So far I have one letter of recommendation from he senator whose office I interned at. I'm going to get another from this professor that I had for a couple small classes so she knows me. Should I get a third one from another professor? The one from the internship might be fairly generic. But at the same time I'm not sure that I could get another quality one from a professor since the only professors I know well are tough and have the mindset that someone should only be praised if they are truly remarkable, not just an A-/A student.

Also I only recently started working in my current job a month ago. So if I put that on my resume and an adcomm sees that I was there for only 6 weeks so far and haven't done much there yet, it won't look great. At the same time, the only thing I can think of that would make my work experience better would be to hold on on applying to schools for a couple months or at least a few weeks. But that wouldn't make much of a difference probably and would only end up undermining my edge gained by applying early in the cycle.

I definitely want to apply this cycle and my backup plan is to probably just wait another year to apply and just work in the meantime if I don't get accepted into a school that I really like.

I was originally disappointed with my LSAT score because I under-performed, but now I am trying to make the best of things and get the ball rolling on my applications.

Any help you can give me is appreciated!

tl;dr:
Is there a link that someone can give me to a timeline for when to do each part of the application process? And is there any list or compilation of data that shows what schools have certain quirks and prefer certain things?
Last edited by LawschoolHopeful2k16 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caitlinrw

Bronze

Re: Does anyone have general advice for what to do next?

Postby caitlinrw » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:31 pm

LawschoolHopeful2k16 wrote:Hi all, I have been a lurker on these forums for a while.

I plan on applying this cycle. My stats are 3.58 and 170.

Can anyone point me toward a sort of timeline explaining when it would be best to do each step in the law school application process? As in when should I send my transcript to the LSAC, when should I apply to where? (I've found some online but they're pretty generic and/or geared towards people who are just trying to get into any law school at all)

More specifically, does anyone know if I should do things according to a slightly different time frame because of my particular situation (what schools I'm targeting, I'm trying to sell them on my potential rather than track record, schools, low gpa but with an upward trend from 3.08 to 3.5 to 3.6 to 3.8 each year, how short of a duration I've held my most recent job for, etc.)

My dream school was Columbia but it doesn't look like I have a shot there. However, if I want to maximize my almost nonexistent chances of getting in there does anyone know anything I could do that would help? For instance maybe they in particular really like letters of recommendation from professors, but not bosses etc.

Same thing for NYU and Uchi, I have slim chances getting accepted there, but would really love getting in there.

I would also prefer to go to UVA or Penn or maybe Duke, although almost any t14 would be fine with me.

Is there any list or compilation of data that shows what schools have certain quirks and prefer certain things?

So far I have one letter of recommendation from he senator whose office I interned at. I'm going to get another from this professor that I had for a couple small classes so she knows me. Should I get a third one from another professor? The one from the internship might be fairly generic. But at the same time I'm not sure that I could get another quality one from a professor since the only professors I know well are tough and have the mindset that someone should only be praised if they are truly remarkable, not just an A-/A student.

Also I only recently started working in my current job a month ago. So if I put that on my resume and an adcomm sees that I was there for only 6 weeks so far and haven't done much there yet, it won't look great. At the same time, the only thing I can think of that would make my work experience better would be to hold on on applying to schools for a couple months or at least a few weeks. But that wouldn't make much of a difference probably and would only end up undermining my edge gained by applying early in the cycle.

I definitely want to apply this cycle and my backup plan is to probably just wait another year to apply and just work in the meantime if I don't get accepted into a school that I really like.

I was originally disappointed with my LSAT score because I under-performed, but now I am trying to make the best of things and get the ball rolling on my applications.

Any help you can give me is appreciated!

tl;dr:
Is there a link that someone can give me to a timeline for when to do each part of the application process? And is there any list or compilation of data that shows what schools have certain quirks and prefer certain things?

Hi! As far as the first part of your question, you can honestly go ahead and send in your transcript now, the sooner the better. I sent mine in by mail via the college registrar and it got there in about 5 days, so you can go ahead and know your LSDAS GPA (that's the GPA that law schools will be looking at). Make sure you have one sent from every school you've gotten college credits from, even if it was high school as well. If I come across more knowledge on your other questions I will help answer those! Hope someone else can help you answer as well and good luck!

LawschoolHopeful2k16

New

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:33 pm

Thanks Caitlin RW!

LawschoolHopeful2k16

New

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:52 pm

Anyone else have any suggestions?

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:58 pm

There aren't any real quirks regarding this at admissions departments. Just submit as early as possible. The worst possible scenario is that the school doesn't start reviewing applications until later in the cycle, but no one penalizes you for submitting early.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�