Just how likely are good scholarships anyway?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
parkave

New

Just how likely are good scholarships anyway?

Postby parkave » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Just curious. I'm a few years away from applying, and I'm wondering if people ever really do get good scholarships to law school? At this point, a solid financial aid package would be the only way I would attend because I'd rather not go into huge, life crushing debt.

So my question is this. Let's say a hypothetical 4.0 student, 172 LSAT person applies to a bunch of T-14 schools. How many of them would give good scholarships?*

*I am by no means insinuating I am that student. I'm just curious!

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Just how likely are good scholarships anyway?

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:11 pm

parkave wrote:Just curious. I'm a few years away from applying, and I'm wondering if people ever really do get good scholarships to law school? At this point, a solid financial aid package would be the only way I would attend because I'd rather not go into huge, life crushing debt.

So my question is this. Let's say a hypothetical 4.0 student, 172 LSAT person applies to a bunch of T-14 schools. How many of them would give good scholarships?*

mylsn.info
Also, retake.

parkave

New

Postby parkave » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:19 pm

Good idea. I had no idea that something like mylsn even existed! Themoreyouknow.jpg. Thanks :)

I have a 4.0 GPA from a respectable state school, but the LSAT is the up-for-grabs part of the equation for me. I'm a really good tester and am horrifically bad at math (yay for no math!), so I am just shooting out some insanely high numbers to see what I could expect in the .00001% chance that I actually scored that well. I scored very high on my SAT, AP exams and SAT IIs but I'm 27 and that was ages ago.

In the meantime I'm working for a few years to save up so I can put a dent in loans. I don't expect to be offered a scholarship so my worst case scenario is plunking down 30k right away and pretending my tuition is whatever it is minus that right up front. Sigh. I'm really averse to loans but they're a necessary evil.

Thanks again!

GoGreen17

New

Postby GoGreen17 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:04 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
parkave wrote:Just curious. I'm a few years away from applying, and I'm wondering if people ever really do get good scholarships to law school? At this point, a solid financial aid package would be the only way I would attend because I'd rather not go into huge, life crushing debt.

mylsn.info
Also, retake.

Keep in mind that mylsn is a small sample number. The types of people that report their info to mylsn are more likely to be the super motivated, high number types of applicants. They'll also be more likely to report a full ride scholarship than just a few thousand dollars so those numbers are likely skewed too.

Your best bet is to research schools you're interested in and then read their ABA information. These will give you more reliable and detailed info on what types of scholarships they give and how many people get them.

ek5dn

Bronze

Postby ek5dn » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:09 pm

parkave wrote:Good idea. I had no idea that something like mylsn even existed! Themoreyouknow.jpg. Thanks :)

I have a 4.0 GPA from a respectable state school, but the LSAT is the up-for-grabs part of the equation for me. I'm a really good tester and am horrifically bad at math (yay for no math!), so I am just shooting out some insanely high numbers to see what I could expect in the .00001% chance that I actually scored that well. I scored very high on my SAT, AP exams and SAT IIs but I'm 27 and that was ages ago.

In the meantime I'm working for a few years to save up so I can put a dent in loans. I don't expect to be offered a scholarship so my worst case scenario is plunking down 30k right away and pretending my tuition is whatever it is minus that right up front. Sigh. I'm really averse to loans but they're a necessary evil.

Thanks again!

Hate to break it to you, but generally people who excel in math do well on the LSATs because of logic games. If the reason you're bad at math is because you're bad at word problems and that kind of thinking, I would suggest taking a diagnostic for the LSATs to see what your score range is.

Btw, I hate math, too lol. Luckily, the LR and RC sections saved my score

parkave

New

Postby parkave » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:14 pm

Haha, no hard feelings. I actually really like "logical" math and word problems and especially proofs. I'm awful at calculus and algebra! The logic questions are my favorite because they're like mini games.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:15 pm

GoGreen17 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

mylsn.info
Also, retake.

Keep in mind that mylsn is a small sample number. The types of people that report their info to mylsn are more likely to be the super motivated, high number types of applicants. They'll also be more likely to report a full ride scholarship than just a few thousand dollars so those numbers are likely skewed too.

Your best bet is to research schools you're interested in and then read their ABA information. These will give you more reliable and detailed info on what types of scholarships they give and how many people get them.

But it's more varied in reported scholarship awards than just showing the 25/50/75 and the % students w/ scholly aid. But yes, should check ABA reports as well. I guess I shouldn't've assumed OP did homework/read around before posting.

parkave

New

Postby parkave » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will try to check school information specifically.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�